Sponsored

Any OBX guys switching over to Badlands due to interior / MIC top?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I was dead set on the OBX. 4 dr, AMB, Lux with leather, painted flares, black mod top to match grille, and would potentially upgrade to 33s. ....I am now strongly considering switch to a Badlands because:

1. OBX annodized brown dash does not look good
2. General distate for OBX navy pier
3. MIC top clashes with OBX grille, and is better suited for a Badlands grille and flares. As seen on the Area 51 overlands build..
4. Badlands has nicer interior with black seats, yellow stitching and accents.

And with no black mod top, my OBX AMB build with painted flares will look no bueno in a MIC top. The body will actually be darker than the top. While Im not yet sure if im a fan on Area-51, I do like the overlands build, so A51 in Badlands trim with MIC top and matching grille/flares to offset the overwhelming color of Robins Egg blue, will look better.

I have little intention of taking this off-road, but honestly strongly considering switching to Badlands. I am seeing a 2.7L lux leather OBX is $51.8k after dest. Plus the cost to upgrade 33s (which we dont even know for sure will fit).... vs the 2.7L lux Badlands, with 33s is $53.8k (with MGV seats). I would be foregoing power seats, but not sure how meaningful that is since none of the trims come with memory seats. To get power seats means stepping up from MGV to leather on the Badlands is $2.2k, and probably not worth it.

OBX - $51.8k, plus cost of 33s in hope the fit
Badlands - $53.8k, better interior and matching MIC body parts, no power seats.

Anyone else in a similar position? Basically spending a few K more for a better interior without any real intention of using off-roading bits?
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved Badlands and was planning on switching to OBX at order. The interior on OBX is making me stick with Badlands. You almost are forced into Black or White to match the interior....

Michael Grasso

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally had the OBX, hated the interior colors so upgraded to Badlands Black leather, perfect with the dogs.

Mg

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been considering this change. I'm a confirmed MY22 so I'm basically waiting to see the 22 B+P as well as some more real pics of vehicles in the wild configured in different ways. [Although how much leeway we have to change trim without losing price lock-in when it comes time to reorder is an open question.]

I do have short women in my life, so the tube step would be missed.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I was dead set on the OBX. 4 dr, AMB, Lux with leather, painted flares, black mod top to match grille, and would potentially upgrade to 33s. ....I am now strongly considering switch to a Badlands because:

3. MIC top clashes with OBX grille, and is better suited for a Badlands grille and flares. As seen on the Area 51 overlands build..

And with no black mod top, my OBX AMB build with painted flares will look no bueno in a MIC top. The body will actually be darker than the top. While Im not yet sure if im a fan on Area-51, I do like the overlands build, so A51 in Badlands trim with MIC top and matching grille/flares to offset the overwhelming color of Robins Egg blue, will look better.

I have little intention of taking this off-road, but honestly strongly considering switching to Badlands. I am seeing a 2.7L lux leather OBX is $51.8k after dest. Plus the cost to upgrade 33s (which we dont even know for sure will fit).... vs the 2.7L lux Badlands, with 33s is $53.8k (with MGV seats). I would be foregoing power seats, but not sure how meaningful that is since none of the trims come with memory seats. To get power seats means stepping up from MGV to leather on the Badlands is $2.2k, and probably not worth it.

Anyone else in a similar position? Basically spending a few K more for a better interior without any real intention of using off-roading bits?
To me the black diamond or the badlands are the best choices depending on budget. I would go badlands 1000% over obx. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time what’s a few thousand for what you really like vs what you want to like. I was thinking black diamond but in the future when bronco comes out with better colours and options moving towards badlands.
Plus I think and this is pure anecdotal, I believe besides first editions badlands and wild tracks will be the ones that everyone wants resale.

Sponsored

Kfmathern

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru outback, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me the black diamond or the badlands are the best choices depending on budget. I would go badlands 1000% over obx. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time what’s a few thousand for what you really like vs what you want to like. I was thinking black diamond but in the future when bronco comes out with better colours and options moving towards badlands.
Plus I think and this is pure anecdotal, I believe besides first editions badlands and wild tracks will be the ones that everyone wants resale.
I changed from an obx to badlands after riding in the badlands at Moab. I think it's the best one available

Goosesoup

Outer Banks
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500 Denali, 2012 SS Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am an Area 51 OBX but with sasquatch. I ended up with Navy Pier cloth, I am a detailer so I have connections on doing an aftermarket leather to replace the cloth which will be cheaper than the leather packages ford will offer.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just switched over to badlands as well. Once I realized that a similar badlands build is only 2k more, and I was going to put 17” wheels with 33s on my OBX which negates the savings it was a no brainer

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello old thread! I just bought an outer banks with the bronze dash, and it is surprisingly nice. You just can't go by the pictures online. The interior looks so much better in person.

TennesseeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's funny how many people on this forum dog the OBX interior. I have the roast leather and literally everyone that looks at my Bronco says the interior is awesome. I don't mention it or ask about it. But one of the first things they say is how much they love the interior. And I've had a lot of people look at it. Not one person has said anything bad about it.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's funny how many people on this forum dog the OBX interior. I have the roast leather and literally everyone that looks at my Bronco says the interior is awesome. I don't mention it or ask about it. But one of the first things they say is how much they love the interior. And I've had a lot of people look at it. Not one has said anything bad about it.
I haven't had mine for a week yet, but I had someone follow me to the gas station to ask to see the interior. They liked it a lot. I also have the roast interior. This is not the Bronco I ordered, but I actually like the interior and I'm surprised about now nice it is.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
it's how the instrument panel looks in pictures that throws me off. I'd like to see one in person before '22 B&P goes live, but with how small the local Dealerships are, that won't happen. (they have no clue about their mannequins)

I'm a 2-DR Wildtrak reserve, but I've considered OBX & Badlands because I strongly dislike light tan on interiors, especially instrument panels. I'm also curious because of the Heritage editions 'special' interior and the fact it could possibly go saddle brown/roast and use the Instrument panel from the OBX.

I have plenty of time to research, unfortunately, since I have little faith in the revamped MiC and more than likely will hold out for the Modular top.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can’t say I loved the OBX roast/onyx interior but it grew on me. I could not justify the additional cost of the badlands for a daily driver. The ride will be smoother and I plan on buying a modular hardtop when available. My maxed out OBX was still 5000 cheaper.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm currently in a BDSquatch and am considering dropping back to BaseSquatch. Besides the full bash plates and rock rails - am I losing any off-road capability by considering a drop down?

The difference is almost $7k and although I would miss the MGV and washout interior (and leather bits) I don't think that's going to make the interior feel any better than what it is going to feel. I'd rather have the $7k for other upgrades potentially or just to keep in the pocket.

I would add welded rock rails and even with the full bash plates the underside would need additional armor.

EDIT: Can't add the tow pkg to base. That's a biggie for me.

Last edited:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Any OBX guys switching over to Badlands due to interior / MIC top? 1629381982637
Sponsored