Sponsored

Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser?

skeeter97

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FJ was by far my most favorite vehicle. Small lift with 33's and it went anywhere I wanted to go. Had the back windows rolled down for passengers (dogs) it would have been perfect. I still get nostalgic looking at old pics of that thing, had a LOT of fun in it. If Toyota brought back a 4 door Fj with removable top I'd have to take a good long look at one
And yes, I've owned two jeeps also
Sponsored

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nothing with a fixed roof can compete with the Bronco. That's why there were no direct Wrangler competitors. Offroad capability, sure. But for most people that are looking at the Bronco as a road vehicle most of the time, removeable tops are a big part of the equation for a lot of them.

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

always thought the FJ missed the boat by not having removable top, even looked some up as after market mod with top cut off! thought that for years then Bronco came along!

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, FJ is gone, and I think Ford is and will capitalize this niche space in a very smart way. They have started the lifestyle brand that Toyota failed in many ways. Wrangler is great, and those fans are a bit of different breed from guys who like the above, IMO.
I know this is an old post.

Toyota doesn't do lifestyle products. They make competent reliable products that are mostly mainstream and I say this as a regular Toyota buyer. Look at the new Supra, GR86, and the FJ. They have great ideas with potential then they pull back on the reins and it prevents them from becoming lifestyle vehicles.

Sponsored

Regulator Johnson

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As the owner of a 2008 FJ, ask anyone who has had one and they will tell you that it is a rolling blind spot. Mine has a 6" lift with 35" tires and I added ARB to the front axel which makes it a very capable off road vehicle. Looks are subjective. Great seats and almost drives like a Camry when on the street. The interior of my Bronco will feel like the wide open spaces compared to my FJ. It is not unusual for me to get high dollar offers in parking lots like Home Depot. I know I will be able to sell it for more than I paid for it ($26,000).

Rosanna

Black Diamond
First Name
Blkdiamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

E4739700-2493-4707-A4C5-B502460A293A.jpeg

01CBCF76-CD5C-4EB6-BEED-F4575C88FAFF.jpeg

Yes, FJ is gone, and I think Ford is and will capitalize this niche space in a very smart way. They have started the lifestyle brand that Toyota failed in many ways. Wrangler is great, and those fans are a bit of different breed from guys who like the above, IMO.
They got me. Bronco is the 1st vehicle I’ve seen that I’m willing to trade my FJ for. I’ve waited patiently for Toyota to bring them back and after 7yrs I’m done waiting.
Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 433DC8BC-F988-49F7-8251-55690FF13F77

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If I had known the timing (well poor timing) of the Bronco coming out, I would have held onto my 2010 FJ TT. I had only a 3" lift and 33s, but I really liked driving it. The blind spots were tough for my family to deal with but I learned to adapt. Now I've been living for 3 yrs with a Tacoma and I'm ready for the Bronco to grace my driveway.

You'll have some number of FJCruiser owners or former owners come into the Bronco fold.

Added a pic for grins and giggles.

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? IMG_1301.JPG

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FJ... The thing that most likely killed it was its looks! Not even Toyota could copy their earlier models! Lol
Looks big and heavy and cumbersome...
Like a wild ?. Lol
It definitely looks very very similar to the last bronco gen so..... theres that.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ironically I saw one on my walk to my parking garage and thought, man, maybe ford should've just focused on something more similar to that size. I love the new bronco but in my heart, I'd rather them have omitted the bronco sport AND the 4 door (at least for a few years) and just made something more akin to the last gen. The FJ even with its issues still looks beefier to me.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had a 2012 FJ. With suspension and 33's is was a very good off road machine. On road, it didn't do much of anything particularly well. Visibility was really bad. Rear seat access sucked. Cargo capacity was just OK. Fuel economy sucked (13-14mpg in town). Power was just adequate. Resale was the shinning bright spot. I paid $26k for mine. Spent another $5k in mods (suspension, bumpers, etc). I drove it for 5 years and sold it for $32k.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For some very hardcore folks I'm sure the top is an issue. The FJ's issue was it was not good for pretty much anything most people would use an SUV for. It wasnt comfortable, had poor visibility due to the tiny windows, didnt have enough passenger room, had tiny rear doors that you had to open the front door to use and didnt have enough cargo space behind the 2nd row. You could get a 4runner or Xterra or a few others that worked just as well off road but were better in town etc. The every-day use issues were the main reason my brother and a few others we knew got rid of their FJs.
Agree 4 runner better in everyway. Plus back window rolls down to make for a nice cross breeze when driving. Not the same as removable roof but pretty great.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love my FJ Cruiser! It's been a great truck but at 200k+ relatively problem free miles, it's time for an upgrade.

I recently had the opportunity to buy a 2014 with 42k miles for 32K. They hold their value too well. Dealer now has that truck listed at 36K. I could get in a Bronco for that... hopefully. :)

But I want a removable top. But other that that, the FJC has what I need.

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? IMG_1301.JPG

Pugs rule!!
Sponsored