Sponsored

AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review)

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a person who has owned both I wanted to give a review to help others make a decision. This is 100% just my option do as you wish with it.

AMP Research (Not on my Bronco but my F150)
https://www.amp-research.com/powerstep-running-board/2021/ford/bronco

The Good
They are easier to step on when getting out (If you look at the pic of Rock slide they stick out like 4in it does make it harder to get to the step)
They weigh less
Some may think it looks better not being so bulky.
Cost less
Sets higher (About 1in this is a guess based off other info)

The bad
Only good for street use (0 function beside as a step)
Looks (Personally I like the look of Rock Slides way better)
Doesn't drop as far (See Pics of Blue Bronco below)

Rock Slide
https://rockslideengineering.com/shop-rse/

The Good
You basically have 2 steps it sticks out so much you can stand on the casing and clean the roof or whatever.
100% made for offroad use (1000% strong just not fair to compare on this subject)
Great customer service (Never worked with AMP so they maybe great also but Rock Slide is great for sure)
Drops 9 1/2in (See Pic)
Helps keep rocks from tire off side of Bronco.
Helps keep rocks and trees when offroad off the side of the bronco.

The Bad
Sets about an 1 in lower
Heavy (But you are safer its like having bumpers on each side)
Little harder when getting out to step on the step. (See below)

This is my opinion
If I was buying a street only Lux ride keeping it more stock looking and wife drives the most or on a budget. I would get the AMP Research.

If I'm going off road and like the aftermarket look and its not 100% about making the step as easy and as comfortable as possible and not on a budget. Its Rock Slide 100% (Personally I think this looks way better if I had to do it again I would 100% buy this over the AMP Research)

One last thing I want to be very clear the stepping out isn't a big deal with the Rock Slide but if AMP is a 10 on a scale 1-10 on easy its am 8 for Rock Slide its still super easy just not as easy.

For me anything other than a Jeep or Bronco I would buy AMP Research But a Jeep or Bronco 100% Rock Slide for me.

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) IMG_9076
Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) IMG_9072
Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) IMG_9071
Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) IMG_9077

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) IMG_9085

Blue Bronco With AMP TOYO 35x12.5r20s on it.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-rails-and-added-amp-power-steps.41055/page-3

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) C46B3AC8-47D0-44AE-8F35-154614C20E02

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) F963DE34-F79F-46D3-B61B-E60318154EFB

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) 19F0B373-6810-4106-9237-B900DA0D014B
Sponsored

Last edited:

Limecreek

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1100RS, BMW R1200RS, Honda CRV, Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the review. I’m looking forward to getting mine - ordered them about 10 weeks ago. My only concern about the RSE design is the narrow step. My wife has some physical limitations and the narrow step may be a challenge for her.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gonna order up some rock slides soon. Hard to beat the looks of a White Sasquatch. Love it. The factory steps on mine work, just a little cumbersome.
Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) 366545AF-5D8C-4D7B-9672-6A2E8A2D8398

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Rockslide works if you have the doors off , what about the amp I understand they use the obd port ? So would they be Down with the doors off or shutoff (unplugged) useless with out doors ?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do the Rock Slides attach? If just to the body then they really are not a rock slider. The Amps are plug and play. If you take the doors off, how do they work? I think they do sell an override switch? Looks like the Slides have to be wired with a clunky magnet switch in the doors.

Have owned several sets of the Amps on various trucks. Like the look of the sliders on the Bronco though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rockslide works if you have the doors off , what about the amp I understand they use the obd port ? So would they be Down with the doors off or shutoff (unplugged) useless with out doors ?
Rockslide work with the door off (Yes, you just have to push a button to make it go up and down)
AMP I have no idea how they work on the Bronco

How do the Rock Slides attach? If just to the body then they really are not a rock slider. The Amps are plug and play. If you take the doors off, how do they work? I think they do sell an override switch? Looks like the Slides have to be wired with a clunky magnet switch in the doors.

Have owned several sets of the Amps on various trucks. Like the look of the sliders on the Bronco though.
It attach the same way Fords TRUE rockslides work so Ford says they are true rock sliders.

My guess would be both styles are plug and play.

Rockslide work by button no idea if or how AMP work with the doors off

Yes magnet to the door very simple to use and install. you have an override button to cut them off and also they make a kit the once the doors are off you can push a button to let them up and down with the doors off.

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a person who has owned both I wanted to give a review to help others make a decision. This is 100% just my option do as you wish with it.

AMP Research (Not on my Bronco but my F150)
https://www.amp-research.com/powerstep-running-board/2021/ford/bronco

The Good
They are easier to step on when getting out (If you look at the pic of Rock slide they stick out like 4in it does make it harder to get to the step)
They weigh less
Some may think it looks better not being so bulky.
Cost less
Sets higher (About 1in this is a guess based off other info)

The bad
Only good for street use (0 function beside as a step)
Looks (Personally I like the look of Rock Slides way better)
Doesn't drop as far (most are 6-7in) No measurement on bronco yet someone get it post and ill update

Rock Slide
https://rockslideengineering.com/shop-rse/

The Good
You basically have 2 steps it sticks out so much you can stand on the casing and clean the roof or whatever.
100% made for offroad use (1000% strong just not fair to compare on this subject)
Great customer service (Never worked with AMP so they maybe great also but Rock Slide is great for sure)
Drops 9 1/2in (See Pic)
Helps keep rocks from tire off side of Bronco.
Helps keep rocks and trees when offroad off the side of the bronco.

The Bad
Sets about an 1 in lower
Heavy (But you are safer its like having bumpers on each side)
Little harder when getting out to step on the step. (See below)

This is my opinion
If I was buying a street only Lux ride keeping it more stock looking and wife drives the most or on a budget. I would get the AMP Research.

If I'm going off road and like the aftermarket look and its not 100% about making the step as easy and as comfortable as possible and not on a budget. Its Rock Slide 100% (Personally I think this looks way better if I had to do it again I would 100% buy this over the AMP Research)

One last thing I want to be very clear the stepping out isn't a big deal with the Rock Slide but if AMP is a 10 on a scale 1-10 on easy its am 8 for Rock Slide its still super easy just not as easy.

For me anything other than a Jeep or Bronco I would buy AMP Research But a Jeep or Bronco 100% Rock Slide for me.

Ford Bronco AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review) 366545AF-5D8C-4D7B-9672-6A2E8A2D8398

These look great. My Sas came with factory steps that is super annoying cause of how high up the step is. I understand the purpose but so far I am not loving the step. I want to cover up the rocker panel so it looks like these do both.

Can you install mudflaps with these steps?

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See post 1 for updated pics of a set of AMP on a Bronco with measurements. Also has a link to his thread.

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

These look great. My Sas came with factory steps that is super annoying cause of how high up the step is. I understand the purpose but so far I am not loving the step. I want to cover up the rocker panel so it looks like these do both.

Agree, they are so awkward to step on.

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to say yes on the mud flaps but I am sill waiting for my Rokbkokz Mud Flap to come in but you have a ton of room I see no way they could be in the way of the mud flaps.

Sponsored

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Camry, 2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you think the Ford accessory rocker panels that are used to hide the pinch weld can be left on? Or will that have to be removed before installing the AMP steps?

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going to say yes on the mud flaps but I am sill waiting for my Rokbkokz Mud Flap to come in but you have a ton of room I see no way they could be in the way of the mud flaps.
I have the factory steps right now, not a fan. You can't even put on mudflaps without cutting a hole in them to account for the forward protusion of the step. I live in Alaska and I can't even drive out of my neighborhood without it getting dirty. The gap in the fender flare and the step is just big enough to send break up junk all down the side of my Bronco. So I think the AMP step will make getting in easier and some mudflaps will hopefully help with keeping it clean while city driving.

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So would you guys say the RSE are the best most well made?
I am really happy with my steps. They look great and when folded up do a nice job of protecting the lower portion of the doors.
So would you guys say the RSE are the best most well made?
Well all I have to compare them to is the stock steps but I love my steps. They fold up nicely to the body of the vehicle protecting the lower doors. That makes them a great feature if you're going off asphalt. They have led lights which are nice in the winter up here. They are very rugged and sturdy!
Sponsored