Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove my Badlands 2.7 mid package tonight. Got a warning that my charging system needed service and I wasn’t getting a charge. The alternator came back on. Then stopped again - same thing happened and it came back on. Third drive, the alternator never started working. Curious if anyone has had a similar issue or knows of some Ford alternator quirk. Really upset because I need the Bronco to drive to NY and then Pittsburg for Thanksgiving.
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove my Badlands 2.7 mid package tonight. Got a warning that my charging system needed service and I wasn’t getting a charge. The alternator came back on. Then stopped again - same thing happened and it came back on. Third drive, the alternator never started working. Curious if anyone has had a similar issue or knows of some Ford alternator quirk. Really upset because I need the Bronco to drive to NY and then Pittsburg for Thanksgiving.
sorry ..that sucks are you looking at the gauge to know if Alt isnt working?

in the old days a quick test would have been To get the vehicle running and disconnect a battery cable real quick and see if the engine stayed running. If so Alternator was probably ok.

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, gauge says 12.2V. Should be 13.9 to 14s. When it came back on, it jumped from 12.2V to 13.9. On the Bronco Sport forum there was a similar issue. Seems the alternator connector corroded. I did take it off roading and the bottom half of the engine bay did get wet from splashing. Assuming a corroded connector… guess the Badlands bronco can’t get wet?? That is going to be a big problem.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, gauge says 12.2V. Should be 13.9 to 14s. When it came back on, it jumped from 12.2V to 13.9. On the Bronco Sport forum there was a similar issue. Seems the alternator connector corroded. I did take it off roading and the bottom half of the engine bay did get wet from splashing. Assuming a corroded connector… guess the Badlands bronco can’t get wet?? That is going to be a big problem.
ugh ...that would be some quick corrosion

Sponsored

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like quite a few gremlins with the 2.7’s lately

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there concern of the alternator's location on the 2.7? Seems like last year, people had mentioned that it was mounted low and would be a concern.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe I am wrong, but wouldn't this also likely apply to the 2.3 location as well? Not saying OP is correct they caused it but it's concerning regardless.

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dumb question...your battery terminals are tight? I saw another thread where they weren't, and obviously that would put extra load on the alternator if it was disconnected/poorly connected.
Yeah might check the wires connecting to the fuse block in the bay as well. I've heard the ground wire can be loose and cause charging issues.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there concern of the alternator's location on the 2.7? Seems like last year, people had mentioned that it was mounted low and would be a concern.
Starter is what I usually see people complain about. Its on the bottom of the engine which is normal for Ford Ecoboosts. It's also vulnerable to water ingress. I had a 3-4 day period where I had to hit the start button 2-3 times to start the Bronco. I took about an hour long drive and it dried right out though.

The issue isnt the location of the starter though. Not exactly. I was stuck in quicksand with the bottom of my truck submerged for 6 hours and it started right up after. The issue is water shorting the positive terminal and shunting your power to ground so the vehicle wont turn over first try.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Starter is what I usually see people complain about. Its on the bottom of the engine which is normal for Ford Ecoboosts. It's also vulnerable to water ingress. I had a 3-4 day period where I had to hit the start button 2-3 times to start the Bronco. I took about an hour long drive and it dried right out though.

The issue isnt the location of the starter though. Not exactly. I was stuck in quicksand with the bottom of my truck submerged for 6 hours and it started right up after. The issue is water shorting the positive terminal and shunting your power to ground so the vehicle wont turn over first try.
I can't recall exactly. Maybe it was the starter. I just know that it was a point of discussion in the fall last year when we had nothing else to bitch about discuss. I, of course, have no point of reference other than relying on my poor recollection as I continue to wait for a Bronco.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What did the dealership say?

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having it towed to the dealer today for service tomorrow.
Sponsored