First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did a search for aluminum bumpers and didn't find anything.

I'm having trouble finding relative strengths for a front bumper made of an aluminum alloy versus a regular steel bumper.

I've read that the alloy bumpers are very light, obviously, and are fairly strong but may break in a collision instead of bend like steel does.

All I'm really trying to learn is what would happen to say, this bumper or one like it, if it hit a car at 20-30 mph versus what a steel one would do / affect on my vehicle etc. Thanks!

https://www.extremeterrain.com/barr...PZBx96qpzyfRK1nOSaxoC2IoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ied.jpg
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bumpers don't really do anything for you in accidents over 10-15 mph. Once you're going that fast, it's all about frame rails and crumple zones. Below that, you won't notice much difference in shear stress between steel and aluminum.

But to answer your question, like thickness aluminum tends to be about 70% as strong as steel. There are lots of different types of both metals so that number varies.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was more meaning if anyone had first or second hand experiences such as "I crashed my JL into a Rav4 going 10-20 mph and XXX happened or didn't happen to my bumper, I'm happy/unhappy" etc.

Mostly trying to figure if the typical alloy they use for this is the serious aircraft grade / weapons grade alloy or something that'll fold like a house of cards under abuse.

Bumpers don't really do anything for you in accidents over 10-15 mph. Once you're going that fast, it's all about frame rails and crumple zones. Below that, you won't notice much difference in shear stress between steel and aluminum.

But to answer your question, like thickness aluminum tends to be about 70% as strong as steel. There are lots of different types of both metals so that number varies.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Apples That's all I think I need to know. I want to know how someone accidentally hits a bison. I've seen them up close and they're just huge. Maybe it ran from the side at night but they don't really react to traffic like deer and panic. Least that's my experience.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@Apples That's all I think I need to know. I want to know how someone accidentally hits a bison. I've seen them up close and they're just huge. Maybe it ran from the side at night but they don't really react to traffic like deer and panic. Least that's my experience.
It does look it he only side swiped it, so it may have jumped out from ... somewhere? ... into the road.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
It does look it he only side swiped it, so it may have jumped out from ... somewhere? ... into the road.
Bisons don't do much jumping lol. Kidding, yes it probably decided to cross the road at the last minute.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you are looking for strength a fully boxed aluminum bumper will be as strong or stronger than a stamped steel bumper. The problem you will run into though is how long will it be before a reputable company comes out with one for Bronco? 2022 - 2023 or later. http://pronghorngear.com/alpha-jeep-wrangler-bumpers/

Sponsored
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are looking for strength a fully boxed aluminum bumper will be as strong or stronger than a stamped steel bumper. The problem you will run into though is how long will it be before a reputable company comes out with one for Bronco? 2022 - 2023 or later. http://pronghorngear.com/alpha-jeep-wrangler-bumpers/
Understood. That makes sense to me.

Those bumpers you shared are much more expensive than the ones I saw from Extreme Terrain / Barricade. Why is the price so far off? I'm guessing the Barricades are lacking in quality or strength compared to Pronghorn?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Understood. That makes sense to me.

Those bumpers you shared are much more expensive than the ones I saw from Extreme Terrain / Barricade. Why is the price so far off? I'm guessing the Barricades are lacking in quality or strength compared to Pronghorn?
Exactly, there’s a lot more craftsmanship that goes into creating a fully boxed bumper.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly, there’s a lot more craftsmanship that goes into creating a fully boxed bumper.
Can you elaborate for me please? I found the pictures of the Barricade ones to look great. In fact, the Pronghorn ones with the additional bolts and lines showing looks worse to me. I tend to believe in price but can you go into detail on what I'm missing here? Because the Barricade seems great to me.
Sponsored