Sponsored

Antenna relocation kit for installing Roof Top Tents while keeping Sirius XM Radio?

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SO question,

is there an antenna relocation kit out there for those who want to add a roof top tent AND keep their Sirius XM radio?
Sponsored

bcool2525

Badlands
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500, 1987 F250, 1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would be interested in this as well, if I ever get my bronco (no VIN gang haha)

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Sirius signal was iffy with a roof rack platform on the factory rails. Now that I have a RTT, it's unlistenable.

Was hoping to find options here, but looks like the only option is to cancel the service.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where is the receiver for the signal? It can’t be on our tops since we can take them off and we have both softop and hardtop versions. I don’t know if this has been covered elsewhere, but is it truly satellite radio or is it using the onboard cell connection in the car (not from my phone). I tend to think it’s over cell and not satellite given how it behaves. Anyone know?

Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where is the receiver for the signal? It can’t be on our tops since we can take them off and we have both softop and hardtop versions. I don’t know if this has been covered elsewhere, but is it truly satellite radio or is it using the onboard cell connection in the car (not from my phone). I tend to think it’s over cell and not satellite given how it behaves. Anyone know?
It's on top of the roll bar in the rear. I've been hoping for a relocation system as well.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only 360L XM Sirius runs through Cellular. When I worked at GM, XM Sirius pays AT&T for the cellular use in peoples vehicles, not sure what deal Ford worked with XM Sirius, but my assumption is it's the same.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@emulous74 I was afraid of that. So if I’m out in the middle of nowhere or on a highway with no cell service, I’ll have to sing to myself or figure out a way to play my CDs from 1995. Stupid, I could have sworn it was called Sirius XM “Satellite Radio”.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I first started reading this forum I was confused. But now I think I get it. So The XM antenna on not on the front fender but on the roll bar somewhere?

I just paid for 6 months... But then again my Bronco won't fit in my garage with an RTT so I'd be only putting it on for camping trips.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Only 360L XM Sirius runs through Cellular.
How is this possible when I can be out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and still be listening to XM? Conversely, I can be in town with good cell service but drive through a parking garage and lose my XM service?

Now I don’t know any details of how Sirius and AT&T work together. Perhaps they use cellular to download album art or something. But just from observation I can tell you that you don’t need a cell signal to listen to XM radio.

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

is there an antenna relocation kit out there for those who want to add a roof top tent AND keep their Sirius XM radio?
I’ve noticed the Bronco seems to drop XM radio in spots all over town that my other vehicles with XM do not. Not sure why. Thinking it could be one of two things:

Either The Bronco just has a tiny data buffer so all it takes is a momentary loss of signal for the music to stop playing. Not sure there’s anything I can do about this.

Or The location of the antenna is just not optimal (compared to my other vehicles). Would be nice to play with different antenna locations to see if that improves reception.

Another thought I had was the MIC top interfering. I’ve only owned the vehicle this winter so haven’t removed the top yet. Has anybody else noticed an improvement in XM reception with top off vs. top on?

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is this possible when I can be out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and still be listening to XM? Conversely, I can be in town with good cell service but drive through a parking garage and lose my XM service?

Now I don’t know any details of how Sirius and AT&T work together. Perhaps they use cellular to download album art or something. But just from observation I can tell you that you don’t need a cell signal to listen to XM radio.
Like I mentioned it’s only 360L portion of Sirius XM that runs on cellular. Look in your vehicle settings and you’ll see a toggle to turn 360 L on and off.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/audio-system/what-is-siriusxm-360l/

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve noticed the Bronco seems to drop XM radio in spots all over town that my other vehicles with XM do not. Not sure why. Thinking it could be one of two things:

Either The Bronco just has a tiny data buffer so all it takes is a momentary loss of signal for the music to stop playing. Not sure there’s anything I can do about this.

Or The location of the antenna is just not optimal (compared to my other vehicles). Would be nice to play with different antenna locations to see if that improves reception.

Another thought I had was the MIC top interfering. I’ve only owned the vehicle this winter so haven’t removed the top yet. Has anybody else noticed an improvement in XM reception with top off vs. top on?
Wait 'til you get a roof rack on there which is a snow accumulator. Reception sucks after a snow.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like I mentioned it’s only 360L portion of Sirius XM that runs on cellular. Look in your vehicle settings and you’ll see a toggle to turn 360 L on and off.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/audio-system/what-is-siriusxm-360l/
Was not familiar with that. Reading the description, it just sounds like "Sirius XM App for Ford". If I'm understanding it correctly - it's the same Sirius App you can use for free on iOS, Android or Web Browser....just built into the Ford Sync system. So no need for CarPlay/Android Auto to access it.

Which is cool.

But to avoid confusion: we are talking about the satellite antenna here. Meaning Sirius XM radio. Not the app (whatever the Ford name for it is). Satellite radio does not use a cellular connection.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was not familiar with that. Reading the description, it just sounds like "Sirius XM App for Ford". If I'm understanding it correctly - it's the same Sirius App you can use for free on iOS, Android or Web Browser....just built into the Ford Sync system. So no need for CarPlay/Android Auto to access it.

Which is cool.

But to avoid confusion: we are talking about the satellite antenna here. Meaning Sirius XM radio. Not the app (whatever the Ford name for it is). Satellite radio does not use a cellular connection.
So, then do we have the option to use one or the other? Can someone post a pic of where the sat antenna is?
Sponsored