Sponsored

Any experience with the smaller profile lights for use on the A-pillar mounts?

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Given how infrequently they will be used and most often used as highbeam supplements for higher speed, Texas two lane farm roads out east, it seems to me I don't need the expense, appearance (really don't care about the 'look' of adding on lights) or wind noise that goes along with the larger form factor lights typical of kits mounted there, so I've found myself looking at the smaller form one- and two-element spotlights to put on the A-pillar mounting points. For better or for worse, I skipped the modular bumper and am past the point of no return for changing the order, so this is the next best mounting point.

Has anyone here had any experience with these and can pass judgement as to their fitness for purpose? Looking more specifically at either the Baja Designs S1 kit (which curiously only spots the S2 Pro 75 lumens despite only having one element) or the Rigid SR-M Pro spots.
Sponsored

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.apollo-optics.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak | 2021 GT500 | 2019 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Given how infrequently they will be used and most often used as highbeam supplements for higher speed, Texas two lane farm roads out east, it seems to me I don't need the expense, appearance (really don't care about the 'look' of adding on lights) or wind noise that goes along with the larger form factor lights typical of kits mounted there, so I've found myself looking at the smaller form one- and two-element spotlights to put on the A-pillar mounting points. For better or for worse, I skipped the modular bumper and am past the point of no return for changing the order, so this is the next best mounting point.

Has anyone here had any experience with these and can pass judgement as to their fitness for purpose? Looking more specifically at either the Baja Designs S1 kit (which curiously only spots the S2 Pro 75 lumens despite only having one element) or the Rigid SR-M Pro spots.
The S1 from Baja Designs uses a single 20w chip (it's basically 25% output of an XL80). So it packs more punch than the 2 LEDs in the S2 Pro and S2 Sport lights. The S1 Spot or S2 Pro Driving/Combo would be great for low profile pillar mounts. I do like the idea of doing the S2 Pro in the D/C beam pattern as you get one dedicated spot LED and one dedicated wide LED (outward facing) per light.

Happy to help with either option, as well as the Diode Dynamics SSC1 or SSC2 lights. Feel free to send me a PM if I can assist.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not a fan of the S1 lights on the pillars, very small. The most popular we sell are the Squadron Sports and Pros (Pros are brighter).

I personally run the XL80 on our demo truck which is the next most popular setup.

There is no wind noise with the pillar setup, so I would not worry about that.

If size is an issue, go with Squadrons

We have plenty in stock ready to ship (in fact, we have WAY more then need in stock lol, please buy some):

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-a-pillar-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks y'all for the prompt responses

The S1 from Baja Designs uses a single 20w chip (it's basically 25% output of an XL80). So it packs more punch than the 2 LEDs in the S2 Pro and S2 Sport lights. The S1 Spot or S2 Pro Driving/Combo would be great for low profile pillar mounts. I do like the idea of doing the S2 Pro in the D/C beam pattern as you get one dedicated spot LED and one dedicated wide LED (outward facing) per light.
I hadn't considered including anything other than spot lenses under the assumption that the wider lens on a driving combo would light the hood up and throw a fair bit of glare back into the cabin, is this not the case?

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is no wind noise with the pillar setup, so I would not worry about that.
I've heard enough 'buyer's remorse' from Jeep acquaintances with light bars due to the noise that comes with, glad to hear that isn't the case with this location

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've heard enough 'buyer's remorse' from Jeep acquaintances with light bars due to the noise that comes with, glad to hear that isn't the case with this location
The noise you are referring to is from the roof, not the pillars.

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The noise you are referring to is from the roof, not the pillars.
Understood, I probably should have said instead that I don't expect to bolt a block of anything without affecting the airflow behind it, so I incorrectly assumed there would be some noise generated by a light hanging out in the channel between the mirror and a-pillar

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.apollo-optics.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak | 2021 GT500 | 2019 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hadn't considered including anything other than spot lenses under the assumption that the wider lens on a driving combo would light the hood up and throw a fair bit of glare back into the cabin, is this not the case?
For how small these lights are and the relatively low level of brightness, it's not a problem. For example, I have a pair of Baja Designs XL80s on A-pillar mounts on our 2019 Super Duty with white paint and the glare is not noticeable.

With going with a Driving/Combo lens from Baja Designs, the spot LED would be inboard light and the wide LED would be the outboard light. So the majority of your wide pattern will emit to the sides not towards the hood, this will also help mitigate any pillar light issues.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 5 inch round pillar lights not wind noise...
Sponsored