Sponsored

American vehicle with transmission made in China. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtorral

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a follow up to existing thread talking about the manual transmission made in China.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/getrag-7-speed-manual-built-in-china.9113/

Probably a good transmission and nothing wrong with it. However as a longtime proponent of not buying anything from China unless there is no other option, I cannot be a hypocrite.

Having said that, I canceled my day 1 reservation this morning after a lot of thought. I think I am the one losing out here but life goes on.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Sponsored

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am unhappy with how Ford is handling the manual transmission. From the v6 to black diamond to the Sasquatch debacle. I have two reservations and am going to wait and sit on them, but 95% i’m going to wait a year. 50:50 wrangler vs bronco now.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a follow up to existing thread talking about the manual transmission made in China.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/getrag-7-speed-manual-built-in-china.9113/

Probably a good transmission and nothing wrong with it. However as a longtime proponent of not buying anything from China unless there is no other option, I cannot be a hypocrite.

Having said that, I canceled my day 1 reservation this morning after a lot of thought. I think I am the one losing out here but life goes on.

You realize the days of MADE IN USA are long gone. Even if something is MADE IN THE USA, the majority of components used are all sourced from Overseas, mainly China. Even the notorious MAGA merch was made in China.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been wrestling this exact dilemma. I have made a point to buy American since becoming a union worker. But I REALLY want a manual trans in a body-on-frame. The year(2012) I made enough money to buy one, I found out they stopped back in 2008 or so.(Unless you buy a Dodge chassis/cab with a diesel, and I dont have a genuine need for a massive diesel truck)

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. No qualms at all for me. American manufacturing has shifted over the decades away from relatively dirty and dangerous manufacturing to higher paying engineering and design jobs.

We (or other 1st world countries) hold the brain trusts that come up with the equipment, then hire the up-and-coming economies to manufacturer the mass scale items for us. Those economies assume the dangers and pollution expense of these jobs because they can't afford not to.

Obviously we still manufacture high-grade components and precision equipment, but by-and-large there's nothing that bothers me about shifting global economies (aside from the very rear problem of the exploitation of workers from the other countries).

You can set your watch to the evolution of economies around the world. As you master one, and eat the labor and environmental costs to build your economy, you graduate to the next level, shifting the previous burden to whatever country is one step behind you.

Mining -> Low Skilled Manufacturing -> High Skilled Manufacturing -> Design/Engineering

In short time there will be Chinese citizens complaining that they aren't going to buy a specific car because the transmission was built in India instead of China.... and someday Indians will be complaining that their transmission was built in West Africa.

(obviously I would prefer to purchase the "real-deal" item from a USA manufacturer rather than a knock-off Chinese version, but that's not what we're talking about there)

But that's just my $0.02

(full disclosure: I'm getting the automatic)

*Posted from my iPhone*

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

If you want a 7-speed Bronco, there is no other option. See, not a hypocrite. ;)

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good luck buying anything more complicated than a pencil... Our political and commercial leadership has sold off vast chunks of our supply chain in everything from clothing, pharmaceuticals and consumer goods to complex electronics and automobiles. Our own Department of Defense relies on cheap Chinese steel for many of our "made in America" military programs.

My own focus has shifted to where the company is headquartered and has tax liability.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.