First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m not even sure anyone can answer this yet. Just in case, what is the expectation of the residence of the aluminum body panels? The reason I ask is the new Defender 110 was (very shortly) on my list for a new off-roader. One of the complaints Land Rover is having is the fragile body panels. Ir seems one thing they did right was the stiffness of the monocoque supporting structure in the frame (no one is complaining of that), but just horrendous anecdotes of the body panels, particularly the hood are coming out of the forums.

One of the forums relays an occurrence of an Ontario man that parked his new Defender where he had parked his previous old Discovery for 12 years and just the shedding from the surrounding trees resulted in hail-like damage. The old vehicle was never affected. Another put a Yeti tumbler on the hood and it fell over causing a ding. Another put his two year on the hood and caused a dent that had to pulled.

So anybody along the front range in Colorado knows that its not if you’ll be caught in hail, but when. Storms usually start with small hail and grow larger and usually I have time to get under something before the golf balls start falling.

I cock and eyebrow now at the aluminum panels on the bronco. Glad they are replaceable (depending on what ford charges) but what are your expectations about their resilience? Im very experIenced with aluminum body panels but only on Army Helicopters (Hmm, maybe I should paint the Bronc with CARC paint), and just a tad concerned.
Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's anything like the aluminum F150 it should fair a lot better than the defender. That defender sounds terrible.

OP
OP

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If it's anything like the aluminum F150 it should fair a lot better than the defender. That defender sounds terrible.
So anybody with experience taking a wallop on their aluminum F 150 hood?

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't find images right now, but I did see somewhere that the Al panels are thicker than the typical steel. Hope someone is able to find it and show the difference.

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford, and many others have been using aluminum on hoods for several years.
F-150 has been all aluminum since 2015.

I was caught in a hail storm with my 2015 F-150. The truck was not damaged. The BakFlip folding cover had very obvious hail damage.

I am not concerned.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can't find images right now, but I did see somewhere that the Al panels are thicker than the typical steel. Hope someone is able to find it and show the difference.
Have to be I would think from a metallurgical standpoint. Namely the flexural (bending) modulus of aluminum.

OP
OP

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I was caught in a hail storm with my 2015 F-150. The truck was I damaged. The BakFlip folding cover had very obvious hail damage.

I am not concerned.
Was or was not damaged?

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agreed. Aluminum hoods have been on many vehicles for years. Many people don't even realize it. Take a magnet out to your vehicle, I bet many of you will be surprised.

OP
OP

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m aware the use of aluminum in cars. A friend had a 96(?) Audi A8 that was aluminum but that hood was a substantial chunk of metal. JUst weighing expectation.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored

lsirois

First Edition
First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2015 F-150 and it has seen hail several times (amongst other things...including lacrosse balls). It has fared quite well considering.

Jdbrew

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m an Auto insurance adjuster specifically with weather related claims. Hail seems to damage aluminum panels worse than the steel panels. Of course there are a lot of factors that come into play like size and severity of the hail stone and thickness and shape of the aluminum panel. It also costs more to fix hail dents on aluminum panels than steel panels.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have to be I would think from a metallurgical standpoint. Namely the flexural (bending) modulus of aluminum.
Agree, but did Ford make the Al panels thick enough to be equivalent to the steel. Furthermore, what kind of Al did Ford use? 2024 like the Aluminum engine blocks and other aerospace grade materials?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think every car produced over the past 30 years has at least an aluminum hood. Not a big deal for me.
Sponsored