Sponsored

Any chance the tow capacity gets increased?

Jenbomb

Outer Banks
First Name
Jennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Liability is/was my only concern. My trailer weighs 3395lbs loaded and I will be towing with the 4dr 2.7 BL. Typically I like more buffer than that but it is what it is. With the trailer brakes, the redarc tow pro elite brake controller and the 2.7 I'll be fine there. This will save me close to $80k by not having to buy a F350 to tow both the Bronco and offroad camper on a gooseneck trailer to our offroad destinations. Not buying a Bronco for it to sit at home and not get wheeled. I already own a DD F150 but it can't tow both the Bronco, camper on a flatbed trailer, hence why I'd need to move into a super duty.

Currently have the redarc brake controller in the wife's grand Cherokee and love it.
Since you seem to have some experience towing, and using a brake controller, does installing one impact your warranty? Does Ford make one that wouldn't impact warranty? I am specifically getting the Bronco to be functional convertible. I plan on towing a small camper and still want to be able to put the top down (or take it off in this case).
Sponsored

Jderosa

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nobodys asking for high tow capacity from the bronco, just more tow cap than a minivan. Or at least a tow package that ups the tow cap for those that do want it. Raptor is an understandable change(to me). The high output 3.5 can tow 8k in the Raptor, the same engine in the f150 limited tows 11k, so the Raptor tows about 70% what the same engine does in the limited. The bronco tows less than half what the ranger does(which frame is based on and the 2.3 engine is from) and even less than that compared to the f150 with the 2.7. And has no difference for engines or size(the 4 door is 16in longer wheelbase which should be more stable, wrangler has 1500lb difference just for wheelbase 2 dr to 4dr). If the bronco towed 70% what the same engines do in the ranger and f150(or even just ranger) a lot would be more than fine. That’d be about 5600lbs.

Don’t want high tow cap, but don’t want as low as a minivan tow cap either.
Agreed! It makes zero sense that the Bronco shares so much with the Ranger but can't come anywhere near towing the same. At the very least, the 4-door should be able to tow more than the 2-door. 3,500 lbs is what a Subaru Outback is rated to! C'mon, there's no way a Bronco shouldn't be able tow more than a Subaru.

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agreed! It makes zero sense that the Bronco shares so much with the Ranger but can't come anywhere near towing the same. At the very least, the 4-door should be able to tow more than the 2-door. 3,500 lbs is what a Subaru Outback is rated to! C'mon, there's no way a Bronco shouldn't be able tow more than a Subaru.
And the Subaru Ascent, with a 4-cyl turbo, tows 5,000 pounds.

Also, note the Jeep Gladiator with the same basic components as the Jeep Wrangler tows thousands of pounds more than the Wrangler can; so the fact the Ranger is rated for more weight than the Bronco is not really unusual.

I'm not happy about any of the Bronco's tow capacity, but it is what it is. I really wanted at least 5k tow capacity. But I'll just have to use a different vehicle for heavier stuff.

Jderosa

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And the Subaru Ascent, with a 4-cyl turbo, tows 5,000 pounds.

Also, note the Jeep Gladiator with the same basic components as the Jeep Wrangler tows thousands of pounds more than the Wrangler can; so the fact the Ranger is rated for more weight than the Bronco is not really unusual.

I'm not happy about any of the Bronco's tow capacity, but it is what it is. I really wanted at least 5k tow capacity. But I'll just have to use a different vehicle for heavier stuff.

I have an Aliner trailer which weighs ~3,300 lbs. But, once it's loaded with our gear and water, that's up over the 3,500. My 2001 Tacoma, which is rated at 5,000 lbs does fine pulling it. It struggles going up some of the mountain roads here in Utah. I was hoping towing would be easier with the Bronco. We'll see. I'm still holding out hope that Ford underestimated it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you seem to have some experience towing, and using a brake controller, does installing one impact your warranty? Does Ford make one that wouldn't impact warranty? I am specifically getting the Bronco to be functional convertible. I plan on towing a small camper and still want to be able to put the top down (or take it off in this case).
Installing one wouldn't void your factory warranty. I installed the redarc on my wife's grand Cherokee and zero issues w/ warranty coverage. I have one in my f150 that is oem but they don't sell that separately for the bronco use. Jeep just finally rolled out their factory option and owners are starting to receive it or have it installed.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Problem with that comparison is they’re more opposites than similar. The gladiator was developed off the wrangler, not the other way around, and was made to tow more than that engine was previously capable of in any vehicle it’s in, while overcoming cooling issues brought by using the same body as the wrangler that limits airflow. And they still managed to make it tow that much. The bronco went the other way, it was developed off the ranger, so was already a tow capable platform, doesn’t use an air flow limiting body, has 2 engines already proven more than capable for towing. Gladiator more than doubled the wranglers tow cap, bronco more than halved the rangers. Shoulda been easier to keep closer to a higher rating than to more than double a low one that was never designed for it.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've heard it suggested that one can install air bags or other suspension additions/replacements that will temporarily adjust the rear suspension which seems to be the weak link. I have a few questions.

When one says the suspension might be the weak link in not being able to tow more, does this mean it isn't firm enough and that the tongue weight leverage at the back of the vehicle may make it bounce and hence be dangerous, or what do they mean by that?

What is a safe and effective way to counter whatever the suspension weak link might be, and why?

Thanks in advance. I always ask a lot of question!

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm by no means an expert, many on here have more experience than me. But my experience is that some very high quality shocks; all four, will help with vehicle stability with towing. Also aftermarket anti-sway bars, also help with vehicle stability. To help with the back end sagging while towing, some people add air shocks to the back, there's also "add a leaf" packages, which add capacity to leaf spring rear suspensions, and also "sumo springs", which are just a rubber-plastic tube inserted inside coil springs. I have those in the rear coil springs of my Tacoma. They are very, very simple, and do help.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Keep in mind, I think they have to assume a fully laden car on top of the towing, if you dont intend to transport 5 adults plus a trunk full of gear on TOP of the 4000lb trailer, you may not be exceeding the limit (not sure if they assume 5 adults for towing capacity, but I suspect they would).
The Ford towing guide states the assumptions made for the max towing capacity, which IIRC is two 150lb people and a hitch. That payload, the curb weight of the vehicle, and the max trailer weight will add up to the GCWR of the vehicle. Any more payload and it comes off the actual weight you can tow.

So yes and no, they do have a way to factor in high payload but it is not included in the published towing capacity.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard it suggested that one can install air bags or other suspension additions/replacements that will temporarily adjust the rear suspension which seems to be the weak link. I have a few questions.

When one says the suspension might be the weak link in not being able to tow more, does this mean it isn't firm enough and that the tongue weight leverage at the back of the vehicle may make it bounce and hence be dangerous, or what do they mean by that?

What is a safe and effective way to counter whatever the suspension weak link might be, and why?

Thanks in advance. I always ask a lot of question!
I think many of us are assuming the coils, multi link and no rear sway bar conspire to limit capacity. Add in the likelihood that a class III hitch limited departure angles and or measurements and that the JEEP Capacity was met and it equals good enough. I can’t see a reason the engine, brakes, chassis, transmission or cooling are an issue. These are all in production now (or are modified versions of current products) and rated well above the Bronco limit.

I plan to add a class III receiver hitch bumper and will likely exceed the stock tow rating occasionally towing my boat (5k lbs.) with surge brakes, the 50 flat and straight miles to and from the barn to the marina and back each summer. If there are simple modifications to counter any rear suspension issues, I will likely try and add those as well.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think many of us are assuming the coils, multi link and no rear sway bar conspire to limit capacity. Add in the likelihood that a class III hitch limited departure angles and or measurements and that the JEEP Capacity was met and it equals good enough. I can’t see a reason the engine, brakes, chassis, transmission or cooling are an issue. These are all in production now (or are modified versions of current products) and rated well above the Bronco limit.

I plan to add a class III receiver hitch bumper and will likely exceed the stock tow rating occasionally towing my boat (5k lbs.) with surge brakes, the 50 flat and straight miles to and from the barn to the marina and back each summer. If there are simple modifications to counter any rear suspension issues, I will likely try and add those as well.
I'd be interested in hearing how that goes for you. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine at least for the engine, transmission, frame, probably brakes. Good luck.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd be interested in hearing how that goes for you. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine at least for the engine, transmission, frame, probably brakes. Good luck.
Hopefully we get feedback across a host of different options and experiments. I am not looking to haul anything over the top, a 21ft bow rider is pretty typical of a weekend toy you would want to use with a Bronco. I would not try to tow the car hauler and Kabota tractor I most recently towed with my F150. Trailer was about 2.5k lb. tractor about 6k lb. it wasn’t a struggle, but way above what I would tow with an SUV like the Bronco.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There won’t be an increase of tow capacity. You have to realize that structurally the max tow has to be able to be done with doors off and top off. While being an off-road vehicle. In addition the highest weight of the bronco including payload is 6700 pounds. If you add more tongue weight you are getting pretty close to 7000 pounds. In order to be best in class and be in the same class as the wrangler it has to be below 7000 pounds. Otherwise it can’t compete. FWIW
Sponsored