Sponsored

AMP Research vs Rock Slide Power steps (My Review)

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you find that they also help protect the car from rock chips from the tires?
Sponsored

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you find that they also help protect the car from rock chips from the tires?
The rocker panel area yes. Until I got my Rek Gen mudflaps I was still getting some rock chips. Once I got the mud flaps installed they definitely helping reduce rock chips. Mud still gets through the small gap between the flap and the step but overall the combo has reduced that.

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The rocker panel area yes. Until I got my Rek Gen mudflaps I was still getting some rock chips. Once I got the mud flaps installed they definitely helping reduce rock chips. Mud still gets through the small gap between the flap and the step but overall the combo has reduced that.
I have the Zroadz but have always been eyeballing the RSEs. Maybe one day. Out of curiosity what size RegGen flaps did you go with?

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IDK, LOL. I found my order from April and it only states Front and Rear Black. I would go with the XL though.

Sponsored

Old Hound

Wildtrak
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you for the review. I’m looking forward to getting mine - ordered them about 10 weeks ago. My only concern about the RSE design is the narrow step. My wife has some physical limitations and the narrow step may be a challenge for her.
My wife is 5'6" and has bad knees, she loves the Rockslide steps.
she was worried a little when I got them installed about the step width but hasn't had any problems with it. She has said this was the best thing I've doon the Bronco. And yes, they both protect the side of the Bronco from rocks from the tires as well as tight trails.

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have the Zroadz but have always been eyeballing the RSEs. Maybe one day. Out of curiosity what size RegGen flaps did you go with?
I am pretty sure I have the original RekGen mudflaps as I don't recall there being a size to select when I got mine. I would go with the XL if I had a choice now.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Bradley Thornton I recently came across a post in another thread about the RSE steps having a high standby load and drain the battery if you don't use your Bronco often.

Have you seen this behavior? Sometimes my Bronco will sit for 3-5 weeks if I'm not going anywhere.

thanks.

Found thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...harge-if-parked-long-term.60206/#post-1695272
2 weeks is the max mine sits but never had an issue.

If it happens you could just wire up a relay.
The way I would think you would want to do it is how ever you get signal that the door is opening make that power or ground make the connection to activate power to make the steps work that way it can't pull amps till the relay connects. This really shouldn't hurt the activation time by more than a 1/4 sec.

Leash makes great stuff if you want a high end relay. (They have a few options)

https://leashelectronics.com/products/single-70amp-relay-module

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way I would think you would want to do it is how ever you get signal that the door is opening make that power or ground make the connection to activate power to make the steps work that way it can't pull amps till the relay connects. This really shouldn't hurt the activation time by more than a 1/4 sec.

Thanks for your thoughts! And the link to Leash. I'm always looking for quality USA parts.
I think it makes sense to trigger the relay off the step trigger.

Sponsored

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine has only sat for two weeks without driving and I did not have any battery drain issues.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My guess would be both styles are plug and play.

Rockslide work by button no idea if or how AMP work with the doors off

Yes magnet to the door very simple to use and install. you have an override button to cut them off and also they make a kit the once the doors are off you can push a button to let them up and down with the doors off.
Plug & Play: The Amp controllers plug into the OBD wiring and know when the doors are open by listening to the computer. I think this is far superior to the old school RSE magnets (IMO), but it's not completely plug & play based on their manual. You still have to tap some wires behind the OBD harness.

I've also heard rumors that these Amp controllers can be used with other steps, if the open/close signals are just 12v on/off, but that is too in depth and too costly for my current goals. The magnets are doing OK, and just ok. Lol.

A little cautionary tale if you want to control relay with accessory switches: I originally wired a relay into the step's power, controlled by Accessory switches on the Bronco..... and it screwed everything up. I really didn't want to install that red button in my cab.

Aside from the steps not working unless the truck is on (accessory switches aren't always on) there were some WEIRD gremlins caused by the accessory switch powering down (truck turned off) while the steps were deployed/ door open. They really freaked out on me and had to reset them every time.

OP
OP
Bradley Thornton

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your thoughts! And the link to Leash. I'm always looking for quality USA parts.
I think it makes sense to trigger the relay off the step trigger.
Plug & Play: The Amp controllers plug into the OBD wiring and know when the doors are open by listening to the computer. I think this is far superior to the old school RSE magnets (IMO), but it's not completely plug & play based on their manual. You still have to tap some wires behind the OBD harness.

I've also heard rumors that these Amp controllers can be used with other steps, if the open/close signals are just 12v on/off, but that is too in depth and too costly for my current goals. The magnets are doing OK, and just ok. Lol.

A little cautionary tale if you want to control relay with accessory switches: I originally wired a relay into the step's power, controlled by Accessory switches on the Bronco..... and it screwed everything up. I really didn't want to install that red button in my cab.

Aside from the steps not working unless the truck is on (accessory switches aren't always on) there were some WEIRD gremlins caused by the accessory switch powering down (truck turned off) while the steps were deployed/ door open. They really freaked out on me and had to reset them every time.
Jhuff you are very close to trolling with your Plug and Play comment. To me its plug and play as in very easy to do maybe no plug and play as you plug into OBD port and steps magically appear on the Bronco and you go riding.

But being your second point made me remember that the Steps relearn every time you cut power completely off as in disconnect my comment above will not work so thanks for that.

Now how to fix the problem. Buy this put it in manual mode it will keep power to the steps till 11v then it will disconnect that way you can still crank the Bronco if battery get to low.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7BMM1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If this link is no good later look up a dual battery isolator just make sure it will let the volts drop below a voltage lower than 12.6 but not too low to not let the battery still crank the Bronco. This one in manual mode disconnects at 11V

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jhuff you are very close to trolling with your Plug and Play comment. To me its plug and play as in very easy to do maybe no plug and play as you plug into OBD port and steps magically appear on the Bronco and you go riding.

But being your second point made me remember that the Steps relearn every time you cut power completely off as in disconnect my comment above will not work so thanks for that.

Now how to fix the problem. Buy this put it in manual mode it will keep power to the steps till 11v then it will disconnect that way you can still crank the Bronco if battery get to low.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7BMM1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If this link is no good later look up a dual battery isolator just make sure it will let the volts drop below a voltage lower than 12.6 but not too low to not let the battery still crank the Bronco. This one in manual mode disconnects at 11V
Not sure if I would call my comment trolling, or anything other than normal. Just different definitions of plug and play (installing OBD plug v running & installing old school reed switches). The diy controller comment was for adventurous souls debating the plug and play benefit v durability.

As far as the relay, I was advising anyone who might try it about some potential problems. I have no issue with vampire draw, I just wanted full control of steps without the big red button.

I did find a 3 position switch that I can install under the seat, which allows me to turn steps to "always off", "auto", or "always deployed" (for cleaning, maintenance or just climbing up and reaching the top). It's not the accessory switch, but better than nothing.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone!

It just occurred to me that IAG is tapping into a "door-open" lead for their interior lights.
I might be interested in using that instead of the magnets.
I'd rather put any new holes between interior/exterior higher than lower.

Hmmm, custom RSE wired steps? Sounds fun!

Good point on the steps re-learning when power is cut. I hadn't heard that before. It adds another reason for the constant power hook-up.

I'd probably go with factory RSE hookup and see if I have any issues before resorting to alternate methods to reduce standby power draw. No need to over complicate if there are no issues.
Sponsored