First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My radio has a head that seperates from the main body. The main body is mounted to the rear speaker bracket on the roll bar and the control head is mounted above the driverside sun visor.
The mic is on the hardtop ceiling by using a large square of Velcro. I made a wire hook but also can use just Velcro.

On a tire mount antenna I'd recommend a non ground plane antenna. The Larsen NMO2/70B is 1/2 wave 2 meter and 5/8 over 5/8 wave on the UHF side and will allow you to use GMRS with good results. Without tuning the antenna it is one of the few that will have good SWR across the entire 2M thru GMRS range. If I had a friend who used 2 meter, MURS, 70cm and GMRS that is the antenna I'd recommend. Comet 2x4 is good also but very stiff. Bronco is tough to get a good ground plane. I think the hood is too thin to mount an antenna. Especially if it may get hit by brush. The roof of the hard top is iffy to drill a hole in, and you'd have to build a ground plane. so that is why we went tire mount.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150 Raptor SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The biggest problem with transmitting out of band, other than legality, is you will not maintain that 1.4 SWR that far off frequency if you’re using the same 2m antenna. But if you keep it at 5w or below for trails, you probably won’t do damage.
I mainly monitor, but occasionally I need to say something.

We use 2M for coordinating our race events (https://100aw.org) but when I go out with jeep guys, other off-roaders, or Gamlers, they’ve mostly upgraded from CB to GMRS now… it’s good to stay in the loop as to what’s going on.
Good news is, like you said, GMRS WILL be used for much closer range, so I could probably get away with it. I already had those frequencies saved and adjusted their output levels in the radio to be as close to legal as possible.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a tire mount antenna I'd recommend a non ground plane antenna. The Larsen NMO2/70B is 1/2 wave 2 meter and 5/8 over 5/8 wave on the UHF side and will allow you to use GMRS with good results. Without tuning the antenna it is one of the few that will have good SWR across the entire 2M thru GMRS range. If I had a friend who used 2 meter, MURS, 70cm and GMRS that is the antenna I'd recommend. Comet 2x4 is good also but very stiff. Bronco is tough to get a good ground plane. I think the hood is too thin to mount an antenna. Especially if it may get hit by brush. The roof of the hard top is iffy to drill a hole in, so that is why we went tire mount.
I’ve heard good things about that antenna. I just can’t seem to make the jump to NMO for some reason Too many existing UHF mounts lol. I didn’t think it was a non ground plane antenna though.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think....watch out. haha .. . Comet 2x4 has a UHF mount version. I mention this because it is a good antenna actually made by Comet for multi radio service Search and Rescue units that use 2m and GMRS.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think....watch out. haha .. . Comet 2x4 has a UHF mount version. I mention this because it is a good antenna actually made by Comet for multi radio service Search and Rescue units that use 2m and GMRS.
I have a couple of good performing Comets so I’d definitely be interested in something that performs well in both of those bands.

Sponsored

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
actually, it is really easy. Can take apart in 5 min
Use this video for assistance. I did when I installed the auto-start stop eliminator.

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Use this video for assistance. I did when I installed the auto-start stop eliminator.
Oh that's not bad. Not too far from what I had to do to replace the touchscreen on a previous car. The original link mentioned taking out the seats lol

OP
OP
Tidy2000

Tidy2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150 Raptor SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have one that’s supposedly FRS/GMRS/2M/70CM, but it’s a complete eBay special. I need to check to see how it actually does on the meter.
My truck is NMO but the bronco is clearly not.
Maybe I’ll convert both to the same at some point

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
An eBay special could work. Antennas are science, but most of the science was figured out a long time ago. Some cheap antennas work just fine but do not last due to lower quality parts being used to meet a price point.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is there enough room behind that "lower trim panel" to mount a RJ45 port without interference? That's the part right above the charging pad.

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands