Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys,

This is my install process for the Midland MXT275. I went with the 275 over the 575 for a couple reasons:
  1. Price - There's just too much gear to buy and not enough cash to go around
  2. Power - I don't need it for my application. I've run 5W handheld units with crappy antennas inside my vehicle for years with no problems.
  3. Heat - I was concerned about heat build up with my planned install location.
Hat tip to @Bo-Ronco and @SPITmadFIRE for their tutorials:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/super-clean-gmrs-radio-install.42659/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-interior-fuse-box-with-add-a-fuse-tap.32486/

I'm going to focus on where I deviated from their installs, or where I ran into problems. I knew I wanted to tap into "switched" (ignition position 1) power so that I wouldn't drain my battery if I forgot to power off my radio, ESPECIALLY if I forgot to power it off before disconnecting my mic. For those wondering the 275 draws 3 Watts when on but not transmitting. I also knew that I didn't want to tie up an Aux switch (only 1 in use currently, but plans for all 6). So that led me to @SPITmadFIRE's write up of tapping into the in-cabin fusebox.

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2704

I decided to use slot 35 instead of slot 2 since it was listed as a spare. I tested the port with a volt meter to confirm the tap-a-fuse was in the correct orientation, that the port had power, and that power was turned on with a single push of the ignition and cut off when you turn off the vehicle. Note the MXT 275 wiring ships with a 5A fuse. I didn't use their wiring or fuses, but mimicked the 5A fuse in my install.

For the antenna I went with the upgraded Midland Ghost antenna over the basic antenna. Again, I didn't feel like I needed the extra gain of the 6dB antenna, the Ghost is cheaper, and looks better than the basic antenna and 6dB antenna. (Had the basic antenna been "mountable" I'd probably have just rolled with it)

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2732

I mounted it on the driver's side @JcrOffroad Cowl bracket.

Once, the antenna and power were run, it was time to tackle the center console removal. I'll give another internet high five to @Bo-Ronco for not only finding this location but for apparantly getting the center console in a position to work in the area without removing the shifter handle. I'm not sure what kind of wizardry he possess to do this, but after 60 seconds of trying to manipulate the console around to put it in a workable area, I gave up and removed the handle.

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2712 (1)

If you want to do this yourself during your install there is one small harness to disconnect in the front of the handle, and then two small philips screws in the back (towards the engine bay).

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2721
Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2722

One other note, I actually did use a panel popper to get the center console pull up started. I inserted between the armrest and cup holders.

With that out of the way, the install went pretty similar to @Bo-Ronco. I drilled out the center hole in the midland bracket and placed the radio in the same location as him. I used the same ethernet panel mount extender etc.

Finished product:

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2716

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2725

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2714

Ford Bronco Another GMRS radio install post?  Sure! IMG_2724

I knew I wanted a magnetic mounting solution, and the 67 Designs magmount G3 works great for this. I was worried that it wouldn't be strong enough to hold the heavy handset, but it's fine. I've got it attached to the 67 Designs bronco rail, but this is only temporary until Archtype Racing get's their act together and ships me my "D". Once that arrives I'll be relocating the G3 magmount to the D and my install will finally be complete!
Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice!

We must have cleaned out the JCR Offroad brackets, been waiting a month, nothing. Any other options for an antenna mount before I cancel my order?

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice!

We must have cleaned out the JCR Offroad brackets, been waiting a month, nothing. Any other options for an antenna mount before I cancel my order?
I ordered my JCR bracket prior to receiving my bronco and it took about a month to come in.

If you buy the midland kit, it comes with a hood mount for your antenna. Brad from trail recon uses a different hood mount for his antenna:

There are also other companies that make a similar bracket to JCR:
https://www.texascompletebronco.com/products/bronco-cowl-light-mounts

Edited to add:
Midland also makes a ditch light extension bracket that would probably work bolting it directly to the cowl accessory points.
https://midlandusa.com/products/micromobile-mxta22-ditch-light-extension-bracket

Last edited:

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once, the antenna and power were run, it was time to tackle the center console removal. I'll give another internet high five to @Bo-Ronco for not only finding this location but for apparantly getting the center console in a position to work in the area without removing the shifter handle. I'm not sure what kind of wizardry he possess to do this, but after 60 seconds of trying to manipulate the console around to put it in a workable area, I gave up and removed the handle.
Shoulda messaged me brother! It was easy! Put the shifter in Neutral, pop the boot up, pop the top cover up, rotate 90 degrees and voila!

Install looks great man! How'd you do cutting the square hole?

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice!

Ah crud. I just ordered the brackets on Wed... ugh

Sponsored

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice!

I actually canceled my order today. I got sick of not having my antenna installed and took a flyer on these on Amazon. $38 delivered next day and I actually like them better I think.

CHETO A-Pillar Light Mounting Brackets Fit for 2021 2022 Bronco 2/4 Door, A-Pillar Lower Windshield Hinge Mounting Brackets for LED Working Pod Light Bar Mounts (2PCS) https://a.co/d/bHSXwhG

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does that antenna mount with an NMO? The hole doesn't look big enough for one. Did you have to widen it?
It fit perfectly with the MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable Connector. No widening is needed.

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shoulda messaged me brother! It was easy! Put the shifter in Neutral, pop the boot up, pop the top cover up, rotate 90 degrees and voila!

Install looks great man! How'd you do cutting the square hole?
After I had the harness disconnected and had the first screw out, I literally thought to myself, "I bet Bo-Ronco just threw it in neutral". 🤣

At that point though it was easier for me to just remove the second screw than figure out how to get it out of park. The one advantage of doing it this way is you don't have to disconnect the USB harness or the goat mode dial harness...but yeah, I don't think I'd do it this way again.🤣

For the hole, I drilled larger and larger pilot holes until I got it up to about a 1/2 inch. At that point I used a dremel to shape it up into a square. I hop this thing never needs to come out because I didn't leave enough tolerance to be able to remove it.

Sponsored

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After I had the harness disconnected and had the first screw out, I literally thought to myself, "I bet Bo-Ronco just threw it in neutral". 🤣

At that point though it was easier for me to just remove the second screw than figure out how to get it out of park. The one advantage of doing it this way is you don't have to disconnect the USB harness or the goat mode dial harness...but yeah, I don't think I'd do it this way again.🤣
Hey, you got it done, it works and it looks killer! Nothing else matters!

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, you got it done, it works and it looks killer! Nothing else matters!
It does look killer, super clean. Great work finding the mounting spot, and that panel connector. Thanks again.

JetMech

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Badlands Sasquatch (2), Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice!

Here is the homemade mount I used for my MXT275 ghost antenna.

Antenna.jpg

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

QQ. Does the radio work only when an ignition on with the engine or just by pressing a button once?

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

QQ. Does the radio work only when an ignition on with the engine or just by pressing a button once?
From the original post:
I decided to use slot 35 instead of slot 2 since it was listed as a spare. I tested the port with a volt meter to confirm the tap-a-fuse was in the correct orientation, that the port had power, and that power was turned on with a single push of the ignition and cut off when you turn off the vehicle. Note the MXT 275 wiring ships with a 5A fuse. I didn't use their wiring or fuses, but mimicked the 5A fuse in my install.
Sponsored