Sponsored

Any chance the tow capacity gets increased?

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s a tandem axle trailer with brakes, properly loaded I have no doubts the bronco will tow it fine...I’m more worried about liability were something to happen
B&P says no trailer brake controller right?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What you're towing on the trailer won't change, I assume. So why not change the trailer. Sounds fairly heavy. I'm betting a single axle open trailer should hold 2 quads just fine and drop a lot of weight.

Google says utility quads can get up to 750ish pounds. 1500 pounds of quads leaves a lot of room to fit a "lighter" trailer and some gear.

Or you could just keep the F-150 for towing and add the Bronco to the fleet.
Im not keeping 3 vehicles lol and the trailer is my fathers, he just got it last year...he likes the enclosed trailer for security and storage.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s interesting that people are saying you can’t have soft, compliant off road suspension and tow rating. Other than the Jeep, there are several vehicles that are compliant and have higher ratings as mentioned on countless other threads. The first issue to consider towing 4K lbs is the class II hitch. Just because it is a 2” receiver does not change the rating? unfortunately. I would guess your tongue weight and total weight would exceed its rating. The rest of the power train, brakes and chassis are not substantially different than the Ranger. The variance in rating has to be either the multi link rear suspension or lack of interest on Fords part to do additional testing and certification. They likely determined the 3500 lb rating matched the main competitor and called it a day. My plan is to add and aftermarket bumper with integrated class III hitch. I only tow my 5k lb boat with tandem axle and brakes, 50miles across straight and flat country roads twice a year. Everything else I tow (Sea Doos, motorcycles, utility trailer) falls under the 3500. My G5 with a G6 motor, transmission and current interior would be perfect for me ?

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not even aftermarket?
Probably aftermarket, it just says not included In towing package. I don’t know how “easy” you can have that installed after delivery

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Im not keeping 3 vehicles lol and the trailer is my fathers, he just got it last year...he likes the enclosed trailer for security and storage.
Then buy your own damn trailer and/or tell your dad to buy a vehicle so he can tow his?

I don't know man.

I really find it odd when people come searching for solutions and shoot down every one that's offered.

OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Then buy your own damn trailer and/or tell your dad to buy a vehicle so he can tow his?

I don't know man.

I really find it odd when people come searching for solutions and shoot down every one that's offered.
You’re so helpful, thanks for chiming in. I wasn’t looking for solutions if you read the original post. I had 2 questions, any chance the capacity gets increased and if not how bad is it to tow slightly over weight.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will be fine if you don’t exceed your gcwr. So if you stay under the vehicle weight plus the 1100-1300 payload plus 3500 tow rating. Depending on how the vehicle is loaded you may be right there. I agree with just getting an aluminum trailer otherwise to lighten the load if you’re sold on the bronco. You could also wait for the new 4 runner or another offering from someone else. Jeep has never adjusted their tow rating on wranglers. Ford is covering their ass while exceeding Wranglers 2 door rating.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Everyone complains about towing and you can’t have a vehicle with a high towing capacity and also be good offroad. Soft suspension will not tow large numbers.

Same complaints on the raptor forum.
Nobodys asking for high tow capacity from the bronco, just more tow cap than a minivan. Or at least a tow package that ups the tow cap for those that do want it. Raptor is an understandable change(to me). The high output 3.5 can tow 8k in the Raptor, the same engine in the f150 limited tows 11k, so the Raptor tows about 70% what the same engine does in the limited. The bronco tows less than half what the ranger does(which frame is based on and the 2.3 engine is from) and even less than that compared to the f150 with the 2.7. And has no difference for engines or size(the 4 door is 16in longer wheelbase which should be more stable, wrangler has 1500lb difference just for wheelbase 2 dr to 4dr). If the bronco towed 70% what the same engines do in the ranger and f150(or even just ranger) a lot would be more than fine. That’d be about 5600lbs.

Don’t want high tow cap, but don’t want as low as a minivan tow cap either.

Last edited:

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I will say this (and it's not anything helpful), but damn I miss the old days. Back when the most anyone thought about was, does the engine have enough power to get me up a hill? It does, GREAT, hook that puppy up.

Ok, that's my thought for the hour... carry on.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dougryan899

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will say this (and it's not anything helpful), but damn I miss the old days. Back when the most anyone thought about was, does the engine have enough power to get me up a hill? It does, GREAT, hook that puppy up.

Ok, that's my thought for the hour... carry on.
I hear that....especially when I know the bronco will be more than adequate for what I need. Damn liability bs.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm right there with you @Dougryan899

I agree with the comment that FoMoCo just thru a safe tow rating on it that was equal to or slightly better than the Jeep as, they (FoMoCo) didn't want to do the work to get the Bronco Certified for anything (in my opinion) that would be the "true capability" of the Bronco.

Oh, and the lawyers got involved with this decision as well....

Time will tell IF FoMoCo will actually "truly test" the Bronco's towing capabilities and to get it certified.

AND Don't Get Me Started on how I feel about comments like.....
"Just keep you truck, as the Bronco isn't for you."
"I have a Dedicated Tow vehicle."
"Buy a truck or something else instead."

The Liability Issue is the only concern that I'd have and just like you, I'll have to make that decision on my own and for each time/situation.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Redarc tow pro elite for the aftermarket brake controller is the one to get.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Liability is/was my only concern. My trailer weighs 3395lbs loaded and I will be towing with the 4dr 2.7 BL. Typically I like more buffer than that but it is what it is. With the trailer brakes, the redarc tow pro elite brake controller and the 2.7 I'll be fine there. This will save me close to $80k by not having to buy a F350 to tow both the Bronco and offroad camper on a gooseneck trailer to our offroad destinations. Not buying a Bronco for it to sit at home and not get wheeled. I already own a DD F150 but it can't tow both the Bronco, camper on a flatbed trailer, hence why I'd need to move into a super duty.

Currently have the redarc brake controller in the wife's grand Cherokee and love it.
Sponsored