John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
WHAT

The prices for these parts are exactly 4x what I would have estimated. $1,600 PER HEADLIGHT? On a...Ford...RANGER? I would have guessed $800 for a pair of headlights and $500 for a pair of taillights. $1,600 for one headlight has me thinking state of the art tech built into an S-Class headlight

These numbers just dont make sense. Especially when you think about the cost of ranger vs the cost of replacement parts in a collision. A 2021 ranger in 5 years after depreciation, sustaining some front end damage could easily be flagged as totalled, if $3,200 for a set of headlight is a sign of what other parts could cost. Just the headlight parts alone would be 15%+ of the future value of the vehicle.
Cars get totaled now for having a fender bender and messing up the bumper. There are so many sensors in them now, they are ridiculous to replace. small fender bender on a late model car will cost $4k-$5k to fix. bumpers have to be replaced because they cannot be repaired and they come with all the sensors in them.
I am an Insurance agent. We see it all the time.
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Surely AlphaRex and others will provide some good solutions for those looking for a simple upgrade from the base lighting. Still pricey, but a bit more reasonable.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And we all wonder why our automotive insurance is so expensive these days. :(

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Big Bend with standard lights here. I love the standard headlights, prefer the LED signature tail lights.. but given what the Bronco is, I anticipate there will be PLENTY of aftermarket tail light options to choose from if I really want to "upgrade" to something different.... and frankly prefer the idea of making my Build "Unique to me." As pretty as Ford's LED tail lights are, someone will offer something as good or better for much less!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My original post was made some time ago when there was still speculation what was possible as there had been a half-dozen new threads about swapping the lights across.
That one's on me for missing the dateline and focusing on the tech content instead.

Thanks for posting the pinout and parts diagram. Frankly i'm too old and care about other things than digging that deep for info to give others that level of detail.
...thanks, I think? I was just looking to add to the conversation with potentially relevant information - even though, like you, I don't have any interest in pursuing the idea further.

My personal hunch is that Ford will be consistent with history (both theirs, and other OEM's) and make a hardware swap to upgraded content difficult at best.
Nothing I posted contradicts that opinion, which I happen to share.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BearPatrol

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seeing the cost of one is enough to make me glad I've got the Base lights. I'd hate to have to replace one & with my luck, something usually comes up where I do.

96ExplorerSport

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You had me til the “I’ll choose to to pay $15,000 less than i intended “
OB has a lot more than just sig.
Of course, understood. I am seriously torn between the fully-loaded LUX mall crawler (I want the b&o and "additional sound deadening, love the look of the Roast cloth) and the rugged simplicity of the base. Truthfully, seeing them in person really tipped the scale toward base for me.

Ford Bronco Analysis: swap headlights and tail lights from Base to Signature, possible process? 20210423_140120

Ford Bronco Analysis: swap headlights and tail lights from Base to Signature, possible process? 20210423_135108

Last edited:

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the standard rear lights have BLIS - so where is the sensor ? BLIS is blindspot monitoring, correct, and isn't that part of the mid package ?
No idea about the sensors locations. But the BD has Mid available and standard rear taillights and no upgrade option.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think comparing the Bronco situation to the Ranger is somewhat misleading. On the Ranger XLT and above got LED tail lamps with BLIS or most XLT's did. Only Lariats got LED headlights. All Bronco's come with LED headlights correct? It's just the HALO type ring that makes the signature unique and the LED tail lamps. I didn't get signature lighting because I figured it would be too cliche and I wanted something different. I would like LED tail lights, but it's easier to add LED bulbs to the back than it is to the front since LED bulbs usually don't hold the proper beam in a halogen headlight housing. I wouldn't think it would matter so much in the tail light housing. I think???

Sponsored

GreyBronco

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element. 2 Civics and a Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As we now have an excellent set of pictures of the harness and lamps from the Stig, I wanted to post a little info on the process as found by folks on the Ranger forums with their conversion. This is the closest information we have to what Bronco will require at this time.

Overall parts cost will be approximately $5,200 assuming you can re-use all wiring, hardware and your time is worth nothing.

Source photos for lamps from Stig:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/đź“·-factory-broncos-modular-black-top-headlight-assembly-tail-light-assembly-puddle-lights.12190/

Head light swap for Ranger:
  • This is a straight plug & play swap, no wiring required!
  • MSRP for each headlight is $1,600 (assuming no core swap)
  • Please note that for Ranger the grills are identical between signature and base lamps. I do not know if there are grill differences for Bronco, I'm assuming not as they heavily advertised that there would be many grills to choose from and they are single-piece replacements.
Tail light swap for Ranger:
  • Price for Ranger is $975 eachfor BLIS equipped tail lights. This includes the BLIS sensor and controller, so expect Bronco part to be cheaper individually, but about the same price overall.
  • First you must understand that the Signature (LED) tail lights for Ranger & Bronco contain the BLIS sensors. You will NOT gain BLIS simply by adding Signature tail lights with the sensors. It is also not known if they will function properly as tail lights.
    • You will have dashboard warning lights if you convert from signature to base tail lights.
    • On Ranger, the canon plug for tail lights between base and Signature lights is completely different, so you must require heavily from the ECU back.
    • It appears the BLIS controller for Bronco is mounted below the taillight and operates on it's own canon plug, there will be less, but not unsubstantial wiring from the ECU to the BLIS control box.
  • BLIS must also be enabled with FORSCAN, even if you have the lamps, BLIS control box, sensors and wired everything in, it won't work without FORSCAN
    • FORSCAN can be had for less than $300, depending on what you buy and what hardware you need to connect it.
  • There is currently nobody who has successfully swapped from base to Signature tail lights on Ranger. Personally I do not anticipate anybody doing so for Bronco either as parts are prohibitively expensive and tail lights often take a beating in certain types of off road driving.
  • Ford Bronco Analysis: swap headlights and tail lights from Base to Signature, possible process? 20210423_135108
  • Price for NON-BLIS tail lights are $275 each.
Thank you for the time it took to put this together

ORACLE Lighting

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ORACLE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm sure companies like Morimoto and JW Speaker will have aftermarket solutions that won't be as pricey. And will be plug n play.
I can confirm that our development team has already begun work on aftermarket LED lighting options for the 2021 Bronco. Our Oculus™ LED headlights use a very high-quality Bi-LED illumination source which outperforms most factory "Premium" LED Headlight options.

Ford Bronco Analysis: swap headlights and tail lights from Base to Signature, possible process? Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 1.35.09 PM

For comparison the Jeep Wrangler JL version of these lights retails for $595 and are currently the most popular aftermarket LED Headlight Option for the Wrangler and have a very high customer approval from not only base model owners but LED "Premium" lighting owners who converted to this aftermarket option from ORACLE Lighting.

Last edited:

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can confirm that our development team has already begun work on aftermarket LED lighting options for the 2021 Bronco. Our Oculus™ LED headlights use a very high-quality Bi-LED illumination source which outperforms most factory "Premium" LED Headlight options.

Ford Bronco Analysis: swap headlights and tail lights from Base to Signature, possible process? Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 1.35.09 PM

For comparison the Jeep Wrangler JL version of these lights retails for $595 and are currently the most popular aftermarket LED Headlight Option for the Wrangler and have a very high customer approval from not only base model owners but LED "Premium" lighting owners who converted to this aftermarket option from ORACLE Lighting.
Any plans for rear? Hoping to see LED black out rears...

ORACLE Lighting

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ORACLE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any plans for rear? Hoping to see LED black out rears...
Yes, we will have options for the tail lights in development as well. Will post up the renderings once we get the green light to do so.
Sponsored