Sponsored

Any Close up looks at the removable roof panels on the MIC top?

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if this has been asked, or thoroughly reviewed from one of the dealer events, but hoping someone can shed some light on the removable roof.

Can I get a painted modular hard top on the MY21?

Just kidding. The trolls can go back under their bridge for the time being.

Anyone done a close up on the removable roof panels on the MIC top? I have heard in the past the Wrangler's had issues with the removable roof leaking over time. Just curious if it's how the roof interlocks together or if there's some new enhancements to these roofs which will help prevent that issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's probably the most comprehensive and closeup look to date... no real breakdowns on the actual mating surfaces, but this video at least gives an idea on how they've approached the mounting and interlocking.

I will say, the reputation Jeep has for their leaks was absolutely low hanging fruit for Ford. I would be amazed if Ford didn't pin that target to the wall as one of their major design/engineering concerns.

That said, an engineer once told me "everything leaks."

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's probably the most comprehensive and closeup look to date...

I will say, the reputation Jeep has for their leaks was absolutely low hanging fruit for Ford. I would be amazed if Ford didn't pin that target to the wall as one of their major design/engineering concerns.

That said, an engineer once told me "everything leaks."
Thanks Zack. How the heck do you find this info so quickly? Makes us members feel stupid, so please slow down your responses (just kidding!).

Would be good to get some close-up pictures at one of these dealer events too though.

And I agree with you - Ford has done a good job focusing on Jeep's "opportunities" and I would suspect the roof would be a key one.

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never owned a Jeep, are the bronco seals and latches similar?
I have had some concern about leaks but nothing I’m loosing sleep over.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks Zack. How the heck do you find this info so quickly? Makes us members feel stupid, so please slow down your responses (just kidding!).

Would be good to get some close-up pictures at one of these dealer events too though.

And I agree with you - Ford has done a good job focusing on Jeep's "opportunities" and I would suspect the roof would be a key one.
I think “he” is a computer.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never owned a Jeep, are the bronco seals and latches similar?
I have had some concern about leaks but nothing I’m loosing sleep over.
The latches are similar... but I think the issue with the jeep is in the channeling along the weather stripping.

On my 2014 JK, I can take one look at the way the seams and gutters are arranged and tell you right away where and why the water infiltrates. It's infuriating that it was allowed to be designed that way.

It seems to rely too heavily on the efficacy of the rubber gasket. As soon as it loses it's elasticity, or it gets dirty, etc, the water can get through (remember when I said "everything leaks?").

On normal car sun roofs, there are actually drain holes and pipes that typically run inside along the A pillar. They anticipate that water will absolutely eventually get past the seal, so it's channeled away. On the Jeep it's channeled directly along the inside of the door frame and down to the inside of the kick panel, and down into the floor.

It's infuriating.

All that is to say, it wouldn't take much for an engineer to go "well, let's appreciate that this seal *will* leak... where will the water go when it does?" and plan accordingly.

We don't have any reports on the Bronco yet whether they accomplished this... but like I said, I'm *really* hoping. It's such low hanging fruit...

I personally know about half a dozen Jeep Wrangler owners that would switch to a Bronco as soon as someone only could say "it doesn't leak."

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks @Rubisquatch these are great!

And to our algorithm robot friend, @ZackDanger, it would be great to have the channels/drainage system you speak of. I can imagine taking the panels on and off will naturally wear out the weather stripping, so this would be beneficial.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more conversation around this or posts from dealer events. I thought we have covered every Bronco topic known to man at this point? lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Courtesy of @sjp - This kind of shows some of the interlocking of the panels as well. Would be nice to have a bit of a better shot of this. Someone also needs to bring a bucket of water to a dealer demo and see how the water channels through these panels.

Disclaimer: Bringing a bucket of water and dumping it on a Bronco at a dealer event is not recommended and may have you ejected from the event.

Ford Bronco Any Close up looks at the removable roof panels on the MIC top? IMG_1164.JPG

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

One other picture... should have taken more for sure. I was just so happy to sit in the dang thing, I forgot why I was there!

Ford Bronco Any Close up looks at the removable roof panels on the MIC top? IMG_1167.JPG

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One other picture... should have taken more for sure. I was just so happy to sit in the dang thing, I forgot why I was there!

Ford Bronco Any Close up looks at the removable roof panels on the MIC top? IMG_1167.JPG
That's a great picture, thank you!

To any of the Jeep guys above, how does this compare with the roof system you have? It looks like a pretty significant channel there.

Reactions: sjp

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a great picture, thank you!

To any of the Jeep guys above, how does this compare with the roof system you have? It looks like a pretty significant channel there.
That is a nice channel. The other thing that just occurred to me is that the frameless doors may actually help a *ton* here.

On the jeep, the water is basically directed behind the door frame against the weather stripping... on the frameless doors of the Bronco, the window could conceivably be up behind the surface the water is on, so it's being deposited in front of the window. That would be a huge bonus.

The one that has me worried is the center channel. The looks of the gaskets make me worry they are thinking of relying on those little flaps to keep water from working forward and backward down the middle seam of the front pannels.

At the front there appears to be a channel running the width... I hope that deposits outside the windows on both sides.

On the middle seam... not sure what's going to happen there.

I will say, with all of the problems with my top, I've never identified one with those middle seams, so it may not even be an issue.
Sponsored