Sponsored

Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just purchased a 62-64 Ford 4000 with Ford front end loader. Looks like it was used mainly for loading straw bails for alot of its life. It has front forks and a rear fork jig. Its has the 172 4 cylinder diesel in it. Hasn't run for about 3 years and the injection pump was leaking when it last ran. Everything else was said to be working. I hope to have this tractor cleaned up and refurbished without too much trouble. It needs all new hydraulic hoses and some paint. Probably also needs a PTO seal. But it appear to be a solid tractor. I have a bit of wiring to do on it aswell. I look forward to getting a bucket and a backhoe attachment for it. It would really help maintaining our roads and driveway aswell as any digging and planting that the jungle out here demands.

At the moment my big issues are rebuilding the Roosa Master pump and cleaning or changing the injectors. I am completely new to working on diesels. So gonna be a big learning curve and could always use insight from any other tractor enthusiasts.

Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! IMG_7206.JPG
Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! IMG_7205.JPG
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got some time in a couple 4000s. Can't say I enjoyed them though.

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just purchased a 62-64 Ford 4000 with Ford front end loader. Looks like it was used mainly for loading straw bails for alot of its life. It has front forks and a rear fork jig. Its has the 172 4 cylinder diesel in it. Hasn't run for about 3 years and the injection pump was leaking when it last ran. Everything else was said to be working. I hope to have this tractor cleaned up and refurbished without too much trouble. It needs all new hydraulic hoses and some paint. Probably also needs a PTO seal. But it appear to be a solid tractor. I have a bit of wiring to do on it aswell. I look forward to getting a bucket and a backhoe attachment for it. It would really help maintaining our roads and driveway aswell as any digging and planting that the jungle out here demands.

At the moment my big issues are rebuilding the Roosa Master pump and cleaning or changing the injectors. I am completely new to working on diesels. So gonna be a big learning curve and could always use insight from any other tractor enthusiasts.

Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! IMG_7205.JPG
You have a British 4cylinder tractor, at least the engine was built over there. Parts are available which is a good thing but still harder to find than the 3 cyclinder models after 1965. Heres is a link to tractor data you can change the model year for the different engine transmission specs.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/262-ford-4000.html

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have a British 4cylinder tractor, at least the engine was built over there. Parts are available which is a good thing but still harder to find than the 3 cyclinder models after 1965. Heres is a link to tractor data you can change the model year for the different engine transmission specs.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/262-ford-4000.html
Thats what I am finding. Think Im gonna try to rebuild the pump myself, hopefully I can since it looks like they cost about the same as a brush guard and a tow package! Should be a fun project though. I didnt realize it was English made. But I could guess that looking at some of the engine design.

After the Bronco pictures today I wonder if I should try to get some Velocity Blue to paint the old tractor.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had one that looked a lot like this, same vintage, bought it for $3000, used it for 4 years when I built my place, then sold it for $3500. Gasoline though. Only thing I put in it was gas and a battery...

Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! E5514

Edit: Somewhere along the line, someone had removable teeth fabricated for the bucket. 2 bolts. Major difference in the right job...

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had one that looked a lot like this, same vintage, bought it for $3000, used it for 4 years when I built my place, then sold it for $3500. Gasoline though. Only thing I put in it was gas and a battery...

Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! E5514

Edit: Somewhere along the line, someone had removable teeth fabricated for the bucket. 2 bolts. Major difference in the right job...
I have a feeling mine is going to have some fabricating done on it, I will make all sorts of stuff for it.

Amazingly I only paid 600 for it, on the other hand it doesnt run yet :ROFLMAO:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a feeling mine is going to have some fabricating done on it, I will make all sorts of stuff for it.

Amazingly I only paid 600 for it, on the other hand it doesnt run yet :ROFLMAO:
Looks like it has the perfect base coat to repaint it in Velocity Blue :p

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got a 57 840, and my wife's cousin just inherited a 9n, trying to get them to keep and and fix it back up, they need at tractor anyways for the land they inhereted.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Good luck with the project! I'm sure you will learn a thing or two.

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good machine,I worked at a Ford tractor dealer in the 70s and 80s and the 172 diesel was pretty bulletproof.Lots of farmers had 9N and 8N models too, plenty of folks would rebuild and repaint them as a hobby too.I still remember some of the part numbers,Henry was a genius and a friend of Harvey Firestone I believe they came up with the 23 degree chevron farm tire too.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good machine,I worked at a Ford tractor dealer in the 70s and 80s and the 172 diesel was pretty bulletproof.Lots of farmers had 9N and 8N models too, plenty of folks would rebuild and repaint them as a hobby too.I still remember some of the part numbers,Henry was a genius and a friend of Harvey Firestone I believe they came up with the 23 degree chevron farm tire too.
Thats funny about the tires my dad and cousin was one of if not the first ones to shave all the tread off the tires for more traction when they started tractor pulling in the 60s or early 70s in Springfield Ohio. I believe they started with a Ford 5000. One of the last tractors he ran had an Allison aircraft engine in it!

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thats what I am finding. Think Im gonna try to rebuild the pump myself, hopefully I can since it looks like they cost about the same as a brush guard and a tow package! Should be a fun project though. I didnt realize it was English made. But I could guess that looking at some of the engine design.

After the Bronco pictures today I wonder if I should try to get some Velocity Blue to paint the old tractor.
I think there is a kit for rebuild? Saw one ....maybe on yesterdays trractors I think the repair kit is listed here. I found two kits for D engines on this page https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/...&md=2000&cat=Fuel System / Air Intake&r=mcats

here is a diret link to one https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-2000_Injector-Pump-Gasket-Set_CAV9094713.html

here is the other one i found

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-2000_Injector-Pump-Repair-Kit_CAV7135110.html

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny I should read about tractors today on the Bronco forum . I broke a steering knuckle off mine today :(
Ford Bronco Any old tractor enthusiasts out there, I just bought a Ford 4000! 20210125_150729
Sponsored