Sponsored

Any roof rack that has higher than 100lbs limit?

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford roof rails appear to have only a 100 lb limit while moving (I think 400 static). What sets that limit? The Bronco's cage or the roof rails themselves?
To carry two kayaks I need more than 100 lbs.
Does anyone make one that will hold more?

Either two kayaks or some camping gear and a couple Rotopaxs of fuel and one of water aren't so light either

Thanks
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suspect the limitation is not in the roof rack itself. The front of the roof rack is attached to A-pillar, but the rear of the roof rack attaches to the hard top roof. So I betcha the limitation is the hard top.

The Bronco itself surely supports more than ~400 lbs. If it doesn't, rollover crash tests are going to be miserable.

So you'll probably have to wait for aftermarket hard top solutions... or take the hard top off and mount it to whatever solution Yakima will come out with.

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford roof rails appear to have only a 100 lb limit while moving (I think 400 static). What sets that limit? The Bronco's cage or the roof rails themselves?

Either two kayaks or some camping gear and a couple Rotopaxs of fuel and one of water aren't so light either

Thanks
4 Wheel Parts should be releasing their body-mounted roof rack at some point, and I'd expect that to have a higher load rating since it's not anchored to the hard top.

We'll probably see a number of other aftermarket racks as well, but I'd suspect that the main thing affecting the load rating is the strength of the hard top, so look for any body-mounted options instead.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The roof.

You'll need a rack that mounts to the tub and/or roll bar to add more weight. They're installed by drilling through the hard top. Nothing like that is available yet.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks
I only have Pelican kayaks and they are about 22lbs each. What is the weight on yours?

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the roof was the limit, the dynamic and static numbers would be equal, it is related the failure load of the rack in an accident and to the vehicles propensity to roll, see "moose test" YouTube videos... If you have a 100 lb. Mass like a wheel on the roof on a 30 degree slope you are traversing, you're more likely to roll than without it up there. The (vehicle manufacturer) roof dynamic rating is minus the rack weight as well. You have to figure the rack manufacturer's rating in concert with the vehicle roof rating. Also note roof structure tests where the pillars have to resist caving in. Many smaller vehicles can support their own weight inverted.

Last edited:

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How in the world can they sell rooftop tents if the weight limit is 100/400 lbs?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the roof was the limit, the dynamic and static numbers would be equal,
maybe going straight on a flat road, but not cornering or down bumpy trails. Have something heavy up there pulling to the sides or bouncing up and down, the MIC top will probably just rip off it's mounting screws or cave in, it's not made for that kind of dynamics I'd think.
As for roll over, I'm sure the hard top will fold like it's made of paper, that's why there's a roll cage underneath. There's no way the MIC top can hold the weight of the Bronco.

To really add weight on top you'll have to go with an exoskeleton kind of setup or one that is mounted through the hard top to the roll bar in back. Both will be available soon I'm sure.

I'm going soft top, so no rack for me, I want to be able to use my soft top, not have some stuff in the way up there. I'll most likely get the modular hitch mounted swing out set from Yakima, need a bike rack anyway and can add cargo platform(s) or box(es) as needed.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How in the world can they sell rooftop tents if the weight limit is 100/400 lbs?
there are some very light ones. Just make sure the people that sleep in it are also light :-D

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As for roll over, I'm sure the hard top will fold like it's made of paper, that's why there's a roll cage underneath. There's no way the MIC top can hold the weight of the Bronco.
Of course it will not, it has the structural integrity of papier mâché. My point is that roof racks are a terrible idea, but a poor compromise when interior volume or a trailer aren't options. Roof racks are a last resort. "Deer racks" are a much better option. Ford even sells one for the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Any roof rack that has higher than 100lbs limit? Screenshot_20210826-123521_DuckDuckGo

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gobi, Prisnu, Front Runner, Rocky Road…all TBD.

Gobi just launched a signup page.

I’m digging those SMS…gotta look into how they work on hard top for later down the line.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only have Pelican kayaks and they are about 22lbs each. What is the weight on yours?
Right at 50 lbs for mine and 45 for my GF's smaller one..
Sponsored