Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I apologize then, I'm just tired of seeing so many people posting bad information, and you taking only a snippet of my post and using it as a segway to talk about how low the gens are I had assumed that you were taking his side.

I'm talking more in the lines of people thinking they know everything and post certain verbiage to make them seem more legit.
No worries. All good. šŸ‘
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,ā€˜21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this was the thread I was looking for when I posted this

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/another-alternator-versus-mud-guess-who-won.44918

Yes it was stupid, yes it was muddy, but only the Bronco was the one that died (and would have left the driver stranded) because of muddy water in the alternator.
@Ford Motor Company needs to address this issue. Whatā€™s the point of 33.3ā€ fording depth of its just going to kill the alternator? Then the snorkel on the Everglades only gives you 3 more inches??

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company needs to address this issue. Whatā€™s the point of 33.3ā€ fording depth of its just going to kill the alternator? Then the snorkel on the Everglades only gives you 3 more inches??
Well water fording isn't the issue.. technically it is Mud Fording and I guess that's not part of their claim :)

the guy in the video didn't even totally get out of the mud pit before his quit!

Last edited:

HuffDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66' Bronco, 18' F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Itā€™s not the water that ruins them itā€™s the contaminants in the water. Very unfortunate you had a failure first round. Sounds like it was already ready to fail.

Also fun fact there are two alternator options per engine, 210 and 250. Waiting to see when someone does a 250 amp upgrade and relocation.
Come on folks. I know nothing about off-roading but I am an electronics kind of guy, and you put the electrical components up higher if possible. Of course water is bad for an alternator. How can water be good for your charging system? They just overlooked it and hopefully they come up with a solution to improve future models.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Come on folks. I know nothing about off-roading but I am an electronics kind of guy, and you put the electrical components up higher if possible. Of course water is bad for an alternator. How can water be good for your charging system? They just overlooked it and hopefully they come up with a solution to improve future models.
It wasnā€™t overlooked it was neglected. There wasnā€™t time in development to relocate the alternator on an otherwise finished power plant design. A relocation to a higher point is in the works for a cycle refresh it just wasnā€™t possible to execute for the initial release.

During development there was generally minimal issues (0.8% failure rate) though yes of course risk is there and acknowledged.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welp, mine went out. 8600 miles. 3 day wait for the part. Caused every error possible to pop up as it slowly killed things off.

589A0275-631A-4701-BF19-CD1684D850A2.jpeg

ECBBD41A-3ED7-49A6-A9B6-F0E34D269EC6.jpeg

E0A906A8-9EDA-417C-8C64-6238D863D4B2.jpeg

7A3D6646-0F9F-4415-8F2E-DB635B6CBEEE.jpeg
Welp mine went out Wednesday. 8627 miles.
As the voltage went down on the way to the dealer, more and more things shut off, then it died in an intersection and parking brake came on. Couldnā€™t open my tailgate to get inside my rear enclosure where my jumper cables were. Great time at 7:30am in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town.

had been through many of mud puddles. But guess one from the Saturday before killed it, or washing the Bronco did? Hope to have the part in Monday.

D3F2F4B2-A33A-4323-AD54-BC02382F8EA2.jpeg
C6E8C9DC-D620-4156-956F-A4D67DC3E0A6.jpeg

62435FDB-7932-423D-80CD-64C8D8870977.jpeg
78C7BEB3-B57C-4DF8-BE7F-4988460DEE23.jpeg
I experienced the exact same thing... also on a Wednesday and also dead at an intersection.. 9,300 mile 2.7. My dealer/service advisor told me what failed in my case was a bad voltage regulator and he said it was due to a factory defect, nothing anyone did. Therefore this is easily a warranty item. I was so afraid that if it turned out to be the alternator, they might blame off-roading or something, due to how many have been denied but thankfully my dealer has been honest and fantastic at every turn.

I have gone off-road a couple times, but just some dirt trails and I kept my truck/alternator as far from mud as possible, due to knowing the issues people have had. With that said, it's been a few thousand miles since our last trail ride as well so it is 100% not related to anything I did.

mine did the same and my dealership is denying itā€™s covered by warranty, even though Ford Warranty and team Bronco said it should be.

what was your outcome?
Did you end up getting it covered? Did you specifically ask which part of the alternator failed for further clarification?

WhiteTrash

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I experienced the exact same thing... also on a Wednesday and also dead at an intersection.. 9,300 mile 2.7. My dealer/service advisor told me what failed in my case was a bad voltage regulator and he said it was due to a factory defect, nothing anyone did. Therefore this is easily a warranty item. I was so afraid that if it turned out to be the alternator, they might blame off-roading or something, due to how many have been denied but thankfully my dealer has been honest and fantastic at every turn.

I have gone off-road a couple times, but just some dirt trails and I kept my truck/alternator as far from mud as possible, due to knowing the issues people have had. With that said, it's been a few thousand miles since our last trail ride as well so it is 100% not related to anything I did.

Did you end up getting it covered? Did you specifically ask which part of the alternator failed for further clarification?
My car is dead at the mechanic at the moment. I donā€™t trust my local dealer not to squeeze me, my buying process was rough. I was very deep in the water and mud, so I think it wonā€™t be covered anyway.
Sponsored