Anticipated Factory Order system after Reservation process expires

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am _assuming_ that this reservation process will not go on forever [correct?]. That Ford will eventually begin shipping stock to the dealers and that customers will then also be able to order a Bronco 'from the factory' (via the dealerships) with a customer specified configuration within the limits of the allowed trim/feature combinations.

The two Ford pickups I have owned in the past were 'factory orders' to my trim combination specs but it has been over 20 years since I've done this. Does anyone have any info on what this future factory order process will look like? How does it work currently for the F-150 and Rangers?

Caveats: Recognizing (a) that I'm probably talking a MY2023 time frame and, (b) we are guessing in an environment where the marketing behavior to date has been... ...Uhh, uhh, unexpected.

rak2
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm sure that after all of the "reservation" builds one would be able to special order their new Bronco. However I'm thinking you're correct, it will more than likely be close to 2023 before than will happen. All this is just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess), but I bet we're close. :)

ICT SHOCKER

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ford Ranger & 17 Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but I used to sell for Nissan and Mazda. Both had dealer allocation between 3-6 months prior to the units arriving on dealer lots. During allocation we were allowed to place orders but everything was ordered for what management wanted on lot. If a customer wanted to custom order they either had to wait for the next allocation window and then wait the additional 3-6 months for delivery (if we just placed an order it could take almost a year to get the car). The other option was to dealer trade for the closest build to what the customer wanted on a different lot.

This was in 2010-2012 but I doubt much has changed. Most dealers don't want to custom order because they don't want to be left with something random that may not sell if something changes and the customer doesn't end up buying. Even if they got a non-refundable deposit they still don't want a random unit.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From what I've gleaned from people who have special ordered other vehicles and how Ford has described the ordering process, what we're about to go through is just a hyped up factory order process. The only real difference is our reservations put us on an exclusive list to participate in the process for 2021-22.

We're going to give our orders to our dealers. They will enter and finalize them in the Ford ordering system and give us a confirmation showing the order has been placed.

That generally how I understand most dealer special orders to work.

It would have been cool to have a whole automated process by which we configure and submit our orders to the dealer automatically. But, since Ford can't figure out how to build a simple B&P tool properly, I'm really happy it's going to be done via paper and someone tapping it out on a keyboard.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered a Ford a couple years ago. I went in with the build and price and the person went over it again in their system and asked me two or three times if there was anything I wanted to change. He took a $500 check and pressed the button. I got a copy of the order print out and went home. I don't know, maybe six weeks later he called and said it was on a truck (maybe it was rail) and I'd see it in three or four more days. It was about as easy a process as you can imagine.

Sponsored

Lothbrok

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like Ford only kept the reservation option active for so long was to keep a steady state for shareholders (i.e. ~160k reservations). When people canceled their reservations, new reservations would replace them and Ford didn't need to report a negative trend which I feel may be occurring. Its just conjecture at this point, but this roll out is a bit concerning.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I feel like Ford only kept the reservation option active for so long was to keep a steady state for shareholders (i.e. ~160k reservations). When people canceled their reservations, new reservations would replace them and Ford didn't need to report a negative trend which I feel may be occurring. Its just conjecture at this point, but this roll out is a bit concerning.
That was always going to happen. Ford was estimating (and for all we know, still is) a 75% conversion rate. That's crazy and unrealistic but looked good on paper.

OP
OP

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the inputs everyone.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but I used to sell for Nissan and Mazda. Both had dealer allocation between 3-6 months prior to the units arriving on dealer lots. During allocation we were allowed to place orders but everything was ordered for what management wanted on lot. If a customer wanted to custom order they either had to wait for the next allocation window and then wait the additional 3-6 months for delivery (if we just placed an order it could take almost a year to get the car). The other option was to dealer trade for the closest build to what the customer wanted on a different lot.

This was in 2010-2012 but I doubt much has changed. Most dealers don't want to custom order because they don't want to be left with something random that may not sell if something changes and the customer doesn't end up buying. Even if they got a non-refundable deposit they still don't want a random unit.
That's what happened when I bought my 2011 F-150 Lariat, my dealer in San Diego traded with a Dealer in L.A. that had the trim I wanted, on the downside my New Truck had 120 miles on it ?, my Dealer gave me an extra 2000 on my trade in so I didn't mind the miles ?
Sponsored