Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m still trying to get a handle on all this, so please forgive my non technical brain.
If someone were to replace the tires on a black Diamond with a 255/80 size tire, it seems like it would fit, and raise the stance a little bit. I guess I have two questions. First, how does this narrower size affect handling, on and off-road?
Secondly, it seems like a wheel with less negative offset would keep a better balanced stance, is that correct? Would that open up more wheel options?

F4BCD2E3-DB76-4EA8-A1E1-A60FE7FCA09D.png
Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think those would handle fine on the road, narrower tread I think gives the truck slightly less stability (pretty marginal in the tire you chose) Narrower tires are better at digging into the snow to get down to the ground for better traction. Wider tires are better in the sand/deep mud. I prefer the narrower tire myself for snow here in the Northeast and I like the look better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel Bronc

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think those would handle fine on the road, narrower tread I think gives the truck slightly less stability (pretty marginal in the tire you chose) Narrower tires are better at digging into the snow to get down to the ground for better traction. Wider tires are better in the sand/deep mud. I prefer the narrower tire myself mostly for the look.
Great to know! Snow is definitely more of an issue for me vs. sand and mud.

Does less negative offset push the tire further away, giving it more stability?

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great to know! Snow is definitely more of an issue for me vs. sand and mud.

Does less negative offset push the tire further away, giving it more stability?
You got that backwards.
Negative offset is what you see on most modern cars and trucks.
The lug nuts are almost flush with the outer edge of the rim.

Neutral to positive offset is what you see on older lder vehicles and muscle cars.
The deep dish look.

Negative offset minimizes bump steer and straight line tracking.
Positive offset will give more responsive handling in corners.

You will be happier with factory offset on narrow tires, if winter driving is more important than swamps, high speed dirt or rock crawling.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rebel Bronc

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You got that backwards.
Negative offset is what you see on most modern cars and trucks.
The lug nuts are almost flush with the outer edge of the rim.
Ok. I was just worried that a narrower tire would be pulled in tighter to the centerline of the vehicle. So with a tire .4” narrower, would I want MORE negative offset to keep the same wheel base width?

Granger is a Fuel wheel distributor. Two styles that I like are Covert and Militia.
Ford Bronco Another aftermarket tire question - Black Diamond with 255/80 size tire 73719E14-362C-42C9-9F4C-A7520CEB847F

Ford Bronco Another aftermarket tire question - Black Diamond with 255/80 size tire 99132A9B-1969-482A-916A-43EE671B9DAD

8D8B5A9C-76F7-4625-AF65-C3849B02370E.png

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok. I was just worried that a narrower tire would be pulled in tighter to the centerline of the vehicle. So with a tire .4” narrower, would I want MORE negative offset to keep the same wheel base width?

Granger is a Fuel wheel distributor. Two styles that I like are Covert and Militia.
73719E14-362C-42C9-9F4C-A7520CEB847F.png

99132A9B-1969-482A-916A-43EE671B9DAD.png

You'd want more positive offset to keep the same track width. Buy why?

A thinner tire with the same, or more negative offset will ride better on the street.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Base, BB, and OBX come standard with 255 width tires. I'm not sure what the offsets of all the stock wheels are, but I'm guessing they're all similar. You'll be fine with the 255/80r17.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

73719E14-362C-42C9-9F4C-A7520CEB847F.png

99132A9B-1969-482A-916A-43EE671B9DAD.png

I see you referencing Granger for wheels. If you're getting your Bronco and aftermarket wheels from Granger, are you thinking about getting the tires from them also? Asking because I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Check out some off-roading videos in Australia and Africa. A lot of those guys are off-roading with narrower tires. Also, checkout "Willys in Moab" too, those guys are doing crazy things with stock Willy tires in almost stock 1940-50's Willys. It will open your mind about tire widths.

The whole reason people want more offset is to get their tires away from their suspension components and fender wells.

I think a 2" lift on the BD with 35x10.50r17 tires and stock wheels will be awesome. That's what I'll be trying out if I go the BD route.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rebel Bronc

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see you referencing Granger for wheels. If you're getting your Bronco and aftermarket wheels from Granger, are you thinking about getting the tires from them also? Asking because I'm thinking of doing something similar.
I’d have to see the cost. I’ve got a tire guy that can get rubber, mount and balance for way less than anybody around. I may just get the wheels, throw them in contractor garbage bags and bring them home.

OP
OP
Rebel Bronc

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I mentioned wheels that I like, another contender emerges!

Fifteen52
Ford Bronco Another aftermarket tire question - Black Diamond with 255/80 size tire 76AA9279-CE52-46AC-9825-06419F7AFC17

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have 285/75/17 on my Jeep now and they are narrower than many Jeeps you see with similar height tires - I think the Jeep leans a bit more as a result, not as stuck to the road so to speak, but I like that. I don't drive it like a car, I drive it like a Jeep. Narrow is more old school looking at least to me.

OP
OP
Rebel Bronc

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi my name is Granger, I see all you guys coming. I want 500.00 more dollars and I sell wheels with an absurd amount of fake bolts, for those looking to "look the part" lmao!
Thank you for your contributions to this discussion. Or something.

Reactions: RG7

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi my name is Granger, I see all you guys coming. I want 500.00 more dollars and I sell wheels with an absurd amount of fake bolts, for those looking to "look the part" lmao!
You are taking unwarranted shots at Granger in multiple threads. Where did they hurt you?
Sponsored

Reactions: RG7