Sponsored

Any chance the tow capacity gets increased?

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey all...I’ve been super stoked about the new bronco and have one on reserve...however I occasionally tow an enclosed trailer with 2 quads and some gear weighing around 4,000lbs. Any chance the tow capacity gets increased? How bad would it be if I towed 500lbs over capacity? I only tow once or twice a year but It’s a 1000 miles round trip so it’s far. I have an f150 with the 2.7 now so I know it has plenty of power. Thanks.
Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Won't happen, ever. Towing over capacity is not suggested either.

OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Everyone complains about towing and you can’t have a vehicle with a high towing capacity and also be good offroad. Soft suspension will not tow large numbers.

Same complaints on the raptor forum.
I get it, I’m not complaining. I wanted a few opinions seeing as I’m so close to capacity before I cancel my reservation.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get it, I’m not complaining. I wanted a few opinions seeing as I’m so close to capacity before I cancel my reservation.
I'm looking to do similar, tho my trailer is open, but 2 quads on back.

I've towed that setup with Jeep rated at 2k. Jeep has no balls, struggles up hills, and only towed about 100 miles.

Personally, I'd be the (idiot) who would go with being 500 pounds over, depending on how the added weight looks on the Bronco. If it sags too much I won't do it. Either way, I'd check it during the trip to make sure it's good. All this talk about trailer breaks and stuff... We are talking 4k pounds, not 10k. To each their own.

With that said, if you do and you have issues don't blame me.. I'm just saying what I'd be willing to do, based on what I've done in the past.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
the bronco is not out yet. The aftermarket will respond with air bags to stiffen the suspension. You can even go with stiffer shocks but stiffer shocks will destroy the fine tune off-road suspension. Some raptor owners runs bags in the rear but they never exceed the towing capacity.

OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm looking to do similar, tho my trailer is open, but 2 quads on back.

I've towed that setup with Jeep rated at 2k. Jeep has no balls, struggles up hills, and only towed about 100 miles.

Personally, I'd be the (idiot) who would go with being 500 pounds over, depending on how the added weight looks on the Bronco. If it sags too much I won't do it. Either way, I'd check it during the trip to make sure it's good. All this talk about trailer breaks and stuff... We are talking 4k pounds, not 10k. To each their own.

With that said, if you do and you have issues don't blame me.. I'm just saying what I'd be willing to do, based on what I've done in the past.
It’s a tandem axle trailer with brakes, properly loaded I have no doubts the bronco will tow it fine...I’m more worried about liability were something to happen

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s a tandem axle trailer with brakes, properly loaded I have no doubts the bronco will tow it fine...I’m more worried about liability were something to happen
Well I guess liability can get you on that one. It's a risk you gotta ask if you're willing to take. Especially in this day and age.

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all...I’ve been super stoked about the new bronco and have one on reserve...however I occasionally tow an enclosed trailer with 2 quads and some gear weighing around 4,000lbs. Any chance the tow capacity gets increased? How bad would it be if I towed 500lbs over capacity? I only tow once or twice a year but It’s a 1000 miles round trip so it’s far. I have an f150 with the 2.7 now so I know it has plenty of power. Thanks.

I am in the exact situation, currently have a 2.7L F150 and planned on replacing it with the Bronco. I posted in the Overlanding Camping section our new pop up and the general consensus is that I need to keep my truck.

I can't see myself having a need for both the truck and the bronco as many of the situations where I would want the bronco are the same situations where I would want the camper.

I was really hoping for a max tow option closer to that of the Ranger.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've seen quite a few people talk about this, many have said stiffer springs could solve that issue (makes perfect sense to me). I don't know why Ford didn't consider this? Make Bronco the Jack of all Trades like it used to be.. Maybe aftermarket will solve this to some degree.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am in the exact situation, currently have a 2.7L F150 and planned on replacing it with the Bronco. I posted in the Overlanding Camping section our new pop up and the general consensus is that I need to keep my truck.

I can't see myself having a need for both the truck and the bronco as many of the situations where I would want the bronco are the same situations where I would want the camper.

I was really hoping for a max tow option closer to that of the Ranger.
Yeah and I already have a transit250 for work...Im not going to have 3 vehicles. It’s just kills me that I’m so close to capacity. If I was a few thousand over it’d be easy to just punt and stay with an f150.

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Liability is your biggest issue. I won't tow over weight for that reason alone.

As far as towing capacity you may be fine if you do it correctly. In Europe they do a 4 - 7% hitch weight (as opposed to the US standard of 10 - 15%), have greatly increased tow ratings, but have very strict speed limits. Wranglers over there are rated from 4500 to over 5000 lbs. But the trailer has to be weighted more towards the rear to get weight off the hitch. Problem is that makes for a situation where you are more likely to get uncontrolled sway. Especially over about 60mph.

I started a thread in the Towing section with a link to an article that discusses the physics of it. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/great-article-on-european-vs-u-s-tow-ratings.6232/

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would install timbren SES to limit sag; engine/trans are not problem. Only concern would be braking distance. Payload should be sufficient for the loads you are talking about.

OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would install timbren SES to limit sag; engine/trans are not problem. Only concern would be braking distance. Payload should be sufficient for the loads you are talking about.
Trailer has brakes, I’m only really worried about liability. I don’t know the laws and if I’m just instantly screwed were something to happen or if there’s a little cushion if you’re only a little over. If I were to weigh the trailer loaded up I’m probably around 3,800lbs.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What you're towing on the trailer won't change, I assume. So why not change the trailer. Sounds fairly heavy. I'm betting a single axle open trailer should hold 2 quads just fine and drop a lot of weight.

Google says utility quads can get up to 750ish pounds. 1500 pounds of quads leaves a lot of room to fit a "lighter" trailer and some gear.

Or you could just keep the F-150 for towing and add the Bronco to the fleet.
Sponsored