Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
He is right. Anything that is forced induction needs premium gas.
Not always. My 2.5T KIA K5 manual says to use 87. No recommendations at all for premium.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not always. My 2.5T KIA K5 manual says to use 87. No recommendations at all for premium.
[/QUOTe
OK
You always want to use premium gas when it is forced induction. Manufacturers do not want to scare people from buying their cars by requiring premium gas. It will run on 87 but inefficiently.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
He is right. Anything that is forced induction needs premium gas.
Or a sub premium tune - otherwise, no one in California would be able to run boost on their craptastic gasoline (it really is that bad).

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been running Cobb protunes on Subarus for like 15 years and my last one made 150 wtq on E85 over stock for almost 10 years with no issues but you gotta be prepared for a new motor. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Ford, a Subbie or whatever.

with that said I will most definitely have my Mansquatch tuned if ever get one and if tuning isn’t completely outlawed by then

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am interested as well. Although, while I plan to keep this bronco until the wheels fall off - putting aside the tune, there's probably a 5x higher chance (than a typical vehicle) that I run into some other type of other issues that forces me to sell it. The odds are still slim, but nonetheless, I would probably hold off for a solid 6 months. I want to make sure the MIC top survives, etc before doing something that impacts resale, or even worse - a self inflicted issue from a tune on top of some other issues.

Sponsored

Bybotie

Badlands
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge ST, 2021 Mustang Mach1 HP, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Transmission.
I'm not sure where this started but somehow it has become "fact". This same transmission is running in Explores with 600+HP and well over 700LBTRQ. There have been a few solenoid issues but no broken parts that I'm aware of. If it can handle 11's on a prepped surface, it can handle most abuse. I would be worried if I saw input shafts breaking, we would be in trouble then.

Lexx

Big Bend
First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F450
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Forced induction does NOT always require premium. My Subaru Ascent has a turbo 4, and the recommendation is REGULAR gas. I run regular all the time and have never had an issue, nor has anyone in the Ascent forum.

For the Bronco though, if you're expecting a lot more horsepower and torque, I would say you probably should run premium. The computers will keep the engine safe but you won't get the power that you want on regular.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not sure where this started but somehow it has become "fact". This same transmission is running in Explores with 600+HP and well over 700LBTRQ. There have been a few solenoid issues but no broken parts that I'm aware of. If it can handle 11's on a prepped surface, it can handle most abuse. I would be worried if I saw input shafts breaking, we would be in trouble then.
Good to hear the news !!!!

I was just going off all the insanity around here about it. Just trying to be funny. I , personally, am not worried about it. If it breaks I will fix it no big deal to me. I have a good transmission guy that can fix it. This reminds me a lot of the tie rod catastrophe that seems to have cropped up lately.;)

😁

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford states that Ecoboost engines can run on 87 octane with no issues. My wife's 2.0L Ecoboost has been running on it no problem with almost 70K miles on it. You get an extra 10-15HP if you run higher octane, but that is really hard to feel with the butt meter.

Going back to the transmission thing-the one thing that people aren't taking into consideration is that the ECU has torque mitigation programed into it. A tuned SHO with a traverse axle could take a decent amount of Torque over the max specs of the 6F55 offered because it would pull timing out as to not beat the torque converter up with smacking it with full torque from the engine. I'm sure the 2.7L has something similar even though its going through a longitudinal style transmission.

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I emailed them and sent them a link to this post.

We need more info
It says it has 7 different maps My guess is it has a 87oct Eco, Tow, Race, Then same for the 93oct then a stock mode.

Need more dyno #s (I'm betting the #s above are 93oct Race)

I have a badlands so no Sport mode I would love to have a 87oct race/sport option this may give it to me.
The badlands has a sport mode, its the Baja Mode.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as you don’t drive it like a teenager shouldn’t have any issues. I’ve ran a jb4 for two years on a car before and never had a issue with it. Go to the f150 forums and search jb4 lots of people using that, this is basically same thing.
Why the extra tune if you don't drive it like a teenager? I thought the loud pedal was either on or off?
Sponsored