First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150 Raptor SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since I’ve seen this question so many times over the past few months, I thought I’d post this in hopes that it helps show a complete solution, rather than just an idea someone had.

Here's what we did on my Fiance's Black Diamond 4D w/ Sasquatch package...

We have an Icom IC-2730A. The radio is mounted w/ an Icom mounting bracket to the back of the glovebox w/ fan blowing up into the void. The radio is powered by Aux 1, directly, by connecting Aux 1 to one of the passthroughs that go to the passenger kick panel area.
An external speaker is mounted underneath the passenger seat, facing forward. Speaker wiring tucked up under the plastic of the console and into the back of the glovebox.

Wire for remote head run from glovebox, up the FRONT of the A pillar (to avoid being on the business end of any airbags) to the head mounted up top just behind the Aux Switches/Sunglass cubby (need to get something to angle it down more as the screen fades at that angle).

We used a 20' antenna cable run (16.5' was about 1' too short) down the bottom passenger corner of the Bronco and out the louvers on the tailgate (behind the spare tire) to a modified Jeep antenna mount.

1" wheel spacer required to scoot the spare tire out far enough for antenna to clear vertically (could use more for Sasquatch, the tire is against the antenna, but just enough to not be able to unscrew it).

ICOM 2730a 2M Mobile Radio on DXEngineering
ICOM Radio Mount on Amazon
Antenna Cable on Amazon
Antenna Mount on Amazon
Antenna on Amazon

Only concerns are with the wheel spacer, it brings the tire off of the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the gate. I tried to get follow-up info from the guy in the forum (see link below) to see if they had any issues with the lack of support for the spare. No responses. It’s been solid for us so far. I’ll be glad to update if we see any issues.
https://www.bronco6g.com/.../antenna-mount-for-cb-gmrs.../

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution 958892A8-A79A-40F9-BBA7-D41E24A7D017
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution 758AB055-A7D4-4022-AF6F-0894E4090504
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution 8F9C5DD3-7DAF-49D2-844F-3B5DC3EA240A
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7372
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7373
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7374
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7375
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7376
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7377
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since I’ve seen this question so many times over the past few months, I thought I’d post this in hopes that it helps show a complete solution, rather than just an idea someone had.

Here's what we did on my Fiance's Black Diamond 4D w/ Sasquatch package...

We have an Icom IC-2730A. The radio is mounted w/ an Icom mounting bracket to the back of the glovebox w/ fan blowing up into the void. The radio is powered by Aux 1, directly, by connecting Aux 1 to one of the passthroughs that go to the passenger kick panel area.
An external speaker is mounted underneath the passenger seat, facing forward. Speaker wiring tucked up under the plastic of the console and into the back of the glovebox.

Wire for remote head run from glovebox, up the FRONT of the A pillar (to avoid being on the business end of any airbags) to the head mounted up top just behind the Aux Switches/Sunglass cubby (need to get something to angle it down more as the screen fades at that angle).

We used a 20' antenna cable run (16.5' was about 1' too short) down the bottom passenger corner of the Bronco and out the louvers on the tailgate (behind the spare tire) to a modified Jeep antenna mount.

1" wheel spacer required to scoot the spare tire out far enough for antenna to clear vertically (could use more for Sasquatch, the tire is against the antenna, but just enough to not be able to unscrew it).

ICOM 2730a 2M Mobile Radio on DXEngineering
ICOM Radio Mount on Amazon
Antenna Cable on Amazon
Antenna Mount on Amazon
Antenna on Amazon

Only concerns are with the wheel spacer, it brings the tire off of the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the gate. I tried to get follow-up info from the guy in the forum (see link below) to see if they had any issues with the lack of support for the spare. No responses. It’s been solid for us so far. I’ll be glad to update if we see any issues.
https://www.bronco6g.com/.../antenna-mount-for-cb-gmrs.../

958892A8-A79A-40F9-BBA7-D41E24A7D017.jpeg
758AB055-A7D4-4022-AF6F-0894E4090504.jpeg
8F9C5DD3-7DAF-49D2-844F-3B5DC3EA240A.jpeg
IMG_7372.jpeg
IMG_7373.jpeg
IMG_7374.jpeg
IMG_7375.jpeg
IMG_7376.jpeg
IMG_7377.jpeg
UPDATE!!!

I got a suggestion from Jpursuit that seems to solve my rubbing/fabrication issues.

There is another mount that's made for a Wrangler that is a PERFECT fit for the Bronco Tire carrier.

Sold By Amazon: Hooke Road Wrangler JL CB Antenna Spare Tire Mount Bracket Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022

Jpursuit, with a non-sasquatch, was able to use this mount with a home made spacer to get what appears to be an NMO mount GMRS antenna to fit. (Jpursuit's post here)

I may try with a smaller spacer at some point to bring the spare back in a bit, but it seems to have perfect spacing now.

Hoping to use this Cat-5 Coupler to the right of the USB ports in the front of the console tray to make it convenient to add/remove the mic.

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7499

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7500

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7501
Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution IMG_7502

Last edited:

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great minds think alike! I went a similar direction, but I went with incomes 4100a and mounted my base to the back of the drivers side fuse panel.

I then mounted my antenna to the cowl and trimmed my coax to fit. I Thor my mic to a flush mount in the center console.

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution F9CC5BD1-BC69-43B3-A251-E072CE3F7027

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution 8A296623-79B5-4E8E-A911-B2015D369CA4

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution 484215C0-8111-40E2-A2CE-5C1575DD2164

Ford Bronco Amateur Radio / Ham Radio / GMRS / CB and/or Antenna Mounting Solution EA0CB0E3-71FE-4EEF-875D-68E5CFCC3D1E

OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great minds think alike! I went a similar direction, but I went with incomes 4100a and mounted my base to the back of the drivers side fuse panel.

I then mounted my antenna to the cowl and trimmed my coax to fit. I Thor my mic to a flush mount in the center console.

F9CC5BD1-BC69-43B3-A251-E072CE3F7027.jpeg

8A296623-79B5-4E8E-A911-B2015D369CA4.jpeg

484215C0-8111-40E2-A2CE-5C1575DD2164.jpeg

EA0CB0E3-71FE-4EEF-875D-68E5CFCC3D1E.jpeg
Love it.

I'm actually going to be adding an ethernet port (for the mic) just to the right of the USB outlets in the console tray up front. I'm planning on using a small hole saw and this Cat-5 Coupler, but what you did in your console is exactly what I did on my Raptor. I learned I hate cutting squares, so I'm hoping this ends up being easier. (Just added this to my previous post... thanks for reminding me)

Sponsored

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never had any luck with SWR on a spare tire carrier.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Love it.

I'm actually going to be adding an ethernet port (for the mic) just to the right of the USB outlets in the console tray up front. I'm planning on using a small hole saw and this Cat-5 Coupler, but what you did in your console is exactly what I did on my Raptor. I learned I hate cutting squares, so I'm hoping this ends up being easier. (Just added this to my previous post... thanks for reminding me)
I saw that one, I tired flush mount this time.To be honest with the amount of space it’s easier to use a Dremel and do a square vs the drill. The console is so small the drill is a nightmare to handle.

I did less cutting overall and wanted it to look stock this time around. For my raptor that’s a Baja / off road only rig at this point, it was straight up cut and place where I want. The dash wasn’t off limits.

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love it.

This is what I did. SWR is 1:21. Mounted my Midland in the front of the center console.

20220224_170345.jpg

20220223_175025.jpg

20220223_175000.jpg

20220223_171955.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love those midland radios, but I use my 2M ham too much.

I found a tweak for my icom to transmit on
/GMRS frequencies, but I’m not sure how legal it is.

I’d love if there was a true all in one radio.

I need to find a better place to hang the mic. It ends up in a cup holder or my lap most of the time. I need somewhere that doesn’t dangle in front of the windshield and is accessible from both sides of the vehicle

Great install

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I need to find a better place to hang the mic. It ends up in a cup holder or my lap most of the time. I need somewhere that doesn’t dangle in front of the windshield and is accessible from both sides of the vehicle

Great install
I tried to make the install clean where you can't see anything. Thanks!
I am still trying to find a place for the mic as well! I don't want to drill into anything!

OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I tried to make the install clean where you can't see anything. Thanks!
I am still trying to find a place for the mic as well! I don't want to drill into anything!
I got a 3d printer for Christmas, so I’m trying different locations and styles to see what works best for us.

I’m hoping I can find of make something that just needs some double sided tape.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Great install
The biggest problem with transmitting out of band, other than legality, is you will not maintain that 1.4 SWR that far off frequency if you’re using the same 2m antenna. But if you keep it at 5w or below for trails, you probably won’t do damage.
Sponsored