Sponsored

Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser?

Gaggs11

Badlands
First Name
Gagik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT3, 19’ Cayenne, 20’ Model S, 87’ Supra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? E4739700-2493-4707-A4C5-B502460A293A

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 01CBCF76-CD5C-4EB6-BEED-F4575C88FAFF

Yes, FJ is gone, and I think Ford is and will capitalize this niche space in a very smart way. They have started the lifestyle brand that Toyota failed in many ways. Wrangler is great, and those fans are a bit of different breed from guys who like the above, IMO.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FJ... The thing that most likely killed it was its looks! Not even Toyota could copy their earlier models! Lol
Looks big and heavy and cumbersome...
Like a wild ?. Lol

Undecided

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2002 Tacoma, 2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? index(2)

I think this is spot on. I see the Bronco as fitting right in that territory between the Wrangler and the FJ Cruiser. With the FJ gone, there's a big void for the Bronco to fill.

Personally I think the Bronco has more appeal to buyers looking for an FJ, 4-Runner, Cherokee, Hummer, Avalanche, etc. that is more like a Wrangler vs. buyers looking for a direct Wrangler alternative.

Last edited:

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Replacing the windshield frequently is part of the 'fun' of having an FJ... In reality though, they were not any more capable than other similar suv's around at the time. Based on what we've seen so far the Bronco will be a lot better offroad.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Replacing the windshield frequently is part of the 'fun' of having an FJ... In reality though, they were not any more capable than other similar suv's around at the time. Based on what we've seen so far the Bronco will be a lot better offroad.
FJ did pretty well with a mild lift and 33s. I loved mine and it impressed off road for what it was. I do expect the Bronco to be better of course, hopefully way better.
What killed FJ was that it didn’t have a removable top or soft top option. Thats why I sold mine. That’s why it never competed well with Jeep, and after the first two years, sales plummeted. Bronco will sell way, way more than the FJ and be a true Jeep competitor and alternative.

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The FJ didn’t particularly fill any void or take any significant market share. After the first 2 years, it never approached 50k sold in a year. After year 3, never passed 15k. It was a swing for the fences and a miss for mass market, too niche of a vehicle and at a time that we started to see the move away from rugged SUVs and toward efficient CUVs. It has a following, sure, but wasn’t a significant role player in any particular market after the new wore off.

The Bronco is timed right to take advantage of the return to popularity of legit SUVs during these times (even before COVID) of affordable gas. The question will be whether it builds the market to last through the market changes in a way only the Wrangler has (and 4Runner to a slightly different degree).

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FJ did pretty well with a mild lift and 33s. I loved mine and it impressed off road for what it was. I do expect the Bronco to be better of course, hopefully way better.
What killed FJ was that it didn’t have a removable top or soft top option. Thats why I sold mine. That’s why it never competed well with Jeep, and after the first two years, sales plummeted. Bronco will sell way, way more than the FJ and be a true Jeep competitor and alternative.
For some very hardcore folks I'm sure the top is an issue. The FJ's issue was it was not good for pretty much anything most people would use an SUV for. It wasnt comfortable, had poor visibility due to the tiny windows, didnt have enough passenger room, had tiny rear doors that you had to open the front door to use and didnt have enough cargo space behind the 2nd row. You could get a 4runner or Xterra or a few others that worked just as well off road but were better in town etc. The every-day use issues were the main reason my brother and a few others we knew got rid of their FJs.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t forget about Isuzu. ? They played the same game Toyota did before FJ.

Ford is smart in offering a completely removable roof and doors. Those two things are what always has hurt would-be Wrangler competitors.

That said, they all found their own space. ?

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 1595901255903

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 1595901682541

OP
OP

Gaggs11

Badlands
First Name
Gagik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT3, 19’ Cayenne, 20’ Model S, 87’ Supra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t forget about Isuzu. ? They played the same game Toyota did before FJ.

Ford is smart in offering a completely removable roof and doors. Those two things are what always has hurt would-be Wrangler competitors.

That said, they all found their own space. ?

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 1595901682541

Loved the Isuzu! It was a great truck during its time

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Yes, FJ is gone, and I think Ford is and will capitalize this niche space in a very smart way. They have started the lifestyle brand that Toyota failed in many ways. Wrangler is great, and those fans are a bit of different breed from guys who like the above, IMO.
Yep, I've said it in many posts and caught hell for it... FJ came back with an IFS to take on the wrangler. No one lifted em much, and they never took off... one generation and done.

Regulator Johnson

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FJ... The thing that most likely killed it was its looks! Not even Toyota could copy their earlier models! Lol
Like a wild ?. Lol
Like a wild ?. Lol
As the current owner of a 2008 FJ I can tell you a lot of people stayed away because it is a rolling blind spot, horrible outward vision. Very capable off road and love that Toyota reliability.

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chevy Tracker anyone? (I learned to drive in one of these before learning to drive stick in our '94 Mustang)

Screenshot_20200729-170655_Gallery.jpg

Bimmerxi

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, BMW R1200GSA
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As the current owner of a 2008 FJ I can tell you a lot of people stayed away because it is a rolling blind spot, horrible outward vision. Very capable off road and love that Toyota reliability.
I agree probably the best and most reliable and capable vehicle I have owned but it was a niche vehicle and not for everyone
Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 601CA420-8A6A-4513-B01D-ADD61068E6C5
Sponsored