Sponsored

AMP Research power steps backordered? - get them now...

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, like a few others who've posted recently, I wanted to order some AMP Research Power Steps for my Bronco. I was beyond bummed to learn that no one has stock and they're on a "national backorder" with an ETA of 2-5 months depending on which dealer you talk to.

Well here's something interesting I stumbled upon via some sleuthing I did...

The AMP kit for the the "2021+ Bronco & 2019-21 Ranger" is part # 76140-01A (no stock available nationally).

I was searching around for "2019 Ranger AMP Research" in hopes of finding a set that other Bronco owners weren't trying to snatch up when searching for keyword "bronco". Turns out AMP used to have a kit 76136-01A (now superseded) which was for the "2019-20 Ranger". Are you seeing what I'm seeing?? Time to dig deeper...

I started reviewing the instructions of both kits and all parts are exactly the same (even comes with the same "STA" controller version). I thought perhaps there was a software difference in the controller but after looking into it, there's only three different controllers they use across all makes/models. I even reviewed a bunch of older YouTube videos for the older Ranger kit to confirm all the wiring colors/pin-outs matched the controller I saw in the videos for the Bronco install (everything matched up).

I contacted AMP and asked what the difference was between the kits. I got a vague reply that the older kit was "developed for the Ranger" while the new kit is "for both the Ranger and Bronco". Smelling some bullcrap, I pressed harder and asked, if there was an actual change in the parts or if it was a software difference in the controller? They replied and said neither, and that the change was "electrical". I couldn't see how there would be a different "electrical" component change, given there was no notable difference in components list via the instructions, videos, etc. so I presumed this may just have to do with wire lengths or some other insignificant difference.

Now AMP doesn't have any stock of this older kit either, since they superseded it last year BUT... there's distributors out there that have stock of the older kit (I guess these don't sell as well for Ranger owners as they do Broncos).

Undeterred and willing to take a gamble, I went to AutoAnything as they apparently had stock of the older kit (76136-01A). I chatted an online rep who confirmed they had around 25 units available. Even gave me 10% off + free shipping. The running boards showed up yesterday and I installed them today. I followed the instructions for the 76140-01A kit (available online) and when the moment of truth finally arrived, I thought "there's no way this is going to work and fire up". I put the fuse in at the final step of the install and sure enough, everything worked FLAWLESSLY!!!

I can't believe I got these ordered/installed in under 5 days when I had hopelessly been thinking for weeks that I couldn't get these till December.

Best I can tell, the only difference is the instructions included in the box. So if you find anywhere that has stock of the old 76136-01A... pull the trigger! You're welcome. :)

Will post a few pics/vids tomorrow. Started the install at 5PM and finished right when the sun went down.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here it is. Again, used the old 76136-01A kit (no longer available from AMP but there is stock out there at distributors) for the 2019-20 Ranger.

No modifications AT ALL to the kit. All the parts are exactly the same. Just download the instructions for the 76140-01A kit from AMP and follow the Bronco instructions. :)

Ford Bronco AMP Research power steps backordered? - get them now... IMG_1806
Ford Bronco AMP Research power steps backordered? - get them now... IMG_1808

Jeremy311

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ordered a set as well, as the override switch! Thank you so much man! I’ve been scouring the internet for weeks trying to figure out what you did!

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, I also added the override switch, as I'd like to be able to manually control them when the doors are off or washing the car or even deploy them when driving down a gravel road to block stone spray.

Jeremy311

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, I also added the override switch, as I'd like to be able to manually control them when the doors are off or washing the car or even deploy them when driving down a gravel road to block stone spray.
Where did you mount your switch?

Sponsored

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Camry, 2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Which override switch did you get? Looks like there are three to choose from

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Where did you mount your switch?
Best spot I found for it was between the parking brake lever and hood release on the lower dash. It's also one of the few spots where it isn't problematic from the rear.

When you center it under the brake lever, the right edge of the switch is aligned with the edge of the hood release lever. It's pretty inconspicuous when sitting in the driver's seat.

Ford Bronco AMP Research power steps backordered? - get them now... IMG_1828

Ford Bronco AMP Research power steps backordered? - get them now... IMG_1829

Last edited:
OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which override switch did you get? Looks like there are three to choose from
79106-01A. That's the one that doesn't come with a controller. The ones with a controller are only for older systems that didn't support the override switch and require a whole new controller.

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BTW, since I've seen this asked quite a few times and never answered...

When your doors are off, the steps operate as if the door is "closed" and they are retracted permanently. This is what I would have expected because obviously as you're driving around doorless, the truck wouldn't want to be thinking the doors were "open".

Anyway, confirmed today as I took my doors off. Which also gave me to have a reason to use the switch a few times so my 7yr old daughter could get in and out easier.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info! I'm going to check with the supplier I had the "bronco" kit on order since March and finally canceled.

Sponsored
OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No problem! Happy to have helped some folks out! (y)(y)

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nicely done, and thank you for sharing. One question, who makes your front bumper?

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ADD (Addictive Desert Designs). It's their Bomber front bumper and I have the 6" Rigid 360 lights in it.

I also have the same rear bumper, along with their Bomber front skid plate. The plastic skid plate can be cut to work with the bumper but I had the steel skid plates from the Black Diamond and opted not to cut it as the design is slightly different than the plastic one and I wasn't sure how it would look. I like the Bomber skid plate because it completes the look.

Jeremy311

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My steps are supposed to be delivered today, and I'm getting my ducks in a row, and I had a thought. Is there a way to wire the switch to one of my aux switches? I would love not to have to drill a hole into my dash!

OP
OP
boomboomthump

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No because the Aux switches are single pole, single throw (on/off). The override switch is single pole, double throw (on/off/on).

Besides, after using it a bunch of times all weekend with my doors off, I wouldn't want it located anywhere else. When you're standing outside the vehicle and want to use it, its so convenient. If you have to lean into the vehicle to reach a switch somewhere, as soon as you hit it, those steps are swinging down and hitting you in the shins. ;)
Sponsored