Sponsored

An example of "How NOT to Flat-tow" - destroying a new Rubicon in 4L and 1st gear at highway speeds

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
mds5917

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mechanic "did a bit of napkin math and figured that at 55 mph, the engine was spinning somewhere around 50,000 rpm, well above the factory redline of 6,600 rpm."

Poor little guy was just tryin' to keep up...

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think "The Drive" needs to hire new writers or new editing staff. I try not to be overly picky but the sentence:

"In case you can't disseminate what you're looking at..."

Makes absolutely no sense. I think he might have been going for "discern". It's also possible the writer was the same person who tried to flat-tow that Jeep in 4L, though...

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

that is a whole new level of destruction.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get it and all, but vertical video is the bane of the modern video capture era. Please stop. No, just stop.
Just say NO to vertical videos. You definitely do not want to catch VVS (Vertical Video Syndrome).

Last edited:
OP
OP
mds5917

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel bad for all the busted tires and wheels that surely followed in this dude's wake on the highway.
You've got to wonder how far they towed this - it's almost seems like they got to their destination and tried to drive it and it didn't work. It has to be making some insane noise and causing some kind of shaking. Even behind a 30'-40' RV there had to be 'signs'. And as mentioned, probably a few people passing them trying to point out that they were flying crap all over the road...

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You've got to wonder how far they towed this - it's almost seems like they got to their destination and tried to drive it and it didn't work. It has to be making some insane noise and causing some kind of shaking. Even behind a 30'-40' RV there had to be 'signs'. And as mentioned, probably a few people passing them trying to point out that they were flying crap all over the road...
Conversation was probably like this "Hmm, RV's acting a little sluggish, let me put my foot down and blow it out (boom) ... well, seems to be towing just fine now, I'll check out that noise when we get to our destination"

Anyrate, $30k in damages! ... seems like it would be better for a Hellcat transplant than trying to fix it back stock.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think "The Drive" needs to hire new writers or new editing staff. I try not to be overly picky but the sentence:

"In case you can't disseminate what you're looking at..."

Makes absolutely no sense. I think he might have been going for "discern". It's also possible the writer was the same person who tried to flat-tow that Jeep in 4L, though...
It is the dumbing down of the United States. People use words without knowing the meaning and sometimes the dictionaries change the meaning to reflect the misusage is it is widespread enough. The most egregious examples in my opinion are; 'decimate', literally means to reduce by one tenth, people think it is a synonym for 'annihilate' and use it as such. In the last ten years, dictionaries include the original definition and the incorrect second version. 'Epitome' which means the most accurate representation of an entire class of items, (for you statistic folks, think 'mean', for others think 'average'), but they misread the definition of being the most or best representative as being the best representation, the word they really mean is 'Acme' or pinnacle/peak. That makes the road runner cartoons even funnier as the coyote buys only stuff labeled Acme. Mixed metaphors, people not understanding that the letters 'alot' are underlined in red because it is not a word, no matter how much you capitalize it! It someone is guilty of any of these verbal or written offenses, people are making fun of you.

Short version; epitome means average, not best. There is no such word as 'alot', and decimate means reduction to 90% of the original number, not annihilation. Acme means the best. There will now be people who rage at me and argue, but they are wrong. Actually read the dictionary definitions, especially for 'epitome' and you will see where you made your mistake.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can only guess that it looked something like this when it let go.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To the point. I always verify TC in neutral by putting transmission in gear with engine running and a little rev to double check that TC is in neutral, I'm not sure the Bronco will allow this verification as it is all done electrically with the engine off. And the way the manual reads you also leave the transmission in neutral which would make it impossible to physically verify TC neutral. We'll just have to trust the electronics.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude was probably thinking ........."we're good, it's still new under warranty"

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This was a friend of mine a couple of years ago. Made me think about how I would get disconnected in case of a fire.

Ford Bronco An example of "How NOT to Flat-tow" - destroying a new Rubicon in 4L and 1st gear at highway speeds IMG_1766.JPG
Ford Bronco An example of "How NOT to Flat-tow" - destroying a new Rubicon in 4L and 1st gear at highway speeds IMG_1767.JPG
Ford Bronco An example of "How NOT to Flat-tow" - destroying a new Rubicon in 4L and 1st gear at highway speeds IMG_1768.JPG

Sponsored