Sponsored

Any ideas if the bronco will have issues when they first roll out?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don’t want to bring any bad vibes but i had a thought about this now since some of the new Jeeps had to make recalls. Do you think the bronco will have the same issue, if so what do you hope it’s not.
Incredibly complex machine

New design, built on a new production line

Designed, and built by humans

Prone to misuse by human end-users

Humans have an unshakable track record of incorrectly engineering, assembling, and operating machinery.

How could there possibly be a problem?
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How is the Ranger paint holding up? Since it will use the same equipment and people, that’s the standard it should be.
Will the Bronco and next gen Ranger use the same paint line as the current gen Ranger?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is the Ranger paint holding up? Since it will use the same equipment and people, that’s the standard it should be.
Not for sure, it'll really take about 1 more year to really know. That is the problem with some of these things, it can takes a couple years to shake out. not an issue for people who swap cars every 1-2 years, but for those of us who keep them for 20-30+ it is.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to differ, but of course the fault is ultimately Ford's, not the supplier.

It is Ford's responsibility to properly layout the requirements for their internal teams or external vendors to assure the item is designed to meet Ford's requirements. It is then Ford's responsibility to fully and completely integrate the item and then to test, test and re-test the product through all conditions to confirm it meets those requirements.

If Ford is purchasing an off-the-shelf design, with zero modifications, again, it is Ford's responsibility to fully and completely integrate the item and then to test, test and re-test the product through all conditions to confirm it meets their requirements.

I have worked many programs and projects and have seen when this goes right and I have seen when it goes wrong. In this case it is Ford's name on the vehicle and for anyone to cast blame outside of their company simplify means Ford did not property specify or manage the item of concern through it's design cycle. Will unknown issues arise, of course, but then again, it is Ford's responsibility to work with their internal or external teams to resolve this issue.

Good Gawd was that refreshing to read.
Are you a Vet? That attitude of ultimate responsibility is mostly gone now-a-days, or so it seems.

As a frmer Marine, I tend to grade management under a very an extremly critical eye .... when a eff up happens on their watch, that is the first place I look towards. Very rare is the case that the guy at the the bottom of the totem pole took matters into his own hands and went against the directions he was given, it is generally a case of poor supervision, miscommunication or he was outright given bad information.
Yet we all know who will take the fall.

It has become interesting sickening to observe the management group together and discuss who is to blame. Finger pointing and passing of the buck.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good Gawd was that refreshing to read.
Are you a Vet? That attitude of ultimate responsibility is mostly gone now-a-days, or so it seems.

As a frmer Marine, I tend to grade management under a very an extremly critical eye .... when a eff up happens on their watch, that is the first place I look towards. Very rare is the case that the guy at the the bottom of the totem pole took matters into his own hands and went against the directions he was given, it is generally a case of poor supervision, miscommunication or he was outright given bad information.
Yet we all know who will take the fall.

It has become interesting sickening to observe the management group together and discuss who is to blame. Finger pointing and passing of the buck.
As a matter of fact, yes, Air Force Veteran and aerospace engineering veteran where our decisions had consequences.

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Will the Bronco and next gen Ranger use the same paint line as the current gen Ranger?
I've heard it's a new one - apparently they just repurposed the Focus line for the stop-gap Ranger, and it's not optimally designed for a midsize SUV/pickup, so I've heard they're replacing it with a one more appropriate for those vehicles.

Deleted member 3063

Haven't been in that particular plant for a long time, but. The paint line itself would be less important than the e coat line and ovens that may require a different processes.

If Bronco fits there is no reason, except capacity that it couldn't use the same paint lines. The Bronco will be painted by robots capable of switching models and color for every unit as it passes through. They generally don't paint that way as it wastes paint and solvent so there probably be blocks of Broncos then blocks of Rangers for the colors that aren't common to both. The size of the blocks would naturally vary based on model demand and color popularity.

Materials will be speced to the same standards as Ranger. Ford knew they were going to build two models when the plant was tooled for Ranger.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just hope that the Bronco doesn't have the mustang paint issues. thin, soft paint, hood rot, very susceptible to rock chips
Agreed. But that won’t be fixed in subsequent model years tbh if it’s a problem at launch.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm going to guess that they have the same sort of leak issues that have plagued the Jeep forever.

Making a roof with a bunch of removable panels that doesn't leak at some point is pretty much impossible for some reason.
So what does that mean for the Bronco with a similar design?

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just hope that the Bronco doesn't have the mustang paint issues. thin, soft paint, hood rot, very susceptible to rock chips
I had hood rot on the front edge of my 2015 Mustang when I traded it in at 25K miles. Was taking a new job that was more secure but included a temporary pay cut for a year it needed to go. Still had my 2016 Focus ST to daily though. It had 25k miles but a lot of those miles were around VIR, Road ATL, Barber Motorsports park, autocrossing, and many Tail of the Dragon runs. It was hiccup free the entire time. The MT82 transmission did shift like an old 8N tractor though.

If the Bronco has any teething issues I assume it will be with the front axle suspension system or the rear brake system that locks around tight turns. The engine should be tested and ready cause the 2.3 and 2.7 have been out for a few years now.

Sponsored

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 89 T-bird that I bought new, was also a new design, had 3 issues within the first year. Glove box wouldn't open, seat belt tension and a kinked windshield gasket that allowed water penetration. The serious problem was the defective windshield gasket that took a while to pin point (stupid robot).

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would almost expect the roof to leak somewhere. Not a dig at Ford or even Jeep (that I have 0 trust in as a brand/FCA) but just IMHO impossible to completely eliminate with frame flex, body flex, panel flex, humans putting panels on and taking off and god knows how many man-handling them into garbage.

The wife's uncle is a ford sr master tech (30+yrs) and for example with the fiesta/focus dct auto transmission he has found most issues are from people driving like grandma's. He has stated the majority of times he takes the car and runs from a stop and drives the car (not racing it, but not driving like a grandma) after a couple times it clears the clutch glaze and the engine gets the built up carbon out along with the computer having been driven like it was intended provides enough data to "learn" it new habits that are more in line with factory settings resolving the issues. A lot of complaints simply because people drive like crap and when the car "learns" their driving style that sucks complain about car trouble.

years ago I remember something Jay Leno said on TV regarding the single difference between European and US cars...the cupholder. In US cars we eat, drink, talk, rock out, look at and do everything else except drive. Far more US cars have far more cupholders than many euro cars. Granted this is probably almost 20yrs ago and I think euro cars now have more cup holders but the mindset in Europe is drive, you are tested heavily, and fines often are a lot harsher...her in the US...you can almost past by fogging a mirror by comparison.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

years ago I remember something Jay Leno said on TV regarding the single difference between European and US cars...the cupholder.

.....the mindset in Europe is drive, you are tested heavily, and fines often are a lot harsher...here in the US...you can almost past by fogging a mirror by comparison.
At one point, the Euro engineers were thoroughly confused by the focus groups who came back from testing their Mercedes and Bimmers and requested "cup holders".
They literally had no idea why you'd want a Hugh Jazz cup holder in a car, especially near the driving position.
Does not compute.
Wildly different approach to driving.

The way we drive in "traffic" tends to lead to a lot of the congestion we deal with .... IMO ..... if you're being passed, move your ass to the right.
If you're passing, accelerate and get it over with quickly, then get the hell out of the hammer lane.

That's one thing I noticed while in Germany, 5 lanes of traffic, when they over took a vehicle, they passed like we do on two lane roads.....move left, make the pass QUICKLY....move the fuck back over.... and use your damn signals!!!!

Here, as we all know, you'll get somebody dawdling side by side for literally 10/15 miles or more....no wonder there is road rage.

Last edited:

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's always a few quirks with the 1st and 2nd model year. Normally it's caught early on and worked out by gen 3 and on. I want to wait for the 2nd or 3rd year bronco but I don't think I"m going to be able to resist getting a year 1

Deleted member 3063

If the Bronco has any teething issues I assume it will be with the front axle suspension system or the rear brake system that locks around tight turns.
I would assume the dig function is purely electronic via the antilock/ traction control system. So there would be no new pieces in the rear brake assembly for that function.
Sponsored