Sponsored

Am I the only one? OBX build thats the exact same price as a similarly equipped Badlands?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Trying to gauge my sanity level

My OBX 2.7L lux (+ leather, MIC, sound deadening, floor liner, 4.27 gearing with rear locker, steel bumper, aux switch, roof rack) PLUS ~$1,500 for 33s tires and mount...Is $100 more (after factoring in taxes and invoice pricing) as...Badlands 2.7L lux (no leather, but MGV, MIC, sound deadening, floor liner, roof rack)

So I am exchanging a 0.8" lift, front locker, front disco bar (which has got to be at least 4k)...for...power front seats, painted fenders/handles/mirrors, fold down center armrest with cupholder, carpeted interior (by FAR less than 4k)

It feels like I'm getting ripped. But if i were to swap the BL grille for free, swap the rails for tubes, for free, and purchased paint-grade fenders, handles and mirror and custom painted, I would assume that would tack on a solid $2,000 to the Badlands build.

....BTW, this is strictly all for the sake of accomodating antimatter blue with painted exterior parts..Any other color, and I'd be in the Badlands.

Am I nuts? Anyone else in the same boat?

Maybe if they correct the OBX 2.7L upgrade in the B&P update it starts to make sense, because the OBX just feels overpriced due to the whole 2.7L upgrade fiasco (OBX got a bit screwed over), and it's apprarent when comparing pricing to BL.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Plus while I really want the OBX, i feel like the resale on the Badlands build has got to materially better....which means I'm overpaying on the OBX.

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just when I thought I was done debating all this!

2Dr OBX
2.7L auto
floor liners
aux switches
advanced 4x4
rear locker
4.27 gearing
capable bumper

Pre-tax Grang-tober price - $41,063

2Dr Badlands
Mid package
v6 auto

Pre-tax Grang-tober price - $43, 482

$2400 cheaper. And I got a tire guy that can probably mount 5 for $1,000. So $1400 for aftermarket goodies.:p:love:

EDIT - to add aux switches to OBX
Also further comparison:

2dr Black Diamond
2.7L
Mid Package
SQUATCH

Pre-tax Grang-tober price - $42,600

2Dr Big Bend
signature lights
mid package
aux switches
floor liners
capable bumper
2.7L V6
rear lockers
4.27 gearing - $38,176

SQUATCHED - $42,871

The issue with Big Bend is I probably won't like the lower grade cloth seats. I'll know for sure if and when I ever see a Bronco in person.

Last edited:

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You're not overpaying. You're getting what you want

With the way theyve designed the trims... this is bound to happen to everyone. If you start adding options to your build, you end up in the range of the next trim up. That's by design.

I started with obx as my reservation then after adding everything I want, I ended up near wildtrak territory
Base people keep getting nudged into big bend territory.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd almost be better off paying another $3,700 (total out of pocket) to get an OBX sas, (its not 5,800) since i dont need to pay for tires and gearing. Surely, the resale on that has to considerably better compared to a non-sas OBX. Still get the grille and painted handles. No way wife could drive it, but that's a different problem. Also, after yesterday's video on allocations, and the fact that I have a 11pm EST reservation night of, maybe not getting that is a wasted opportunity.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After building a WT , OBX and BL to my specs, with some variations based on interior/exterior color matching(either AMB or CG) or miscellaneous equipment, the three were all fairly close in price. While all three builds represent some kind of compromise, I am leaning toward OBX. The reason being is that the BL has some great rock features but I would not use them much if at all. And I am trying to balance what the wife wants with my must haves. The OBX has the interior, running boards and tech/lux that she wants. If I order SASQ and possibly steel bumpers, etc., I check my boxes. One of the things that is hanging me up is the exterior color, which if it will be AMB is more of a fancy paint that seems at odds with the MIC top and plastic fender flares. I think the CG looks better with SASQ especially with the various plastic pieces. In the end it is a compromise that many folks probably would not accept but I can live with it. I might put retracable power boards on it so it the boards deploy only when needed but are out of sight otherwise which looks better. Additionally some have a rock rail feature for the rare times I might do a little of that. If I take the side OBX decals off it, install the power boards and slap chrome retro Bronco script on the sides other Bronco owners will be scratching their heads trying to figure out which trim it is, especially if I either paint or swap the grille!

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm still going with OBX. We found out today in another thread that waiting to order until mid-March will not effect your build date because it is based on your reservation date, not the order date. This gives Ford much needed time to fix the obvious glitches throughout the Build & Price portal. It currently bears no semblance to the portal we all used to originally place our reservations back in July. I'd like to think this was not a classic bait and switch strategy. I'm betting (hoping) Ford will pull their head out by then.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sticking with the Badlands. I can’t do cloth seats and carpet floors on a vehicle I am going to be taking off-road. Leather is too expensive for me also. Love the middle ground MGV seats and rubberized flooring with drains. Makes keeping the interior clean much easier for me.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They both had steel front bumpers.
Sas doesnt get you steel bumpers for free. B&P shows that you need to pay $825 for the steel bumpers sas or not, for any trim that doesnt come with them standard (BL and BD). Although i already had that option on my non-sas OBX.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it is really weird. I can build an OBX like the BL I want and were talking chump change difference.

For example both builds are basically the same price if I have:

4dr, Sasq, Lux, Auto Tran.

You would think OBX would be less by a decent margin.

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
it is really weird. I can build an OBX like the BL I want and were talking chump change difference.

For example both builds are basically the same price if I have:

4dr, Sasq, Lux, Auto Tran.

You would think OBX would be less by a decent margin.
Why? When you squatch them both, the only real difference in the sway bar disconnect.

Reactions: RG7

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why? When you squatch them both, the only real difference in the sway bar disconnect.
and wash out floors and MGV vs cloth.

maybe i am not very knowledgeable on MGV but you would think that would increase cost my a few thousands over cloth seats. Same with rubber flooring vs carpet. Maybe I just dont know cost of one vs the other.....?

Also i believe rock rails vs step and bumper........

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Surely, the resale on that has to considerably better compared to a non-sas OBX.
Unless you are only keeping it a couple of years why factor resale into it?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You really have to wait until build and price is updated to make a decision on OBX, BL, and WT. If the B&P is wrong on the OBX and it is charging you more than it should be on the 2.7 engine then OBX becomes a great deal.

While I thought that this is indeed the case, if you build an OBX exactly up to WT specs they are within a few hundred dollars of each other. Subtracting the 2.7 engine money from OBX makes the WT WAY over priced and totally not worth getting. WT SHOULD be at a discount compared to any other machine with Sas to make it worth while and it is not.

If Ford would have done the pricing correctly OBX should be more money building it all the way to WT forcing you into the pre-made WT trim. That's the whole point. There should be no incentive for someone to Sas OBX unless they really, really wanted paint matched mirrors.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OB<BL

OB ugly ass interior is a no go. I’m not sacrificing with blue or brown seats to save a few thousand dollars. I’m also not paying BL money for the inferior vehicle to get marginally better looking leather seats.
Sponsored