Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Update on the alternator. It is at my local ford dealer. They are replacing the alternator under warranty. I wish it was not an issue as I would like to take this serious off-roading in the future and around here there are puddles all over in the woods.
Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update on the alternator. It is at my local ford dealer. They are replacing the alternator under warranty. I wish it was not an issue as I would like to take this serious off-roading in the future and around here there are puddles all over in the woods.
What the dealer tell you? was this a fluke or is it truly a packaging flaw by the designers?

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What the dealer tell you? was this a fluke or is it truly a packaging flaw by the designers?
They didn’t say. Just said it was bad. Didn’t have any mud or water in it they could see.

GeoPR787

Big Bend
First Name
Georshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How did you manage with warranty? Did you paid out of pocket or did Ford covered the damage to the alternator? Same happened to me and service diagnostics said it was negligent driving. 👀 so my warranty was declined.

Unfortunately, I did go through muddy water. Alternator failed within a week. Was not submerged and vehicle was never stopped in water. Up to this point, I was absolutely loving the Bronco. Now I am really concerned about its potential limitations (and pissed that I am stranded for our family Thanksgiving trip).

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer was very easy with the repair. They just said it would be covered by warranty. I am not sure how they could determine negligent driving. Ford has a published water fording that is higher than the alternator. So the alternator is going to get wet. Just a bad location if it is that vulnerable.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer was very easy with the repair. They just said it would be covered by warranty. I am not sure how they could determine negligent driving. Ford has a published water fording that is higher than the alternator. So the alternator is going to get wet. Just a bad location if it is that vulnerable.
Actually, Ford literature shows (I just pulled the 2021 and 2021 specs to see if they changed, they did not) has a disclaimer that it is a maximum value (not a minimum), not that all Broncos do it (even adding that it is based on Sasquatch package). It is no different then them claiming the class leading crawl ratio, the best break over angle, torque output, etc. They are not claiming every Bronco meets these specs, it is specific models with specific options that max them out in different ways. Break over angle, it is on the two door, crawl ratio is on the manual with the 4A transfer case, and... water fording is with Sasquatch (highest suspension and tire, the 2.3 (higher alternator).

You are short on suspension, tire, and have an optional engine that keeps the alternator stupid low for water fording. You are not going to get the maximum fording (break over angle, or ground clearance either).

Edit; spelling

Last edited:

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welp, mine went out. 8600 miles. 3 day wait for the part. Caused every error possible to pop up as it slowly killed things off.

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 589A0275-631A-4701-BF19-CD1684D850A2

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) ECBBD41A-3ED7-49A6-A9B6-F0E34D269EC6

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) E0A906A8-9EDA-417C-8C64-6238D863D4B2

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 7A3D6646-0F9F-4415-8F2E-DB635B6CBEEE

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welp, mine went out. 8600 miles. 3 day wait for the part. Caused every error possible to pop up as it slowly killed things off.

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 7A3D6646-0F9F-4415-8F2E-DB635B6CBEEE

Did you go offroad? @StickerFab had his go out as well when it got wet offroading IIRC. Seems to be an issue on 2.7s

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you go offroad? @StickerFab had his go out as well when it got wet offroading IIRC. Seems to be an issue on 2.7s
I did, 4 days prior. And had other time as well the last 4-5 months.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know why, but today I'm struggling with this. If you Google overlanding alternator, or water fording alternator, You will find a lot of results where people have had their alternators go out after going through dirty water.

These Broncos seem very sensitive to electronics. There are posts in the F-150 and in the Ford ranger forums about people with issues with their alternators, and I'm not talking about people that abuse their vehicles and went mud bogging.

I know people seem to have things against Jeep, but the reality is, they have experience when it comes to off road wisdom.

3.6 Pentastar... On top
2.0 Turbo ... Near top/mid on side
3.0 diesel ... On top

Ford 2.3 ... Mid/low on side
Ford 2.7 ... ???
Ford 3.0 Raptor ... Lower right side?

What is odd is that it appears Ford moves the alternator In various positions depending on which vehicle the 2.7 is being put into. So now I'm starting to wonder if they stuck the alternator down low because that's the only place they could fit it... All while ignoring the fact that's the worst location.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Alternators do not have an inherent problem of going bad when under water. There is way too much speculation going on here to blame engineers of putting the alternator in the wrong spot.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Alternators do not have an inherent problem of going bad when under water. There is way too much speculation going on here to blame engineers of putting the alternator in the wrong spot.
Speculation and blame aside:

Alternators do have problems when running in water and dirty, muddy water makes it even worse as you are introducing grit into a spinning, electrical assembly.

Electricity and water do not mix, not matter how you look at it.

I used to do a lot of mud runs, deep mud holes, etc. The alternator was the number one part that failed. Usually had to replace them once a year in my old Toyota pick-up, where the alternator was the lower accessory drive item.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Speculation and blame aside:

Alternators do have problems when running in water and dirty, muddy water makes it even worse as you are introducing grit into a spinning, electrical assembly.

Electricity and water do not mix, not matter how you look at it.

I used to do a lot of mud runs, deep mud holes, etc. The alternator was the number one part that failed. Usually had to replace them once a year in my old Toyota pick-up, where the alternator was the lower accessory drive item.
My Suzuki X-90 had a low alternator, I had to always keep a spare after if I were on any off-road trip because muddy waters would kill it that day or a few days later.

Hopefully someone comes up with a relocation, protector, or extreme environement friendly alternator for the Bronco.