Sponsored

Any recommendations for a deflater and portable compressor?

diggs44060

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the staun deflaters..and the arb twin on bord air mounted on the k&r bracket under hood..
Fills my 35" km3's 18psi to 35psi in 60sec a tire
Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you elaborate on what this does? The only complaint I have with my SB compressor is the rubber hose gets hot and all its required attachments. Ideally I would love to remove the rubber hose totally and just put an air chuck or something on the end.
The standard fitting screws on to the tire stem, which takes time/effort and risks cross threading. An air chuck is quick, easy and cheap. However the Smittybilt requires air to continue flowing or it will overheat/shut off. Some guys redo the compressor to prevent this with the advantage of being able to measure tire pressure quickly. Alternatively, buy an open flow air chuck and you can leave the compressor running even when the line isn’t connected.

In practice this means I can leave the compressor in front of the Bronco while I go around to all 4 tires AND use the air chuck to quickly connect and disconnect. Saves a few minutes and is seamless.

Most air chucks are closed flow so you have to look around a bit.

Last edited:

SgtMaj Bruce

Everglades
First Name
Bruce Keirnan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Anyone have a deflator and portable compressor they really like?
I'm trying to find a deflator & gauge with a long enough hose I can stand and do it.
I know this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask, what’s all the talk about a deflator? I have only had my Bronco for 6 months and this is new to me. What’s it used for.
IMG_1437.jpeg

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask, what’s all the talk about a deflator? I have only had my Bronco for 6 months and this is new to me. What’s it used for.
Deflators are devices one affixes to the tire stem; they let out a certain amount of air based upon what the user has set the deflator for. So one hits the trail head, affixes the deflator(s) and allows the tire(s) to drop down to the desired wheeling pressure then - IMPORTANT - removes the deflators before proceeding. Beats the "traditional" method of using a key and guessing or repeated "let some out, measure, repeat as needed".

Staun and Coyote are two of the name brand products for this.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Any recommendations for a deflater and portable compressor? IMG_1437
There are specific valve stem components that will deflate the tires for off-road use to a consistent pressure as opposed to letting air out manually and checking over and over again with a pressure gauge. Just turn them on and when they reach the desired pressure, they seal up again.

Then you'll need some capability to refill the tires for on street driving. Some busier places actually have compressor facilities available for that purpose, but they are few and far between - especially since there are thousands of places you can go. Having some kind of on-board capability allows you to do that when needed. Additionally, you can help others who might not be as 'prepared' as you.

Be forewarned, a smallish compressor will take a LONG time to refill all 4 tires. I've heard people invest in a portable power station (useful for various other camping needs) and plug in a pancake compressor for air-up needs. These take up valuable space, I know. It's just a choice. There's also a lot of Portable inflators that can be used as well - many are battery operated.

Sponsored

SgtMaj Bruce

Everglades
First Name
Bruce Keirnan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Deflators are devices one affixes to the tire stem; they let out a certain amount of air based upon what the user has set the deflator for. So one hits the trail head, affixes the deflator(s) and allows the tire(s) to drop down to the desired wheeling pressure then - IMPORTANT - removes the deflators before proceeding. Beats the "traditional" method of using a key and guessing or repeated "let some out, measure, repeat as needed".

Staun and Coyote are two of the name brand products for this.
There are specific valve stem components that will deflate the tires for off-road use to a consistent pressure as opposed to letting air out manually and checking over and over again with a pressure gauge. Just turn them on and when they reach the desired pressure, they seal up again.

Then you'll need some capability to refill the tires for on street driving. Some busier places actually have compressor facilities available for that purpose, but they are few and far between - especially since there are thousands of places you can go. Having some kind of on-board capability allows you to do that when needed. Additionally, you can help others who might not be as 'prepared' as you.

Be forewarned, a smallish compressor will take a LONG time to refill all 4 tires. I've heard people invest in a portable power station (useful for various other camping needs) and plug in a pancake compressor for air-up needs. These take up valuable space, I know. It's just a choice. There's also a lot of Portable inflators that can be used as well - many are battery operated.
Thanks for the information on the deflator. I guess when you take your Bronco out in the trail there times when you want less air in the tires depending on the terrain your on.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

simply, airing down tires for off road use.

Lower air pressure helps with a smoother ride and absorbing the small rocks/bumps, a longer and slightly wider contact patch for increased traction and less impact on the terrain. There is no "right" pressure to air down to, since every vehicle, tire, driver, terrain, etc will have different preferences and requirements.

Too low and you sacrifice clearance and steering control. You also increase the risk of losing a bead or damaging a sidewall.

Too high and the tire slips too much or digs too deep (sand and snow) and you end up losing traction.

I have run everything from 2psi to 25 psi on my various rigs, depending on terrain, vehicle load, expected speed, etc.

My 3900# rock crawler on 42's runs 6-1/2 rear and 7psi front. Front tires have 275# of water in them and weigh 425# total (each). My 7000+# FZJ80 Land Cruiser with a full week of camping gear and the roof top tent is usually around 22psi with 35's for a Rubicon run.

Ouray/Silverton CO type wheeling is less technical (mostly) and I run 22-24psi in the Land Cruiser. I generally don't air up for a week or three. A day on the sand at Sand Hollow outside Hurricane UT will push that same rig down to 12-16psi, depending on how dry/soft the sand is. That low pressure requires airing up before making the 20 minute drive home.

Everyone should be playing with tire pressure to see what works best for them. Easier to start high and work down.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The standard fitting screws on to the tire stem, which takes time/effort and risks cross threading. An air chuck is quick, easy and cheap. However the Smittybilt requires air to continue flowing or it will overheat/shut off. Some guys redo the compressor to prevent this with the advantage of being able to measure tire pressure quickly. Alternatively, buy an open flow air chuck and you can leave the compressor running even when the line isn’t connected.

In practice this means I can leave the compressor in front of the Bronco while I go around to all 4 tires AND use the air chuck to quickly connect and disconnect. Saves a few minutes and is seamless.

Most air chucks are closed flow so you have to look around a bit.
Ah i get it now. With my 4 tire inflator, I hook everything up, the flip on the compressor and just turn it off when my dash reads 34/35 psi for all 4.

The problem I had ran into was the hoses don't seem to have normal threads. At some point I had added this to my Amazon shopping list and I think it may be the adapter to remove the rubber hose and be able to thread "normal" air compressor stuff into it... I'd have to double check but just haven't worried about it because it works now.

1/4" BSPP Male (short) to 1/4" NPT Female https://a.co/d/3i7yVvz

Mgatto

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford F450/ 2023 Ford Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a twin ARB unit that sits in my spare tire mount so it is hidden. I have a port coming out the side that I hook a 4 tire speed flat unit to it. I set the pressure to deflate and inflate all at once. Works great.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

Sponsored

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

routhless

Badlands
First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had this deflator and this compressor for about 3 years now and have been happy with them both. There is a smaller version of the compressor that’s a little cheaper but will take longer to inflate.

I personally don’t have any experience with the Staun deflators but I’ve heard great things about them

PTTyler

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
powertank.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've tried just about every deflator on the market and have previously sold Stauns and Coyotes through our store. They work great.

One auto-deflator that hasn't yet been mentioned are Trailhead deflators. The number one benefit to Trailheads is that the set screw is internal and nearly impossible to become misadjusted. They're also easier to clean.

Pre-set to 12 psi and proudly Made in the USA.

We private label the Trailheads and give you a few upgrades over the standard kit like quick, pull-off push-on valve stem caps, a digital tire pressure gauge, and an upgraded storage pouch.

https://powertank.com/products/thd-8100
Sponsored