Sponsored

An Unsurprising But Sad Update for Tesla Cybertruck Fans: Production Has Been Pushed to 2022

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The delay applies to the three Cybertruck models: single motor RWD, dual motor AWD, and tri motor AWD.

By Jody Serrano, Gizmodo
8/8/21 9:13PM

Ford Bronco An Unsurprising But Sad Update for Tesla Cybertruck Fans: Production Has Been Pushed to 2022 F7A3114D-4F09-46D0-B07F-FF8ABC9DED47

People take pictures of the newly unveiled all-electric battery-powered Tesla’s Cybertruck with shattered windows after a failed resistance test on November 21, 2019.Photo: Frederic J. Brown / AFP (Getty Images)

By now Tesla fans are well aware that the company, and its CEO Elon Musk, aren’t very good at meeting targets and timelines. It therefore comes as no surprise that the Cybertruck—the company’s first electric pickup truck that looks like something out of Blade Runner—has been delayed to 2022.

Spotted by Electrek on Saturday, the order page for the Cybertruck on Tesla’s website now states the following: “You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022.” The message appears on the order forms for all three models of the Cybertruck—single motor RWD, dual motor AWD, and tri motor AWD—despite earlier assertions from the company that the dual and tri motor versions would be produced first, the outlet pointed out.

Tesla first announced the Cybertruck in 2019, later specifying that it would go into production in late 2021.

However, there were signs that Cybertruck wouldn’t be delivered this year. This past January, Musk said Tesla would have to get “lucky” to deliver a few Cybertrucks by the end of the year as previously announced. Even then, Musk affirmed that he expected volume productions to begin in 2022.

In July, when Tesla released its Q2 financial results, the company maintained its late 2021 production date and stated that Cybertruck would be manufactured in its Gigafactory in Texas after the Model Y, according to Electrek. Given that production on Model Y is slated to also start at the end of this year, there was some skepticism.

And when it comes to skepticism on Tesla targets, you’d be hard-pressed not to believe it. I don’t say it as an insult. While I personally do not own Tesla vehicles, and do not have any plans to, I believe production and delivery are commitments the company makes with the customer. If the customer’s fine with waiting, then who am I to judge?

It’s also not the easiest truck to make. The steel exoskeleton body, for instance, will require new manufacturing processes to bring it to fruition. Tesla has also said it needs to order certain equipment and machines to begin production.

The point here is to inform people with Cybertruck orders—which could exceed 1 million, according to a crowdsourced reservation tracker cited by various outlets—that they should mentally prepare themselves to wait until 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good. It is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Musk had an opportunity to make something truly awesome and instead he seemed to have suffered a stroke while developing the cybertruck

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a love/hate thing obviously over 1.2 million love it , I never expected to get a cybertruck before my Bronco but I still don't know do I, at least on there forum there won't be crying about 0-60 times, underhood wiring mess or top issues and by the time it does come out the self driving will be alot closer to reality and we all know Tesla has been putting a lot on the line making that all happen.

I don't hate 4 door Broncos or Jeeps (but I understand).

The Cybertruck has to be a 4 door for me because everyone I know (even the haters) are going to want to go for a ride!

My Cybertruck reservation was on Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 6:24 AM making me over 330,000 from the first reservation and I realy truly hope My Bronco is here first being about #31,000 in line seeing that they are already in full production.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Announced in 2019. Wow. What a wait.

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The factory that this is being built in doesn't have walls yet... so expect fall 2022 to see any on the road

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

People hate all day on the cybertruck, but at least Musk has the balls to take risks with design.... He could've made a regular smegular hybrid truck for truck guys and truck folk.... he didn't... he legit made a truck for nerds, designed by nerds with nerd tech. Nerd isn't the insult it was in the 60's btw, its actually a term on endearment in 2021.
That being said, of all the hating, I've yet to see anyone present a big bold wildcard of a design for trucks that didn't look like a collage of every other truck on the road....

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People hate all day on the cybertruck, but at least Musk has the balls to take risks with design.... He could've made a regular smegular hybrid truck for truck guys and truck folk.... he didn't... he legit made a truck for nerds, designed by nerds with nerd tech. Nerd isn't the insult it was in the 60's btw, its actually a term on endearment in 2021.
That being said, of all the hating, I've yet to see anyone present a big bold wildcard of a design for trucks that didn't look like a collage of every other truck on the road....
I am looking forward to watching the sales results when the F-150 Lightning and the CyberTruck are both in full production. 🍿🍺

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Spot on
Yesterday I was kvetching to my wife about the latest Bronco delays and how I was playing around with the idea of a Defender (not srsly, just me flirting with the competition). We both acknowledged we couldn't afford a Defender right now and she says

"Why don't you just get a pickup truck"

I almost crashed our suv, I was so taken back by that. To me all pickup trucks look like carbon copies of each other. Forget the utility of the vehicle that id never use being a white collar professional living in the north east, who has never even been in the bed of a truck. I find them to be the most basic of vehicles.

The Tesla cyber truck however actually is innovative and striking in appearance. It's going to be polarizing. But that aspect is exactly what grabbed me about the new Ford Bronco
Sponsored