Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went to the Moab Off Roadeo this weekend (10/2) and it was awesome. I'm from Texas and I'm sure the Austin one is fun and definitely go to whichever one you are able but I don't see how it could compare. I got last minute spousal clearance to leave her with the kids and go out to Moab with a friend. Cheapest flights were into SLC it's a 4 hour drive to Moab. Don't stop for food anywhere after you leave Provo, it's not worth it. The Red Cliffs lodge is about 20 minutes outside of Moab proper and looks very nice. Rooms are $400+ /night with the Off Roadeo rate. We stayed at the OK RV Park which had "hunters cabins" for $79/night. It was a tiny shed with 2 beds crammed in it and you use the communal showers/bathrooms. Very rustic and a great value, 100% recommend.

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 1633467467586

We were on the trail from 9 AM to 6 PM and probably covered 20 - 30 miles of trail, plus 10 miles on the highway to get to the trail head. I'm real glad I got to use their Bronco because I would be too terrified to do the things we did in my own Bronco. I've driven a lot on very washed out roads but never any rock crawling like this. I used to have a 99 Tacoma with the TRD Offroad package but no modifications and never did anything crazy with it. Maybe it could have done these things but it would have been digging the rear bumper into the ground in places. My point is the Bronco seemed to do pretty well by me but I'm sure people who have been modding jeeps for 20 years will have some complaints about how it handles but I was real impressed. I think it'd be pretty cool if they had one stock Rubicon out there for comparison.

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 1633467675140

Our group was 16 owners plus guests (I don't think anyone was there by themselves, one person had her 2 kids with her). There was also another ~12 Broncos lined up for a later group. Of the 16 owners I met there was only one other guy besides me who had received their Bronco already. My windshield had just cracked a couple days ago so I asked him if his was alright. His cracked on the way home from the dealership. Small but very ominous sample size on windshields right there.

We hit the trails in two groups of 8.

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 1633467664485

They had a good mix of Broncos to choose from: All bases covered except First Edition: Badlands, Outerbanks, Wildtrak, Black Diamonds and Big Bend. We had at least one of each in our group of 8. I saw a Basequatch out there but in the other group. Across all groups it was probably 2/3 Badlands and Outerbanks. All Broncos were 4door, V6, Sasquatch, tires aired down to 29 ("the lowest Ford would let us go"). So all had a front/rear lockers, and the two Badlands also had the sway bar disconnect. One had a windshield chip another had a very badly cracked windshield. I went in feeling buyer's regret for trying to save money and only get a Black Diamond (manual so no sasquatch and therefor rear locker only) but we did some crazy stuff I would not think you can go up/down in a vehicle and everyone made it up and I did it without the front locker. I'm sure front locker helps but if you can do that stuff without it then nothing I'll do with mine will need it. I don't have many good pictures of the big obstacles that we climbed, but think waist high shelfs. One of the guides posted a video of me going up one of the easier hills

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 1633467774583

We tried the trail cruise control, where you set the speed and just let it crawl. It was impressive and made some of the climbs smoother than I could have done, but overall not necessary. Also tried the one pedal trail descend (where it applies the brakes until you press on the gas) and I would never use it. It didn't feel right and changed the pedal so it felt like you had to press in twice as much to get it to creep forward. The only feature that I found myself wishing for was the front trail camera, especially when cresting a hill you really can't see anything. Only one in our group had it and the driver said it was very useful. Also I found on the highway portion the 2.7L only had a tiny bit more giddyup than my 2.3L Manual, but I'm not a lead foot so maybe people that really like thrashing their cars and riding peoples bumpers can tell that there's more power, but the 2.3L is more than enough for drivers that keep their blood pressure down.

The only thing that kind of bummed me out was when I got back to Texas and decided I was going to get into this rock crawling lifestyle. I look at the trails on alltrails.com and around Moab and Utah there are thousands of miles of trails all types of difficulty levels and it's just free to go crawl around. Then I look around Dallas and you can drive 2 hours and pay to go to an off road park with 10 miles of trails. So when I want to take my family out to Moab I'll probably just fly out there and end up renting a Jeep. Then I won't have an excuse to lift up my Bronco and put some 35's on it.

Bottom line: go to the Off Roadeo if you can.
Sponsored

Shark1247

Badlands
First Name
Kelly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to the Moab Off Roadeo this weekend (10/2) and it was awesome. I'm from Texas and I'm sure the Austin one is fun and definitely go to whichever one you are able but I don't see how it could compare. I got last minute spousal clearance to leave her with the kids and go out to Moab with a friend. Cheapest flights were into SLC it's a 4 hour drive to Moab. Don't stop for food anywhere after you leave Provo, it's not worth it. The Red Cliffs lodge is about 20 minutes outside of Moab proper and looks very nice. Rooms are $400+ /night with the Off Roadeo rate. We stayed at the OK RV Park which had "hunters cabins" for $79/night. It was a tiny shed with 2 beds crammed in it and you use the communal showers/bathrooms. Very rustic and a great value, 100% recommend.

We were on the trail from 9 AM to 6 PM and probably covered 20 - 30 miles of trail, plus 10 miles on the highway to get to the trail head. I'm real glad I got to use their Bronco because I would be too terrified to do the things we did in my own Bronco. I've driven a lot on very washed out roads but never any rock crawling like this. I used to have a 99 Tacoma with the TRD Offroad package but no modifications and never did anything crazy with it. Maybe it could have done these things but it would have been digging the rear bumper into the ground in places. My point is the Bronco seemed to do pretty well by me but I'm sure people who have been modding jeeps for 20 years will have some complaints about how it handles but I was real impressed. I think it'd be pretty cool if they had one stock Rubicon out there for comparison.

Our group was 16 owners plus guests (I don't think anyone was there by themselves, one person had her 2 kids with her). There was also another ~12 Broncos lined up for a later group. Of the 16 owners I met there was only one other guy besides me who had received their Bronco already. My windshield had just cracked a couple days ago so I asked him if his was alright. His cracked on the way home from the dealership. Small but very ominous sample size on windshields right there.

We hit the trails in two groups of 8.

They had a good mix of Broncos to choose from: All bases covered except First Edition: Badlands, Outerbanks, Wildtrak, Black Diamonds and Big Bend. We had at least one of each in our group of 8. I saw a Basequatch out there but in the other group. Across all groups it was probably 2/3 Badlands and Outerbanks. All Broncos were 4door, V6, Sasquatch, tires aired down to 29 ("the lowest Ford would let us go"). So all had a front/rear lockers, and the two Badlands also had the sway bar disconnect. One had a windshield chip another had a very badly cracked windshield. I went in feeling buyer's regret for trying to save money and only get a Black Diamond (manual so no sasquatch and therefor rear locker only) but we did some crazy stuff I would not think you can go up/down in a vehicle and everyone made it up and I did it without the front locker. I'm sure front locker helps but if you can do that stuff without it then nothing I'll do with mine will need it. I don't have many good pictures of the big obstacles that we climbed, but think waist high shelfs. One of the guides posted a video of me going up one of the easier hills

We tried the trail cruise control, where you set the speed and just let it crawl. It was impressive and made some of the climbs smoother than I could have done, but overall not necessary. Also tried the one pedal trail descend (where it applies the brakes until you press on the gas) and I would never use it. It didn't feel right and changed the pedal so it felt like you had to press in twice as much to get it to creep forward. The only feature that I found myself wishing for was the front trail camera, especially when cresting a hill you really can't see anything. Only one in our group had it and the driver said it was very useful. Also I found on the highway portion the 2.7L only had a tiny bit more giddyup than my 2.3L Manual, but I'm not a lead foot so maybe people that really like thrashing their cars and riding peoples bumpers can tell that there's more power, but the 2.3L is more than enough for drivers that keep their blood pressure down.

The only thing that kind of bummed me out was when I got back to Texas and decided I was going to get into this rock crawling lifestyle. I look at the trails on alltrails.com and around Moab and Utah there are thousands of miles of trails all types of difficulty levels and it's just free to go crawl around. Then I look around Dallas and you can drive 2 hours and pay to go to an off road park with 10 miles of trails. So when I want to take my family out to Moab I'll probably just fly out there and end up renting a Jeep. Then I won't have an excuse to lift up my Bronco and put some 35's on it.

Bottom line: go to the Off Roadeo if you can.
Made the same trip on the 24th. Had a great time. Worth the trip.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't stop for food anywhere after you leave Provo, it's not worth it.
Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great time. I'll be out there in the spring and I can't wait!

BTW, there's a great Mexican joint in Payson (south of Provo) that has the best smothered burritos I've ever had.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the review. I did Moab too and I’m still amazed how many miles you get to hit in the Bronco. It is a thorough test.

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thx for the write up. Really looking forward to Moab!

Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just returned from the Moab Off Rodeo this past weekend, Oct 09. We also did about 60 miles total, 30 miles on-trail, and 30 miles to/from trailhead. It was absolutely AWESOME, and worth every penny of the relatively expensive experience. I had my spouse with me and we stayed at the lodge.

Kelly, our trail guide - is super good and super fun. A wonderful person and he worked his butt off to ensure we were able to get the most out of the day. I can only highly recommend this to any person that will or has already received (you lucky duck!) a new Bronco.

I agree with the other posting, we did some crazy stuff and I am just floored what the Bronco can do. Just point it where you want to go, select the right GOAT/drive mode, maybe a locker or two and BAM - you are through it.

A great location to do this, probably the best, because the terrain is just so fitting to show off the Bronco capabilities.

Everyone, this is worth it all the way. We had a blast and our confidence in the vehicle and ourselves went up 10-fold.

Here a pic to spice up the posting.
Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 20211009_104429
Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 20211009_114137
Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 20211009_130737
Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 20211009_144805
Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 20211009_184034

azm

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Any 2 doors out there?

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went in feeling buyer's regret for trying to save money and only get a Black Diamond (manual so no sasquatch and therefor rear locker only) but we did some crazy stuff I would not think you can go up/down in a vehicle and everyone made it up and I did it without the front locker. I'm sure front locker helps but if you can do that stuff without it then nothing I'll do with mine will need it.
Question. You said all of them did the crazy stuff, but you also said that all the Broncos in the ride had Sasquatch, so are you wishing you had Sasquatch? Do you think the BD with the steelies (my current preference) would be able to conquer that stuff too?

Last edited:

azm

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
there was only one 2-door as display unit.....................sorry!
Would’ve been nice, but still excited to get out there. Going next week.

Got to drive a 2 door at the Fort McDowell AZ off-road event last week. Now I can compare.

Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Question. You said all of them did the crazy stuff, but you also said that all the Broncos in the ride had Sasquatch, so are you wishing you had Sasquatch? Do you think the BD with the steelies (my current preference) would be able to conquer that stuff too?
Absolutely fine with BD and rear locker. I only used the front locker one time and that was to try it out, not because i needed to. The sway bar disconnect is awesome, but also icing on the cake.
I have a BD 2.7 mid AT MIC with only rear locker and TTA, will upgrade wheels to 285/70/17 on Method rims. This setup can do 90% of what we did at the offrodeo.

LabradorGuy

First Edition
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Free Company Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I took my wife on 10/1…and she drove about half the off road loop. She said she never understood off roading and how it could possibly be fun. With that said, she had a blast…and now wants a Bronco. Without Brian (our guide) I wouldn’t have attempted some of the stuff we did. The Bronco is beyond capable!

We flew into Grand Junction, CO (90 min drive away). We stayed one night and Red Cliff. Their breakfast is dynamite!

This was her in a Wildtrak….

Second photo…view from Res Cliff

Third photo - Delicate Arch at sundown…Awesome!

4th photo - Delicate Arch at night. My crappy photo does not do the Milky Way justice!!!!

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 237DF637-A510-4C3B-83A5-F97DB525EAE8

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended C269763A-C4CA-41C9-95BB-82B914D378E5

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 77BAF89C-7CA4-4DD6-83A4-D913D8B8676E

Ford Bronco Another Moab Review - strongly recommended 68211BC3-790E-4CD5-B921-6C2897ADBC9D

Last edited:

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's an impressive picture. My wife would have been freaking out.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Absolutely fine with BD and rear locker. I only used the front locker one time and that was to try it out, not because i needed to. The sway bar disconnect is awesome, but also icing on the cake.
I have a BD 2.7 mid AT MIC with only rear locker and TTA, will upgrade wheels to 285/70/17 on Method rims. This setup can do 90% of what we did at the offrodeo.
Any plans to lift yours at all?