Sponsored

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of Filson?

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As you can see you are not alone, vey few have heard of them until this cross promotion. Mission accomplished for them.

Strangely enough I was wandering around my City a couple of weekends ago and came across their store, which I didn't even know we had.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As you can see you are not alone, vey few have heard of them until this cross promotion. Mission accomplished for them.

Strangely enough I was wandering around my City a couple of weekends ago and came across their store, which I didn't even know we had.
Very few? Maybe of the general population, but most serious outdoor people have, and that’s their target market. Not a surprise those outside their market haven’t heard of them. I’m sure there’s lots of companies that cater to the city crowd I’ve never heard of.

OP
OP
Chuck_Ruck

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I must say it is surprising seeing so many people on a Ford forum bashing one of the few American companies left that still makes all/most of their goods in America. Their products are high quality and I think the price reflects that. It’s fine to not like the style of clothing they offer, but at least respect the company, ya know?
I offered no disrespect, I stated I hadn't heard of them, asked if it was a regional thing. Clearly its from the Pacific North West, and I'm from Florida. There's a continent's worth between the two. As far as price reflecting craftsmanship, I would welcome the attempt to test that kind of thing. If the truck can last this long, I welcone the chance to make a coat do the same.

received_2264363833614330.jpeg

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m more of a Dickies , The North Face, Hanes, kind of a guy ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chuck_Ruck

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s the WalMart syndrome. Nowadays people want cheap first, quality second, and everything is disposable.

I appreciate quality and am willing to pay for it. I do some pretty hardcore stuff and depend on my equipment. Failures can be more than just a drag.

There are still a lot of American businesses making quality products that hold up to far more abuse than the cheap imports. In the long run, it’s cheaper for me to pay more up front and have things last longer and not fail when I need them.

I just sent a 15yr old pair of mountain boots to a cobbler in Seattle to be resoled/reconditioned. There are only a couple people left doing that kind of work. People would rather buy cheap stuff and throw them away after a few years use. Quality stuff can be repaired/reconditioned and last a lifetime.

Filson is not new to me. I’m not sure if I ever bought anything from them, but I certainly would if they have what I need.
When I say I havent heard of the company, and say the prices seem a bit much; that means I know nothing about the brand. I lived 3/4 of my life in a Florida swamp, and we had zero need for cold weather gear, let alone quality wool.
As far as American made products, as a union worker, I take pride in supporting our own induatries. I have slowly converted my entire wardrobe to union made, or US made at bare minimum. And various things are difficult to come by. My flannels, hoodies, socks, Hawaiian shirts, boots, and suits. It's actually sonething I am very proud of.

20201119_153400.jpg

20201119_152419.jpg

20201119_152724.jpg

20201119_152638.jpg

20201119_152535.jpg

20201119_152506.jpg

20201119_152447.jpg

20201119_152754.jpg

20201119_153114.jpg

OP
OP
Chuck_Ruck

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[QUOTE="Gquag, post: 327618, member:
There is Folsom, They give away free Orange jump suits..
you might know of them?
[/QUOTE]
There is also Prison Blues, they utilize prison labor to manufacture a US made clothing line.
Ironic really, clothes made in the land of the free, by those who aren't.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Quite a bit of Filson's gear cross pollinated into the well heeled cowboy crowd from cold climates. I tend towards Dickies trousers because pants are wear items. Schaeffer Outfitters and BassPro took my cold weather money.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overpriced and lesser quality than the much lighter weight and better fitting products of Arc Teryx and Patagonia. You want to make a seat that’ll have incredible and long lasting textures, get ArcTeryx to bring some of their materials to the table. Second to none.
I love Arc'teryx products but they are so expensive they are wire locked to the rack at REI. If I can't try it on without staff assistance then I can't afford it.

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I love Arc'teryx products but they are so expensive they are wire locked to the rack at REI. If I can't try it on without staff assistance then I can't afford it.
The feel of the materials and cut of the arms and shoulders will have you knowing it was all worth it. It’s a one garment every few years kinda purchase to me.

Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The feel of the materials and cut of the arms and shoulders will have you knowing it was all worth it. It’s a one garment every few years kinda purchase to me.
I might bring myself to cave in and get one some day. The gear I have right now is still working fine. I really like coats for some reason. I'd probably have 20 if it wasn't irrational living in Georgia. haha

Based on Filson's website, I'm not sure I'm allowed to wear their stuff. I don't have a beard and can't grow one to save my life.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been buying Filson products for 25+ years, my father before me and his father before him. If you've worked in the woods you've probably heard of them, or you've probably worked next to someone wearing Filson gear. If you wear out a Filson product, you'll probably get a new one. They have been the Nordstrom's of the workng man for over 100 years, meaning their warranty is the best in the business and the customer is damned near always right.

I lost weight and decided to buy a new belt in a smaller size. Went into the store to pick one out and the salesperson asked if he could exchange the new one for my old worn out belt. He asked me, not the other way around, and I was there to purchase a new one. He noticed my 15+ year old belt had a missing piece on the buckle and said it was a warranty issue. I walked out with a $135 belt. Yeah, it's expensive, but not really if it lasts over 15+ years and you get a new one when the first one wears out. I've been wearing a Filson double belt for over 20+ years and so far it's cost me less than $6 a year for the highest quality leather belt I've ever fondled.

I own their clothing, some hunting and cabin related accessories and their blankets. You'd be hard pressed to find something of higher quality, and in the case of Filson, you get what you pay for. Their slogan is, "Might as well have the best", and they are the best; although, if I was head of marketing, I might change the slogan to, "try to wear it out, we dare you". Not everyone holds the same philosophy, but I'd rather buy the right tool once than the wrong tool twice.

ETA: I will say, maybe it is a regional thing, because I am absolutely shocked by how many people haven't heard of them. It's incredible to me that one of the highest quality brands, with many/most of their products being made in the USA, is unknown to people living in the US. There are probably plenty of US brands in other parts of the country that produce things I'm not familiar with, maybe, or maybe it's because I play hard outside that I know of them, or maybe because I had family that worked in the woods, I don't know.

Last edited:

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
pants are wear items.
Not if you get their Double Tin pants. Of course, don't wear them above 40 degrees(f), and probably best to leave them outside (never wash them, just keep them waxed). They can last a lifetime.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wear their double tin chaps and they're like wearing two layers of tin. I'm sure I'll never wear them out, but I figure that means I just don't work hard enough, haha. Really though, they're the last chaps I'll ever need to buy.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are a lot of great US companies out there that may not be as relevant as they once were. There was a time when spending time outdoors involved more than driving to a paved parking lot and walking on a groomed trail for a few hours. You had two choices in clothing, wool, or some type of treated (waxed, oiled, etc.) cotton and boots were made of leather.

Companies like Filson, Orvis, LL Bean, Woolrich, Pendleton, etc. made a name for themselves among the people who depended on clothing as more than just a fashion statement. The companies were private companies and were more interested in the product than the bottom line.

Times have changed. Synthetics rule the market except for mostly nostalgia. Companies have stockholders who expect profits. Companies change their products to appeal to more people while also increasing profit margin. Small companies then see the void of great products and spring up, until they fall into the same pattern of increasing market and profit.

I am not brand loyal. Many companies today, like Patagonia and The North Face, cater more to the look than the function, although they still make some good products. There was a time when a VE-25 was the standard, but I wouldn't even waste my money on one now.

I buy products that do what I need them to do. I have plenty of clothing and gear from LL Bean, Orvis, Cabelas, Mountain Hardware, Sporthill, etc. My absolute favorite gear is from Mammut, but is really hard to find here. I love mountain boots. I have Kenetrek, Meindl, Lowa, HanWag, Zamberlan, Russel Moccasin, and have owned and enjoyed other brands. Backpacks from Seek Outdoors, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, but have used many other brands. Some brands aren't what they were and new brands will crop up to take their place.

Filson is a great American company trying to find relevance in an ever changing landscape. It's great they were able to pair with the Bronco and hopefully increase their market share. What made them famous is now barely relevant but they have a name and tradition to build on.

For those who had never heard of them, maybe a few will become customers and another American business will continue it's legacy.
Sponsored