First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will search for the thread on the Apple app. Maybe the person who worked on it has some of the JSON data that is needed. Feel free to chime in if you know...

Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh AppCapture.JPG

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach-E, Premium RWD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will search for the thread on the Apple app. Maybe the person who worked on it has some of the JSON data that is needed. Feel free to chime in if you know...

Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh AppCapture.JPG
Apparently I'm just about bored.

I'm working on something today that I'd like to finish before the next release, but in that release I'll include code to recognize Bronco VINs. The app will treat your vehicle as an F-150, but basically it's to find out what does and doesn't work. @tonesto7 has forwarded JSON he's collected, so other than one issue I'm working on for the F-150 we might have everything we need.

These are the two main hurdles, which I also posted in the F-150 forum:
  1. Graphics. There are many variants of the Bronco, and so far I've not located any free images. I need help locating free images for the variants, or donations to purchase CAD drawings to use (donations paid for two of the four images F-150 images).
  2. Testing. There's only so much I can do without access to a vehicle myself to test new features. The easiest thing (for me) would be for some users to voluntarily let me sync my FordPass with their vehicle. This would just give me access to info on the vehicle, not access to anyone's Ford account. The alternative is for some tech-savvy users to capture JSON output and forward to me so I can use as test data.

bbacon05

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm very interested in getting this android widget up and running and would gladly donate to buy the CAD images. I actually was searching yesterday and none of the images I found were free. I would also be cool with helping you with testing, let me know

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm working on something today that I'd like to finish before the next release, but in that release I'll include code to recognize Bronco VINs. The app will treat your vehicle as an F-150, but basically it's to find out what does and doesn't work. @tonesto7 has forwarded JSON he's collected, so other than one issue I'm working on for the F-150 we might have everything we need.

1. Graphics. There are many variants of the Bronco, and so far I've not located any free images. I need help locating free images for the variants, or donations to purchase CAD drawings to use (donations paid for two of the four images F-150 images).
  2. Testing. There's only so much I can do without access to a vehicle myself to test new features. The easiest thing (for me) would be for some users to voluntarily let me sync my FordPass with their vehicle. This would just give me access to info on the vehicle, not access to anyone's Ford account. The alternative is for some tech-savvy users to capture JSON output and forward to me so I can use as test data.
I'm an iPhone user, but it appears that @tonesto7 is pulling the image for the Bronco directly from the FordPass app. Perhaps you can utilize the same method so you don't have to purchase any images.

FordPass app:
Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh BB1B7C98-EFA0-4189-B711-839BE4C82E36

@tonesto7's Widget
Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh 91F64719-FF2E-4277-9CC0-EB72DF7109AE

Sponsored
OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I am willing to donate as well.

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm an iPhone user, but it appears that @tonesto7 is pulling the image for the Bronco directly from the FordPass app. Perhaps you can utilize the same method so you don't have to purchase any images.
Sorry, I should have included some images to show what the Android widget looks like:

Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh appwidget_sample_f150

The status of the hood, tailgate, and doors are depicted on the image, hence the need for different images.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, I should have included some images to show what the Android widget looks like:

Ford Bronco Android widget - Update: Up and running.  Thanks! Kennelh appwidget_sample_f150

The status of the hood, tailgate, and doors are depicted on the image, hence the need for different images.
Ahhh, gotcha. Very cool visualization!

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Version 2022.03.03 uploaded to GitHub. I'm reposting my original post from the Mach-E forums below as it includes some explanations. This is a very beta version, so unless something is completely not working (i.e, it keeps stopping or crashes) don't be surprised. It would also probably be worth reading through the thread on the Mach-E forums if you're not sure about how something should work.

I had enough funds from donations to purchase one drawing, but I've got more work to do on it before it's ready (so you won't see open doors/hood/tailgate indicate right if at all). Donations only only used for this project; any surplus I may end up with will be donated to charity.

-----------------------

At this time I don't want to hassle with putting the app on Google Play, so you need to be comfortable sideloading the APK on your phone. That means you need to trust that nothing nefarious is happening in it. For more explanation why, read here.

Two other stipulations:
  1. I'm open to suggestions for improvements, but since this just something to do in my spare time please don't expect any requests to be implemented immediately, if at all (for example, right now I have no interest in Ford vehicles other than my Mach-E). If anyone wants to actively join in on development, I'd be more than happy to give access to the project.
  2. My phone is a Pixel 5 running Android 12, so it's only being extensively tested there. I've created virtual devices running Android 10 and 11 for additional testing, but nothing earlier than that, so if you're using an older version of Android there are no guarantees.
If you have feature requests, just go over to the GitHub page, click on "Issues", add your request, and add put "Feature request" in your title.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I sure wish I had my truck....

Sponsored
OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Version 2022.03.03 uploaded to GitHub. I'm reposting my original post from the Mach-E forums below as it includes some explanations. This is a very beta version, so unless something is completely not working (i.e, it keeps stopping or crashes) don't be surprised. It would also probably be worth reading through the thread on the Mach-E forums if you're not sure about how something should work.

I had enough funds from donations to purchase one drawing, but I've got more work to do on it before it's ready (so you won't see open doors/hood/tailgate indicate right if at all). Donations only only used for this project; any surplus I may end up with will be donated to charity.

-----------------------

At this time I don't want to hassle with putting the app on Google Play, so you need to be comfortable sideloading the APK on your phone. That means you need to trust that nothing nefarious is happening in it. For more explanation why, read here.

Two other stipulations:
  1. I'm open to suggestions for improvements, but since this just something to do in my spare time please don't expect any requests to be implemented immediately, if at all (for example, right now I have no interest in Ford vehicles other than my Mach-E). If anyone wants to actively join in on development, I'd be more than happy to give access to the project.
  2. My phone is a Pixel 5 running Android 12, so it's only being extensively tested there. I've created virtual devices running Android 10 and 11 for additional testing, but nothing earlier than that, so if you're using an older version of Android there are no guarantees.
If you have feature requests, just go over to the GitHub page, click on "Issues", add your request, and add put "Feature request" in your title.
Thank you very much until I get a change to get a contribution to you!

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I decided to do an unofficial version release for Bronco owner to try out. This version has the cleaned-up version of the vehicle view, which should reflect the status of door/hood/tailgate, and also label the widget and icon as the "Bronco" app. Note whenever you look to put the widget on the desktop, it's still labeled as "Mach-E Info"; I don't really know an easy way to handle that.

One issue which is still open with regards to F-150 owners, and so I assume will also be open here, is that the distance to empty and fuel tank percentages don't seem to be correct most of the time. One theory is that it is only correct when the vehicle is on, and reports junk when it's off. I'd appreciate help in determining if that's right or wrong via the collection of log output. Thanks.

Edit: I should have added these changes will be pushed out with the next official release, but U would like some debugging feedback in case something obvious isn't working.

Last edited:

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Version 2022.03.09 just uploaded. This is the first version that "officially" supports Broncos.

Unfortunately you will need to uninstall the current version before installing this one; I had a fight with Android Studio about signing keys and lost. Sorry. This motivated me to write one of the new main additions below (see if you can guess which one).

The three main additions to this version are:
  1. On Android 10 and later, you can now save and restore user settings. It will create a ZIP file in your Download folder to reuse later if necessary.
  2. If you are using stored credentials, you can now reuse these in the Log-in view. It requires you to authenticate with your fingerprint before proceeding.
  3. I added code to "cache" the distance-to-empty and fuel level values when they look legitimate, and reuse them when they don't. No one has sent me any new JSON data to look at, so I have no idea if this fixes the problem or not. If not, send me JSON data.

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Version 2022.03.09 just uploaded. This is the first version that "officially" supports Broncos.

Unfortunately you will need to uninstall the current version before installing this one; I had a fight with Android Studio about signing keys and lost. Sorry. This motivated me to write one of the new main additions below (see if you can guess which one).

The three main additions to this version are:
  1. On Android 10 and later, you can now save and restore user settings. It will create a ZIP file in your Download folder to reuse later if necessary.
  2. If you are using stored credentials, you can now reuse these in the Log-in view. It requires you to authenticate with your fingerprint before proceeding.
  3. I added code to "cache" the distance-to-empty and fuel level values when they look legitimate, and reuse them when they don't. No one has sent me any new JSON data to look at, so I have no idea if this fixes the problem or not. If not, send me JSON data.
Fuel doesn't appear to be working for me. Here's the status json I got back on mine:
Sponsored

Last edited: