Sponsored

Any ideas if the bronco will have issues when they first roll out?

oho21

Wildtrak
First Name
Ohanis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Beetle turbo 2012
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t want to bring any bad vibes but i had a thought about this now since some of the new Jeeps had to make recalls. Do you think the bronco will have the same issue, if so what do you hope it’s not.
Sponsored

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chit will happen. I doubt it'll be jeep level stuff though.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the Ecoboost came out in the F150, it had been tested extensively. Except in day-long driving rain storms at highway speeds.

It took them 18 months to figure out the intercooler changes and update the product. By spring of 2012 they pretty much resolved it (though I still have a small drain in my 2013 intercooler.....)

Deleted member 3063

Probably nothing as extensive as VWs dieselgate.
Assembly blunders are generally fixed quick while other problems take years to surface,

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was talking to Dad about this. Ford’s launches have gone exceptionally well except the Explorer, but that’s because Chicago assembly sounds like a clusterfuck. From what I understand 2015 F-150 and 2015 Mustangs have been rock solid, with the exception of some minor problems with the 2.3 Ecoboost in the first year or two if you tune them heavily. For me personally, I would be a bit wary buying a first year of a powertrain but Bronco will be all legacy in that department.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Was talking to Dad about this. Ford’s launches have gone exceptionally well except the Explorer, but that’s because Chicago assembly sounds like a clusterfuck. From what I understand 2015 F-150 and 2015 Mustangs have been rock solid, with the exception of some minor problems with the 2.3 Ecoboost in the first year or two if you tune them heavily. For me personally, I would be a bit wary buying a first year of a powertrain but Bronco will be all legacy in that department.
The Explorer was a bridge too far for Ford. Front to rear drive, basically a totally new suv.

They got arrogant/greedy and thought they could do it in 30 days, unheard of in the auto industry.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Mustang has had problems with the 6-spd manuals. might be some teething problems with the Bronco 7-spds early on.
Possibly some wonky recalls like most new vehicles have- incorrect seat belt mount torque, backup lights stay on, radio works only when doors are locked etc.

bsb78

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
FWIW, the MAP launch team is the best in the company in regards to launches. I expect things to go (mostly) smoothly.

That being said, there will always be first model year gremlins that get corrected over the course of the next 12-18 months. It’ll be better than Jeep quality, but that’s not hard to beat :LOL:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Mustang has had problems with the 6-spd manuals. might be some teething problems with the Bronco 7-spds early on.
Possibly some wonky recalls like most new vehicles have- incorrect seat belt mount torque, backup lights stay on, radio works only when doors are locked etc.
The mustang transmission is not necessarily the fault of Ford. Here’s the post about it from Reddit... I don’t see anything similar being a problem with Bronco

1) Unlike older models, the shifter is not directly connected to the transmission. The shifter is mounted to the body and has a linkage that goes forward to the trans. The trans and engine sit on VERY soft engine mounts because NVH is a bad thing for 99% of mustang buyers. When you drive the car hard, the soft mounts allow the engine/trans to rotate and move. This movement causes the shifter linkage to move slightly, and now the shifter "feels" different and the muscle memory gained from normal driving causes partial-engagements and bad shifts.
2) These bad shifts and partial engagements cause repeated damage to the synchros and gears. Being a modern transmission, the focus is on smooth shifting and easy engagement rather than outright strength. Compare the MT82 to an old T56 and you'll noticed a dramatic improvement in how "easy" the mt82 is to put into gear. How do you get smoother engagements and less noise from a transmission? 1) Increase the helical angles of the gears, which generally reduces overall strength and 2) increase the quantity of teeth on the synchros, which requires smaller teeth, again, reducing their overall strength.
3) When the MT82 first came out with the new 5.0 coyote engines, there was a video where a ford engineer essentially said: "yeah, the engine could easily rev to 8k instead of 7k. We didn't do that because it hurts long term reliability". All anyone heard from that was "it can rev to 8k". So, a bunch of tuners immediately started creating tunes that let the engine rev to 8k. This caused issues with vibration (the difference between 7k and 8k RPM is a LOT in terms of vibration) and the pressure plate/flywheel bolts would start to back out. This caused some clutch issues very early on. I believe ford used a higher torque spec or loctite on the bolts to solve this.
4) The largest issue: most people are REALLY FUCKING BAD at driving manual. While many people love driving a manual trans it doesn't mean they're good at it. Especially in a high HP car. Resting the left foot on the clutch pedal, resting a hand on the shifter, constantly up/down shifting because the car sounds cool, doing burnouts, and just the occasional slip-up while driving all build up to major damage to parts of the trans. Watch videos of people racing and just slamming the shifter into gear. Yeah, it's a great shift, but it's extremely hard on the transmission to do that. It's not really a problem when you can afford to replace the trans every 2-3 years or if you don't plan on keep the car a long time. If you can barely afford the car in the first place, and then drive it like Ken Block, yeah, you're going to break shit and then be in a position where you can't afford to replace it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve read that the Mustang stick issues have more to do with the supplier than Ford. Totally agree with you on oddities that might arise from a new model.

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Things can go both ways. After a launch of a new generation vehicle sometimes the bean counters try to make things cheaper. My 2015 F-150 has an aluminum oil pan. On some of the later models Ford decided to go to a plastic oil pan which leaked.:oops:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The mustang transmission is not necessarily the fault of Ford. Here’s the post about it from Reddit... I don’t see anything similar being a problem with Bronco
I’ve read that the Mustang stick issues have more to do with the supplier than Ford. Totally agree with you on oddities that might arise from a new model.
Sorry to differ, but of course the fault is ultimately Ford's, not the supplier.

It is Ford's responsibility to properly layout the requirements for their internal teams or external vendors to assure the item is designed to meet Ford's requirements. It is then Ford's responsibility to fully and completely integrate the item and then to test, test and re-test the product through all conditions to confirm it meets those requirements.

If Ford is purchasing an off-the-shelf design, with zero modifications, again, it is Ford's responsibility to fully and completely integrate the item and then to test, test and re-test the product through all conditions to confirm it meets their requirements.

I have worked many programs and projects and have seen when this goes right and I have seen when it goes wrong. In this case it is Ford's name on the vehicle and for anyone to cast blame outside of their company simplify means Ford did not property specify or manage the item of concern through it's design cycle. Will unknown issues arise, of course, but then again, it is Ford's responsibility to work with their internal or external teams to resolve this issue.

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just hope that the Bronco doesn't have the mustang paint issues. thin, soft paint, hood rot, very susceptible to rock chips

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just hope that the Bronco doesn't have the mustang paint issues. thin, soft paint, hood rot, very susceptible to rock chips
How is the Ranger paint holding up? Since it will use the same equipment and people, that’s the standard it should be.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After a launch of a new generation vehicle sometimes the bean counters try to make things cheaper.
That's the Mission Statement for most corporate finance departments: "Take a product that everybody LOVES, and tweak it down to where no one will buy it."
Sponsored