First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My thoughts exactly. I have a farm and have hauled trailers, campers, and tractors. I’ve also owned a Jeep and would want to pull more than a 4 wheeler or lawn mower with it. I have first hand experience as you do and agree with your post
Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Lakelife,

Rather than starting a thread with a poll about towing limits and using that as a launching point to gather like-minded members/enthusiasts to your cause, you began this campaign with a "letter." The tone, the pronoun changes ( "I" inexplicably became "us." Who are the us?), and your failing to specify that you're asking for a towing package, not a trim level with higher towing capabilities, has opened the door to, oh, about 4 pages of derision and defensiveness.

Look. I have no idea how many prospective Bronco owners would like a higher towing rating. Maybe Ford doesn't either. Maybe, as was suggested, the 3500# is a place-holder to show equivalency with Jeep? My humble recommendation is that you gather more information and more like-minded members, then present your findings to Mr. Levine In a polite manner.

Nate

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not every vehicle will fit everyone's needs. The tow rating on the Bronco matches right up with its competitor, the Wrangler. If the Wrangler or Bronco's tow rating doesn't fit your needs then go for a different vehicle segment that does fit your needs.
The 4Runner and FJ tow(ed) 5000lbs IIRC. It can be done in a short wheelbase off-road vehicle.

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lakelife,

Rather than starting a thread with a poll about towing limits and using that as a launching point to gather like-minded members/enthusiasts to your cause, you began this campaign with a "letter." The tone, the pronoun changes ( "I" inexplicably became "us." Who are the us?), and your failing to specify that you're asking for a towing package, not a trim level with higher towing capabilities, has opened the door to, oh, about 4 pages of derision and defensiveness.

Look. I have no idea how many prospective Bronco owners would like a higher towing rating. Maybe Ford doesn't either. Maybe, as was suggested, the 3500# is a place-holder to show equivalency with Jeep? My humble recommendation is that you gather more information and more like-minded members, then present your findings to Mr. Levine In a polite manner.

Nate
Nate that's a great idea. I'm not good with writing or with things like polls. How would I (or someone else) go about setting one up?

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nate that's a great idea. I'm not good with writing or with things like polls. How would I (or someone else) go about setting one up?
Well, first of all, you are a fine writer. Second, I set it up.

Be kind, it's my first poll.

Nate

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4Runner and FJ tow(ed) 5000lbs IIRC. It can be done in a short wheelbase off-road vehicle.
Correct but thats not their target audience, its to compete with the wrangler, (Removable top and doors) not Jeep as a whole. The GC can tow 6k+ and has 2” shorter wheelbase but the Bronco wasnt meant to compete with that Jeep model.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im going to be able to tow an off road teardrop, they weigh under 2k pounds usually. Gives me some wiggle room for cargo.
recon.jpg
Thats dry weight right? Mine weighs 2100 dry, add gear, water, diesel, propane and food and that adds up to 1300lbs.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had hoped the Bronco would replace my FJ Cruiser, which can tow 5000#s.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats dry weight right? Mine weighs 2100 dry, add gear, water, diesel, propane and food and that adds up to 1300lbs.
If I may sir, what you actually want the Bronco to tow it can do. There are factors of safety built into that 3500lb number. If your camping trailer is at 3400lb you’re solid.

Buy it and enjoy it.

KaneNorth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not a Jeep/wrangler owner so what’s your point? Never said nobody can have an off-road vehicle that only tows crap amounts. I said it’s not a lot to ask for in today’s world when suvs same size as a 4dr bronco can tow almost 10k and that I won’t be getting one without at least half that capability. I don’t own a wrangler, and part of it is just that reason, it would sit at home or be my daily driver and wouldn’t go with me on trips to be used.
The point is the Bronco is built to compete with the Wrangler and has the exact same row rating.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m trying to understand what you are doing with 40 gallons of water. Our trailer holds 30 in the fresh and for a 5-day trip, for 5 people, we’ll typically go through around 45 gallons. That’s WITH and gray tanks and black tank. I don’t know if your trailer has those type of tanks but that’s a lot of water. When we had our teardrop, we could do a week, with 5 people with 20 gallons because we were conservative.

If you ever towed 7k with the FSB’s, it was an exciting experience. I towed an FJ40 behind my 89 FSB from Michigan to KS in the early 2000’s. It was on a heavy steel car trailer. It was a 60mph white knuckle ride the whole way.

I see people all the time pushing the tow capacity of the mid-size trucks. The front ends are up in the air and it looks like a crazy ride. Also, rear coil sprung vehicles definitely act different from their leaf spring counterparts when it comes to towing.

I agree, the aftermarket will have things to get the tow capacity up. Air bags, weight distribution, heavier coils etc.

KaneNorth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just want to say that it can be done, just look at the 2020 defender 8000 lbs towing capacity, some will argue that it is not the same type of car . They sure both advertise as being off road.

I understand what you are looking for, especially when you talk about one to do it all.

As for the second post the people working in marketing , engineer,conceptions, Designers, they all have a job to do and a catalogue of specs to meet. I don't think they are the type of the one you mentioned.

Sure some would not have known off road or even the over-landing or know why Jeep owner wave at each other on the road, or even do camping once in a while. But that does not make them incapable of building a Bronco. They probably took the time to learn what the community is about, they probably experience it to try to understand. I think they did a very good job. That being said you have the right to think what you want second post! I just wanted to defend them a little since I think they did a nice job.

Food for thought : Maybe Ford wanted to beat the wrangler so bad that they forget to look at the other model and got tunnel vision, maybe the specs to meet or exceed was in the 3500 towing capacity and it was just designed to equal the Wrangler.
The defender also has an air suspension, which would help quite a bit.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The problem is, while maybe only a small percentage, 5% of the design team was people like this:

1596321868564.png

All of the marketing -- and package combinations were composed and executed by folks like this:

1596321914249.png

1596321940870.png

Who also created marketing for all of Ford's other stuff, such as this:

1596321751050.png

So I would be surprised if more than 5% of those who actually worked on the release were the 4x4 offroad user type.
Is her shirt tucked into her pants just in one tiny spot in the front? So that her nether regions are on display??
Sponsored