Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
August 1, 2020

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing regarding the currently-stated maximum towing capacity of the 2021 Bronco at 3500lbs. While the Bronco is a purpose-built off-road vehicle, and prospective buyers should not have expected the 7500lb TC of its Ranger l, I for one am disappointed that Ford has not been willing and/or able to engineer it to tow at least 5000lbs in any build. This is despite two wheelbases, three engine/transmission combinations, two suspensions, and no fewer than four rear differential ratios. I urge you to consider developing a package capable of towing at least 5000lbs, even if it is limited to certain builds.

One word of warning though: the Bronco at its heart is an enthusiast's vehicle, and you have already disappointed many of us by not offering the enthusiast's transmission with the enthusiast's tire/suspension package. If you are willing and capable of offering a package with higher TC and it is not available with the manual transmission then this disappointment will deepen even further. Please consider your mechanical limitations carefully and do not succumb to the whims of those who may not fully appreciate their audience.

Yours in Bronco

Advertisement

Last edited:

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
The problem is, while maybe only a small percentage, 5% of the design team was people like this:

1596321868564.png

All of the marketing -- and package combinations were composed and executed by folks like this:

1596321914249.png

1596321940870.png

Who also created marketing for all of Ford's other stuff, such as this:

1596321751050.png

So I would be surprised if more than 5% of those who actually worked on the release were the 4x4 offroad user type.

OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interestingly Magna rates the 7MTI550 for up to 405lb-ft of torque, which is pretty much bang-on with the projected output of the 2.7L. This may be far too close for the third guy in aplm7's post, but quite possibly actually good enough. Magna also rates it for up to 22,000lbs of GCWR, so even the people in people in aplm7's first and second photos should be capable of doing the math to allow it for 5000lbs towing.

Attachments

JAGSarge

Outer Banks
Staff member
First Name
'Blu'
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Off-Road suspension is probably more the culprit than the powertrain. This is a purpose built vehicle for off-roading; I'd love a larger tow rating myself but hard to have both.

EvlNvrDys

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
It's a bronco, you shouldn't be towing anything offroad. You need an f150
Tell that to the FSB owners that could tow 7000 lbs.
Point is, it's our Bronco to do how we choose, God willing that means being able to tow.
I'm about done with people who say... You don't need a Bronco... You need X. Save it for someone who cares.

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 F-150, '05 F-350, '13 JKU, '11 Jag XJL, '11 BMW 740LI, '05 Bentley GT
I might be in the minority because I own an F350 dually longggg wheel base that is 2wd and design to tow and tow only. I believe in using purpose built vehicles for a purpose. My F350 would not do well offroad.... And i don't expect my Bronco to tow... It's a 4wd offroading machine not really designed to tow...It has a short wheelbase so it's naturally flawed for towing as it is. Jeep is the same way, towing with it sucks.... I would not want to tow 5k lbs in a short wheelbase vehicle like the Bronco, especially on the highway... I think that is just plain dangerous....

And honestly not sure what is so important to tow that will be over 3500lbs but under 5k lbs except for maybe a car....And if it was just around town, tow the damn thing at 5k lbs...most important thing about towing in town is the brakes....and forget about towing a car on the highway with it, again, not something I would ever do... I've had a 33" tire blow out on my Jeep on i-95 with a Uhaul attached to it which fell over because of how much the Jeep jack knifed...Scary shit. I also had a mystery trailer come unhinged (despite having the tongue lock still attached and yes it was the correct ball size) on the F350 and i came away with just a little damage....If I was in the Bronco when that happened I could possibly not be here anymore....

Anyway, I disagree with the letter
My .02 cents

BroncoJay

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
What does our (broncos) competitor- Jeep typical tow package rating?
I’d look it up but - yawn 🥱 it’s Jeep..

Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Send it if you want but the second paragraph reads like you’re Bronco-splaining the Bronco to the guys and gals who designed the Bronco.

Nate
They didn't allow manual transmission with the Sasquatch package so I kinda feel that they need a bit of a Bronc-splaining...

Advertisement

Advertisement