Sponsored

Any Dash-cam suggestions for Bronco? Can I use Bronco camera as Dash-cam?

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm on my 2nd dash cam, always bought what ever had good ratings (and also always reading the 1-3 star ones to not get fooled by companies that give some free crap for a 5 star review) and they work fine, eventually with the summer heat they will die. My son has my truck right now so I can't look what brand I currently have.
A built in option sure would be nice, especially since with the Bronco it will be impossible to mount it behind the mirror with that big box of sensors up there. I'd not want the constant video screen in my line of sight. I have it strictly in case of an accident, would not use it for a trail cam. (I have a YI 4k action cam for that, cheaper than a gopro and good enough for my occasional use).

I'll do the same when the Bronco shows up, just get what has good ratings, expecting it to last a couple years. Not gonna spend too much and don't need parking recording, don't see the point. I doubt the police would go all out trying to find who bumped into your rig or stole something, probably not worth their time. And you most likely won't catch a license plate of someone bumping you in a parking lot either.

It's just a nice things to have in case of an accident and you can use the video for travel film too of course, just not as good an image as a dedicated action cam. But if you happen to end up on a pretty road or trail you can have video.

Keep in mind though, it will be obvious that you have that camera hanging there, might be an attractive target for a thief, especially with no roof/doors. Reason why I might not even get one for the Bronco, last thing I want is something I have to take off the windshield every time I park somewhere, not sure yet.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's what I have been looking at, I think the odds of blocking the rear view with cargo is high. A rear view dash cam solves that issues and adds a dash cam too!
exactly .... as is, the view is very limited, now put a dog and some cargo back there and see how you like it
the only thing is that we have to find a spot for that rear camera to be mounted

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should be fairly straightforward given the passthrough wires, if you're comfortable cutting the dash for the ports.

I was trying to research dashcam options that could be powered by the dash USB (I ordered Lux), since that would preclude needing the wiring harness with the cams available from Ford. Evidently virtually all dashcams are unreliable at best if you try to power them off a standard USB. They all use a wiring harness or cigarette light adapter. +1 to going with a GoPro
I use a 4k dash cam in my RV that has all of the 'extras', i use a hardwired 12v>5v usb adapter as it is usb powered. Has WiFi and will download video direct to your phone, I have caught some crazy shit cagers do, several wrecks, and 1 hit and run. The 4K makes reading plates a snap as you can zoom right in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TSSPat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd be interested in one as well if anyone has experience with a nice 4k one they can recommend.

I plan on plugging mine into the USB-C port on the dash, anymore info on the picatinny rail? Has Ford nixed it?

TSSPat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Path of least resistance for a dashcam with parking mode would be something like the Blackvue with the battery packs, those can be wired to one of the aux power supplies to charge when the car is on and stored in / behind / under the glovebox. From there you'd just run the power cable up the a-pillar to the dashcam.

Reactions: JPG

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just went down a rabbit hole with this one. LOOKS AWESOME! Order has been placed, thanks for sharing mate!
really? what are you going to install it on? you have to give us feedback on how it works for you

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use a 4k dash cam in my RV that has all of the 'extras', i use a hardwired 12v>5v usb adapter as it is usb powered. Has WiFi and will download video direct to your phone, I have caught some crazy shit cagers do, several wrecks, and 1 hit and run. The 4K makes reading plates a snap as you can zoom right in.
can you post the link plz? I'm looking for a 4k one

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually.....

If you pay attention to what has been said to-date about that trail mapping stuff... it sounds like you can "record" in the sense that you can upload just your track/route over the map. If you want to record video it needs to be done through your cellphone (mounted to your dash/windshield).

Using your cellphone and the associated app, you can marry the telemetry data from your Bronco with the video recorded on your phone, into one cohesive record.... and then upload that record to some social media platform for "likes" and "MeowMeowBeenz" from your off-roading peers.

From this thread here:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/fordpass-performance-app-for-bronco-–-features-part-1.13273/
So you take that as you record directly on your cellphone? I hope not but they don't explain it fully. I could be wrong but I've always assumed its going to be an adhoc wifi connection, phone to bronco. They bronco will record and it will save on the phone as its recording. The same way drones or a gopro saves a video to your phone wirelessly.

Check out the 9:00 mark of the bronco intro video. It shows a recorded video on the screen with the ability to pause rewind and fast forward. Its a video recorded with the bronco. I really really hope you can record with the truck. And with sync 4 OTA updates we can maybe hope for abilities to be available later. Like dashcam mode.

Separately, I've only used a Kenwood dash cam but really like it and recommend them. Its on 24 hours a day and after 3 days of camping the car starts. The parking monitor works great. I've caught the person leaving dog crap early in the morning in my campsite.

I use the DRV-320.