First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They probably would've been able to do a trail repair if they hadn't put those tie rod sleeves on. Just moves the failure point from the tie rods to a more expensive component.
I don’t see any tie rod sleeves.
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still see more broke jeep Dana 44’s than anything. Broncos are working on taking second place from Toyota’s broken unjoint for most common trail damage.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting little fact about that wrecker, it's the same length as a Jeep Gladiator.
That massive beast is the same length as a Gladiator.

They probably would've been able to do a trail repair if they hadn't put those tie rod sleeves on. Just moves the failure point from the tie rods to a more expensive component.
They didn't have tie rod sleeves on it, and the rack isn't what prevented a trail repair from being possible. Because the tie rod failed, it allowed the tire to turn beyond the limits of the CV joint, which broke the front axle housing. The tie rod acted just like a fuse and probably didn't damage the rack. The problem with a mechanical fuse is that it often causes damage to other things when it lets go, the damage isn't isolated to just the weak link. If you're at all on the power in 4WD and your tie rod snaps, that tire is going to drive itself around the a-arms until something breaks, and it'll happen in a split second. If you're going downhill and it breaks, you're kinda screwed too because then the tire will want to rotate rearward and something will break, or you release the brakes and slam into something.

Just saw your reply that there wasn't a sleeve, I must be getting slow. I'll leave what I wrote for anyone else that didn't notice it first time around. Have a good nap lol

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think this might be the second actual recovery for Matt's new wrecker
Next weekend is the Wrecker games in Sand Hollow. Wish I could be there. Rory, Paul, Matt and Eric will put on a good show I’m sure.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Interesting little fact about that wrecker, it's the same length as a Jeep Gladiator.

They didn't have tie rod sleeves on it, and the rack isn't what prevented a trail repair from being possible. Because the tie rod failed, it allowed the tire to turn beyond the limits of the CV joint, which broke the front axle housing. The tie rod acted just like a fuse and probably didn't damage the rack. The problem with a mechanical fuse is that it often causes damage to other things when it lets go, the damage isn't isolated to just the weak link. If you're at all on the power in 4WD and your tie rod snaps, that tire is going to drive itself around the a-arms until something breaks, and it'll happen in a split second. If you're going downhill and it breaks, you're kinda screwed too because then the tire will want to rotate rearward and something will break, or you release the brakes and slam into something.

Just saw your reply that there wasn't a sleeve, I must be getting slow. I'll leave what I wrote for anyone else that didn't notice it first time around. Have a good nap lol
Funny I was just watching that wrecker yesterday on youtoob....when it grenades the transfercase....it wasn't even towing at the time. Musta upgraded.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember a thread quite awhile ago with a bunch of the ‘new to wheeling’ crowd asking why in the world would anybody need Dana 60’s, I think this should answer that question. If you’re going to ‘wheel this kind of terrain or big rocks, you can only push OEM components so far before you have to start upgrading them, which over time can cost a small fortune, or you can scrap it all and overbuild it once with 3/4-1 ton parts and have piece of mind you’ll get home or back to your trailer at the end of the day.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its ridiculous how many tie rods-axels-steering racks i broken -its common thing on broncos -
I pass 15-20 littered all over the road every day with those parts or a combination of

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That thing is simply incredible for a home made rig ..... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the 4 wheel steering!!

BodieMonster

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be curious what percentage of the failures had 37's+ vs stock 35's at this point. Regardless, I wish Ford would make the HOSS 3.0 rack upgrade a bit more seamless. I know folks have done it but it feels like it could be a lot easier with some support from Ford for the reprogramming of the rack.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would be curious what percentage of the failures had 37's+ vs stock 35's at this point. Regardless, I wish Ford would make the HOSS 3.0 rack upgrade a bit more seamless. I know folks have done it but it feels like it could be a lot easier with some support from Ford for the reprogramming of the rack.

It would also be nice if the aftermarket was quick to provide new racks/tie rods as well with easy to update computer solutions. A few in the works I think.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Funny I was just watching that wrecker yesterday on youtoob....when it grenades the transfercase....it wasn't even towing at the time. Musta upgraded.
They originally had a prototype case with a doubler in front, some company is making them as an alternative to the Atlas and he got one of the first. It had problems staying in 4WD so they swapped in a stock NP205. That's a pretty tough case, but that's a lot of gearing and big tires even for a 205, I was expecting them to snap an output shaft the first time they gave it the beans and it did. Fortunately, there are several replacement shafts for them that are bulletproof, and I believe he's already done the upgrade.

That thing is simply incredible for a home made rig ..... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the 4 wheel steering!!
Check out their build vids, that thing probably has 800HP in winches alone LOL
Sponsored