Sponsored

Any disadvantage with Swaybar disconnect?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is a "NEW" item, but I always think about power windows and ice dispensers on refrigerators.
Does any body worry about them any more?
Those damn EFI motors still giving us trouble?
Jeep cut corners on waterproofing their product and got caught.
What gamble do you think Ford is going to take on the new Bronco?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Come to think of it, I seem to have far more issues with programming tech than mechanical tech.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it makes anybody feel better, I’m sure somebody will design something like the Currie RockJock which is the best of both worlds.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is a "NEW" item, but I always think about power windows and ice dispensers on refrigerators.

Well, just had my door apart two weeks ago replacing the window motor, and the ice dispenser doesn't work on my fridge, which is fairly new, so, yeah, I worry about that kind of stuff. All the time.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, just had my door apart two weeks ago replacing the window motor, and the ice dispenser doesn't work on my fridge, which is fairly new, so, yeah, I worry about that kind of stuff. All the time.

Well that sucks.
Funny, my ice maker went out when fridge was fairly new also.....replacement is still going strong many years later. :rolleyes:
(Knock on wood)
Been my experience with anything electrical or mechanical, you either have issues early on, or they run properly for their expected lifetime and beyond.

I certainly don't worry about that kind of crap anymore. It's ether going to break...or it won't....worrying about it won't change a thing.

That's today's lesson....class is over.

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And it’s possible that some sort of hydraulics failure could cause the same sort of malfunction in the Bronco. That being said, I’m excited about the feature in the Badlands.
If they designed it right the default position is locked. If the hydraulic or electronics just cut out it should stay locked. Besides, the suspension on the bronco looks like it would be just fine even on the highway with no swaybar if it did somehow disconnect at speed. Worst case just dont swerve too much.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a mechanical engineer, pretty much any time I make any machine move, the wear / number of cycles I'm putting on that mechanism is in my mind. It's a bit of a curse.

As for the sway bar, it's a new design. There is nothing directly comparable that I am aware of. Jeep's design is sufficiently different to be a poor comparison. If I had to make a blanket statement, I'd say that "most hydraulic systems on modern automobiles are pretty reliable."

gmoney

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4-DR Bronco - Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it makes anybody feel better, I’m sure somebody will design something like the Currie RockJock which is the best of both worlds.
What's the benefit of this sway bar versus simple discos?

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco Sway bar disconnect can be actuated under load, so if you forget or come to need it offroad, you can.(not sure what condition it needs to reconnect yet). With Jeep/Ram, you have to disconnect on flat ground, no load, and same for reconnecting it.
I would hope the Bronco disco is spring return, so if it fails it will try to close/lock.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
vs Jeeps auto discos: Jeep has to be on flat ground to disconnect/reconnect. The Bronco can be on uneven ground and the vehicle articulated and still disconnect. The Bronco will also automatically reconnect at above 20mph for safety reasons

vs manual disconnects. You don't have to slide under the Bronco and disconnect them, either by removing a nut or pulling a pin. The advantage to manual is there is no electric or hydraulic tech that can go wrong

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Bronco Sway bar disconnect can be actuated under load, so if you forget or come to need it offroad, you can.(not sure what condition it needs to reconnect yet). With Jeep/Ram, you have to disconnect on flat ground, no load, and same for reconnecting it.
I would hope the Bronco disco is spring return, so if it fails it will try to close/lock.
BL disco option is on the fly under 20 mph and can have load on non flat scenarios. personally I think if I went BD and had a manual disconnect, that would prolly be sufficient as I would most likely disco on any trail rides and connect when done. on the fly seems weird.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have a Jeep, and I’ve never ridden in one with this type of system, but...it’s supposed to allow full articulation like without a sway bar, but still be “connected” enough to keep the shiny side up if you have to make an emergency maneuver at speed. And you never have to get out to disconnect it.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi, I understand well the advantage of having the swaybar disconnect offered by the Badlands. I was wondering though if there are any technical disadvantage with having it? For exemple worst reliability, or worst handling at higher speed?

I will do some off-roading with my Bronco, but I am not sure I’ll need the swaybar disco so I am trying to decide between Badlands and Wildtrack. If the swaybar disco brings some cons to the equation, I might go wildtrack.
The endless feeling of raw power may be hard for some people to live with.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it fails, probably around $1500 to replace. Also, since it is hydraulic you might gets leaks when the hoses or seals age.
If it ever fails on mine outside of warranty, it will be gone for good.
Sponsored