Sponsored

Am i the only person who wants to see an aux fuel tank?

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds pretty bold. I think that's rad but if it were me considering that level of custom fab work, I would at least wait until a factory replacement is available in case everything goes south and I need to revert back.
I think after market fuel tanks are only a dream. NHTSA testing and liability are draw backs.
Yes there will be jerry cans and spare tire tanks but noting that will use the OEM fill and not at least require some form of manually pumping the fuel.
I have designed fuel tanks for some ADA modified vehicles and had them 301 tested at the TRC center in Ohio. I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make it work safely.
Now whether I do it is another story. I'll definitely drive the new vehicle for a while before doing anything.
A distance of 550 miles to fill up would be nice though!
Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think after market fuel tanks are only a dream. NHTSA testing and liability are draw backs.
Yes there will be jerry cans and spare tire tanks but noting that will use the OEM fill and not at least require some form of manually pumping the fuel.
I have designed fuel tanks for some ADA modified vehicles and had them 301 tested at the TRC center in Ohio. I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make it work safely.
Now whether I do it is another story. I'll definitely drive the new vehicle for a while before doing anything.
A distance of 550 miles to fill up would be nice though!
Why ” …only a dream.”? A number of manufacturers make and sell exactly that kind of fuel tanks for all of the major pickup truck brands. I expect the market would be much smaller for the Bronco but it seems to be an attractive niche to fill.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why ” …only a dream.”? A number of manufacturers make and sell exactly that kind of fuel tanks for all of the major pickup truck brands. I expect the market would be much smaller for the Bronco but it seems to be an attractive niche to fill.
The only place an after market tank can be added is on the passenger side. ( There just aren’t any options) This means the drive shaft has to be crossed.
Thus the tank would have to include:
1) It’s own fill tube and an additional transfer pump.
or
2) A tank molded so as to go over the drive shaft. This would require replacing the OEM tank.
or
3) An additional tank that ties into the OEM tank.

IMO option 2 would be the only option not a huge liability issue.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dual tanks would really give that nostalgic feel of the old Ford switching valves and fuel sender only working on one tank. Miss those days.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m guessing you are referring to this: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/fuel-caddy/
Yea that's the one. it's on my list. My utility trailer project came with two four gallon rotopacks. I could feed my generator and the Bronco for a few days off grid with twenty Ford gallons, ten behind the spare, and eight roto. Still have to make a town run, but it will do.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My '75 had 2 factory tanks 13 & 10 and I added a 3rd 10. That 13 gal on the 2 door is really not going to work unless all you do is go to the market. The 2.7 with 35's is never going to see 20mpg,, 16-17 is more real.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No

(I also want to see an aux fuel tank)

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So a couple times a year, I go hunting for a week-10 days, sometimes in more remote areas (2 hours from a gas station). Extended range would be a really really nice feature for me. I have never seen it mentioned, and I think it would be awesome. With the already kind limited cargo space, especially on the 2 door (which is what I think I want) i would really like to see an option for a big tank. Or an auxiliary tank.
Yes, it has been discussed on here before. On a two door , it will never happen, as there is no room underneath on that side. Possibly on the 4 door, a larger tank, but also limited by room.
Ford Bronco Am i the only person who wants to see an aux fuel tank? 1627445945817

fundelay

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Unicorn Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So a couple times a year, I go hunting for a week-10 days, sometimes in more remote areas (2 hours from a gas station). Extended range would be a really really nice feature for me. I have never seen it mentioned, and I think it would be awesome. With the already kind limited cargo space, especially on the 2 door (which is what I think I want) i would really like to see an option for a big tank. Or an auxiliary tank.
I would like an aux tank too!
Sponsored