Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dude that sounds freaky I wouldn't trust towing much after those experiences either! Glad you made it through those.

For reference we have a body-on-frame SUV that is rated for 7500lbs and we tow our 4400lb (dry) trailer with it all the time both on highway and up logging roads. It has a wheelbase of 114" - 2" less than the four door. Many people who like to camp off-road have small trailers, bass boats, etc. that are pretty heavy for 3500lbs TC but well under 5000lbs.
Sponsored

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get why people are unhappy with a medium-long list of Bronco issues, but personally I believe the Bronco design team kicked ass. The team who fought for finally getting approval to build it kicked ass. There is room for improvement sure.. but that’s what subsequent model years are for.

I haven’t been this excited for something in a long time. It’s unique and checks about 90% of the boxes. It’s a beast, it looks great, and pays homage to the past.

That being said. Anything that calls out Levine or Ford marketing, the IT Team, or basically any other part of Ford beyond the core design team...have at it.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a bronco, you shouldn't be towing anything offroad. You need an f150
Wouldn’t be towing anything off-road, but without the ability to tow decent amount on road, then unhook and go off road, I won’t be getting a bronco. Don’t need an f150 for what I tow, no longer live in an age where a truck is the only thing that can ever tow anything. And I won’t be getting 2 vehicles. It’s not ridiculous to ask for almost half the tow cap of multiple other vehicles with similar dimensions giving the disadvantage for the off-road suspension, 2/3 the tow cap of the truck built on the same platform(5k to rangers 7500) or almost half the f150 with the 2.7(9k). Nobody’s asking to match those tow ratings, but 3500 is crap. As it stands I’ll probably be getting a gladiator(only thing that can tow more than I need, still capable enough for me off road, and has removable top) but would much rather it be the 4 dr bronco with at least 5k tow cap(preferable manual as well, but if I had to get the 2.7/auto for a 5k tow cap I’d begrudgingly deal with it).

Even if I did get 2 vehicles, bronco and something that can tow what I need, that would just mean the bronco gets left at home and would only be used for driving to work and back and would then rarely see off road as it would be sitting at home when I’m on trips with tow vehicle. So saying I need an f150 or anything else to tow with is saying I shouldn’t use the bronco off road at all and it just be my daily driver/mall crawler. If it’s built for off-road, only way it’s gonna get there with me is with a decent tow cap.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Or get an F-250 and tow the Bronco to the trailhead.
Ford Bronco An open letter to Mike Levine et al. 9FB7677E-BF5D-4022-A3BB-19BA637D7DAC

I really don’t understand the “I need more towing” thing. It’s a vehicle for a specific segment of the market. If you want more towing with some 4x4 capability get an Expedition (or a truck)

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wouldn’t be towing anything off-road, but without the ability to tow decent amount on road, then unhook and go off road, I won’t be getting a bronco. Don’t need an f150 for what I tow, no longer live in an age where a truck is the only thing that can ever tow anything. And I won’t be getting 2 vehicles. It’s not ridiculous to ask for almost half the tow cap of multiple other vehicles with similar dimensions giving the disadvantage for the off-road suspension, 2/3 the tow cap of the truck built on the same platform(5k to rangers 7500) or almost half the f150 with the 2.7(9k). Nobody’s asking to match those tow ratings, but 3500 is crap. As it stands I’ll probably be getting a gladiator(only thing that can tow more than I need, still capable enough for me off road, and has removable top) but would much rather it be the 4 dr bronco with at least 5k tow cap(preferable manual as well, but if I had to get the 2.7/auto for a 5k tow cap I’d begrudgingly deal with it).

Even if I did get 2 vehicles, bronco and something that can tow what I need, that would just mean the bronco gets left at home and would only be used for driving to work and back and would then rarely see off road as it would be sitting at home when I’m on trips with tow vehicle. So saying I need an f150 or anything else to tow with is saying I shouldn’t use the bronco off road at all and it just be my daily driver/mall crawler. If it’s built for off-road, only way it’s gonna get there with me is with a decent tow cap.
Wonder how millions of Jeep owners survive. ?

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wonder how millions of Jeep owners survive. ?
I’m not a Jeep/wrangler owner so what’s your point? Never said nobody can have an off-road vehicle that only tows crap amounts. I said it’s not a lot to ask for in today’s world when suvs same size as a 4dr bronco can tow almost 10k and that I won’t be getting one without at least half that capability. I don’t own a wrangler, and part of it is just that reason, it would sit at home or be my daily driver and wouldn’t go with me on trips to be used.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m not a Jeep/wrangler owner so what’s your point? Never said nobody can have an off-road vehicle that only tows crap amounts. I said it’s not a lot to ask for in today’s world when suvs same size as a 4dr bronco can tow almost 10k and that I won’t be getting one without at least half that capability. I don’t own a wrangler, and part of it is just that reason, it would sit at home or be my daily driver and wouldn’t go with me on trips to be used.
Well, the New Bronco is not for everyone.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Up until very recently, Jeep had very similar numbers towing with the wranglers, and now have similar or slightly larger capacities. They accomplished great ratings in the Gladiator, but now you’re going into the truck segment, and none of those numbers are valid with a manual trans and goes down with larger tires.
Point being, it’s a mid sized suv, not a truck. It was built for a specific purpose. There are plenty of options for towing capacity.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’ll just have to wait for the bronco truck, get a gladiator, or any other truck. Purpose built off road rig requires compromises in other areas. One of them is towing.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not buying it to tow. Buying a toy. I’ll buy a truck that’s made for towing if i need one. But it’s tow rating is in line with all the other manufacturers and I would rather lose tow capacity for off road longevity and fun any day.

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is bang on. And exactly why there's a good chance I won't end up being able to get a Bronco.

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To add ......... and when you make the suspension tow now it's not good off road.
I fully understand if the tow rating of the Badlands and Sasquatches where held way down due to their incredibly soft and long travel suspension made for rock crawling and other extreme off-road fun, but there should be enough compromise in the base suspension. Or even in a specific setup that is less capable off-road. It would still be an amazing vehicle even with a more utilitarian suspension.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An offroad camper that weighs 3400lbs. 3500 is cutting it too close. So in order for me to enjoy our bronco offroad when we go on trips to Moab, SW Colorado, Sedona etc. I see 4 options for me:
1. Im going to be forced to trade in my f150 for a f250/350 so I can throw the Bronco and camper on a bed trailer.
2. have the wife follow me on our 14 hour journeys in her Bronco.
3. find as much weight I can shed (Ex. 40 gallons of water in tanks) and tow it with the bronco.
4. Or forget about the super duty, sell the f150 for a gladiator diesel and forget the Bronco and keep the wife’s grand cherokee as a secondary tow vehicle.
Sponsored