Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
So i have been seeing every once in awhile that aluminum is not friendly with paint and sometimes "bubbles"

If i were to wrap my car with paint film , could these bubbles still occur and ruin the wrap job?

Is there anything that causes this issue? is it unavoidable?
Sponsored

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So i have been seeing every once in awhile that aluminum is not friendly with paint and sometimes "bubbles"

If i were to wrap my car with paint film , could these bubbles still occur and ruin the wrap job?

I've had an aluminum F-250 for 4 years and haven't had any bubbling or other issues with the paint.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t speak to the bubbling paint and aluminium, however if any bubbling occurs under a wrap, it’ll likely show. Even a tiny one will usually appear. That being said, depending on the wrap colour/design, you may not be able to easily see it. But since wraps are essentially heat shrunk onto the vehicle it’s very tight, so any imperfections will show.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
6 years with my aluminum F-150. No issues.
And I live on the coast.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at 20 year old Fords. They had a sprinkling of aluminum hoods and liftgates. There are usually a few bubbles. Maintenance is an unknown on these old vehicles, and paint formulas have likely improved since.

The question is, are you going to keep it long enough for this to become a problem? I'd imagine 3/4 of the people here will be on to the next vehicle within 5-10 years.

Sponsored

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford seems to do pretty well with using aluminum and not running into too many issues.

The bubbling occurs due to “galvanic corrosion” when the aluminum contacts another (non aluminum) metallic surface.

It’s something that comes up with the JL at the hinge points. For some further information they have a long thread about this issue on the other forum.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/

As to the wrap question… any imperfections will show.

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Ford seems to do pretty well with using aluminum and not running into too many issues.

The bubbling occurs due to “galvanic corrosion” when the aluminum contacts another (non aluminum) metallic surface.

It’s something that comes up with the JL at the hinge points. For some further information they have a long thread about this issue on the other forum.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/

hmm this is good news so the only hinge to worry about is on the rear?

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hmm this is good news so the only hinge to worry about is on the rear?
No idea if it’ll be an issue on the Bronco tailgate hinges or not. I guess time will tell. In general though, they’ve been using a lot of aluminum on the f-150 for a bunch of years now (2015?) with millions of them in the world and it doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue with them.

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No idea if it’ll be an issue on the Bronco tailgate hinges or not. I guess time will tell. In general though, they’ve been using a lot of aluminum on the f-150 for a bunch of years now (2015?) with millions of them in the world and it doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue with them.
but it seems like the issue is only when aluminum touches steel right? im guessing the weight bearing hingest on the rear of the car are NOT aluminum right?

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

but it seems like the issue is only when aluminum touches steel right? im guessing the weight bearing hingest on the rear of the car are NOT aluminum right?
I am by no means an expert on corrosion or anything. It’s certainly possible, but who knows how ford prepped the surface between them? Maybe a gasket of some kind?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

...or maybe the tailgate is steel, since it bears a lot of load?

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This! It's not the paint that's a problem, it's the aluminum under the paint that causes the bubbling up.

Both of my 2016 Mustangs started this on the hood within a year..........

They need to seal or anodize the aluminum or something before bonding it to something else to keep them out of contact with each other.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...or maybe the tailgate is steel, since it bears a lot of load?
This is an excellent point as well. If that’s the case, it’s a non issue.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you under estimate how common aluminum is on 20+ year old vehicles.
Sponsored