First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yo folks - I do not yet have my MT BL SAS but I already HATE the nonsense digital tach...seems like the single biggest design failure at least with respect to dash-related items anyway. So, I've begun to investigate 3rd party analog tachs. There are many, of course, but it's the mounting that will make or break the project. I know there are A-pillar mounted options for Jeep and I suspect something can be done on the column but I'm not sure how that install would go.

Anyone else considering this?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I ask what the big concern is with the tach? Not that its digital - I get that part.
I drove manual for years and after the first week or two in a new car, I never looked at the tach again. I am clearly missing/forgetting something..

adampdx

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious why you consider a digital tach a design “failure”?

OP
OP
heynow14

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I'm just old school but a sweep hand gauge is table stakes. The speedo is sweep...why a cheesy bar graph tach?

I've become accustomed to tach feedback when driving any MT - usually 60s-70s musclecars - so perhaps it's not as necessary here but I am still investigating. I suppose I will try to get used to the NintendoTach but I'm not holding my breath.

Given that the dash is basically an iPad, I find it interesting that it's not mildly customizable for these reasons...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree that the tach sucks. Really sucks. But, you should not be in danger of redlining, and I'm sure the engine has a rev limiter anyway, so the need is just not there. Let the engine tell you when it needs to shift, up or down, and don't worry about it.

Unless you are building a rat rod, and then yeah, keep us updated!

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they are sticking to their design guns and refusing to change the base layout of the instrument panel, they should atleast allow the digital side to be fully customizable. We don’t need double Speedos. The bar tach is stupid. Let us add a digital sweeping tach and play with the arrangement of various gauges. What’s important to one person might not be to another. It’s 2021, you have multiple screens in vehicles now, OTA updates.. how hard is it. Figure it out.

Last edited:

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The analogue speedo should have been a tach from the beginning....one of the biggest things that bothers me about the Bronco.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I ask what the big concern is with the tach? Not that its digital - I get that part.
I drove manual for years and after the first week or two in a new car, I never looked at the tach again. I am clearly missing/forgetting something..
Probably a preference thing. My first car was a stick with no tach and it worked fine. Once I got a stick shift car with a tach, I have never wanted one without it again. I'm an engineer, so I just like to know what the engine is doing, not a deal-breaker, but I prefer to have one.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we think there's a chance there will be an over the air to change the digital dash? Seems unlikely but wishful thinking for me.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably a preference thing. My first car was a stick with no tach and it worked fine. Once I got a stick shift car with a tach, I have never wanted one without it again. I'm an engineer, so I just like to know what the engine is doing, not a deal-breaker, but I prefer to have one.
Thats as good of answer as any. I've seen this brought up a lot, and as someone who's driven auto's for several years now, I just can't remember why it matters. CLEARLY it does though, so Im fine assuming I'm the confused one here. I usually am.

Sponsored

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The entire instrument panel is a disaster. It's far outclassed by vehicles that came out more than five years ago.

I hate every thing about it. It's ugly. It has digital and analog speedos right next to each other. Custom display is next to non-existent.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they are sticking to their design guns and refusing to change the base layout of the instrument panel, they should atleast allow the digital side to be fully customizable. We don’t need double Speedos. The bar tach

is stupid. Let us add a digital sweeping tach and play with the arrangement of various gauges. What’s important to one person might not be to another. It’s 2021, you have multiple screens in vehicles now, OTA updates.. how hard is it. Figure it out.

Ferda!

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also find the instrument cluster to be an area of exceptionally poor design. I’m fairly young and maybe it’s a generational thing but I actually prefer a digital speedometer over a physical one and would have preferred the Bronco have an analog tach and a larger text size speedometer.

Or maybe my Challenger’s instrument cluster spoiled me 👻. I highly doubt they fix it with an over the air update. I don’t think there’s a precedent for Ford doing something that substantial in their other vehicles.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I added one of these to my ST, then stopped looking at the analog tach. I got used to shift lights racing motorcycles, so if you’re worried about always shifting at a set RPM you can set this device up to flash at that point.

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The analogue speedo should have been a tach from the beginning....one of the biggest things that bothers me about the Bronco.
I totally agree with this. I NEVER use the analog speedo. Wasted space. Should've just extended the screen or used the space for the tach or something. You end up needing to use the digital gauge constantly anyways when you have ACC, so thats where your eyes naturally go.
Sponsored