Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone heard anything lately in regards to the Bronco ECM/BCM being locked down in regards to tuning? I’d like to stay with the 2.3/7 spd combo and a tuner later on, but I saw they may lock the tuning specs down, and if that’s the case I don’t want to be stuck with stock tuning and would possibly opt for the 2.7.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gr8Hortoni

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I should add, I’m not looking for stupid power, but I would like the ability to add a little extra power/torque to the 2.3, something along the lines of the 5 star tune for the Ranger. I’d be plenty happy at a 315/370 line in the 2.3 and still keep the manual. Good numbers with an awesome crawl ratio.
If they are locking it down, might as well go with the 2.7 and get real world numbers around 275/325-350. Take what’s available at that point.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There have been rumors of them making the codes harder to decipher, but they will be crackable in time. 2.3 will have a factory tune available. Unfortunately, it won't be great and is over twice as much as aftermarket.

OP
OP
Gr8Hortoni

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly, I’d be ok with a Ford Performance tune while under factory warranty even. Still makes it respectable around 300/350. Haven’t heard anything lately in regards to ford doing it for the Bronco yet. Obviously it’ll probably be a minute for them to put it out after release, just trying not to be stuck without affordable options.

Still pining for that 5 star tune though....

307Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi Evo MR 2012 Mercedes AMG C63
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Honestly, I’d be ok with a Ford Performance tune while under factory warranty even. Still makes it respectable around 300/350. Haven’t heard anything lately in regards to ford doing it for the Bronco yet. Obviously it’ll probably be a minute for them to put it out after release, just trying not to be stuck without affordable options.

Still pining for that 5 star tune though....
If you go on Lethal Performance's website they have 2021 Bronco as a vehicle choice now when you click the "shop now" drop down box. No specific items available to buy yet, but custom tuning is one of the choices they have listed. Also, I read an article somewhere (can't remember where, I've read so many of 'em about the Bronco) that said Ford would be partnering with their "chosen 3rd party vendors" to offer performance tunes, so hopefully there'll be a few out there. I'm going with the 2.7L and already planning on a Lund Racing tune if/when they're available.
***Just found the link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/ford-working-with-the-aftermarket-to-tune-2021-bronco/***

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Every generation, mfgs make their ECM’s harder and harder to get into, and tuners have to get creative with new ways to get into the tables.

I believe the L5P Duramax ECU was real hard to get into and had to be shipped to be flashed manually for a while before they figured out how to reflash with an OBD plug in module. Dmax guys can correct me on that If I’m wrong on the generation.

B9 generation Audis have been tough for places like APR and 034 to tune but they’ve made significant progress.

No device is impenetrable, and tuners will get into the ECU’s, it just might take a bit depending on how un-fun Ford was feeling when they sourced the ECU.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Every generation, mfgs make their ECM’s harder and harder to get into, and tuners have to get creative with new ways to get into the tables.

I believe the L5P Duramax ECU was real hard to get into and had to be shipped to be flashed manually for a while before they figured out how to reflash with an OBD plug in module. Dmax guys can correct me on that If I’m wrong on the generation.

B9 generation Audis have been tough for places like APR and 034 to tune but they’ve made significant progress.

No device is impenetrable, and tuners will get into the ECU’s, it just might take a bit depending on how un-fun Ford was feeling when they sourced the ECU.
Ford is the most lenient of the big 3 in regards to tuning. FCA either requires a PCM swap ( do that and a permanent code pops in the BCM ) or bypassing the OBD port with a connector in the trunk. I'm sure that trick will be fixed soon enough.

Reactions: RG7

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Radio silence from Ford. I'm still not convinced they offer a tune on the 2.3.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The new admin in dc has plans for modifying engines and it isn’t promising. I would get the 2.7 and be safe

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would the 2.3 ecu be tough to hack but not the 2.7?

I’m getting a basemansquatch and confident there will be tuning for it just as there is for the Mustang, Ranger and Focus.

Cobb accessport, downpipe, intercooler and E30 tune will be 100ish whp/100wtq over stock.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gr8Hortoni

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you go on Lethal Performance's website they have 2021 Bronco as a vehicle choice now when you click the "shop now" drop down box. No specific items available to buy yet, but custom tuning is one of the choices they have listed. Also, I read an article somewhere (can't remember where, I've read so many of 'em about the Bronco) that said Ford would be partnering with their "chosen 3rd party vendors" to offer performance tunes, so hopefully there'll be a few out there. I'm going with the 2.7L and already planning on a Lund Racing tune if/when they're available.
***Just found the link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/ford-working-with-the-aftermarket-to-tune-2021-bronco/***
5 star has a drop down for Broncos too, blank as well if I recall.

Ford is the most lenient of the big 3 in regards to tuning. FCA either requires a PCM swap ( do that and a permanent code pops in the BCM ) or bypassing the OBD port with a connector in the trunk. I'm sure that trick will be fixed soon enough.
Jeep has the Tazer mini for bypassing the “firewall”, at least for on board options, think Forscan is very similar.

Radio silence from Ford. I'm still not convinced they offer a tune on the 2.3.
I hope you’re wrong, particularly since they have it for the Ranger already, but that would be my luck going with the 2.3.

OP
OP
Gr8Hortoni

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why would the 2.3 ecu be tough to hack but not the 2.7?

I’m getting a basemansquatch and confident there will be tuning for it just as there is for the Mustang, Ranger and Focus.

Cobb accessport, downpipe, intercooler and E30 tune will be 100ish whp/100wtq over stock.
If ones locked down, both will be. I was simply referring to the added power/torque the 2.7 brings with it stock. Don’t want to sacrifice the manual trans if I have the potential to add affordable power/torque. If tunes aren’t available/limited, it makes my decision harder. That’s where I was going with it.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep has the Tazer mini for bypassing the “firewall”, at least for on board options, think Forscan is very similar.
But for actual tuning, you'll need a PCM swap.

From traildash:

The most versatile performance programmer and on-dash monitor on the market today for Jeepis now equipped with 2018-2020 JL Wrangler coverage! TrailDash2 PN 42051-JL is a PCM swap SKU that includes our bypass module

From diablo sport, all deal with PCMs

2019 Jeep® JL SKUs
PCM-JL363019 – Modified PCM Only 2019 3.6L Jeep® JL
PKITJL363019-i3 – Modified PCM & inTune i3 Platinum Combo 2019 3.6L Jeep® JL
PKITJL363019-T2 – Modified PCM & Trinity 2 Platinum Combo 2019 3.6L Jeep® JL
8420-BR – inTune i3 Platinum PCM Swap for 18/19 Jeep® JL 3.6L (Race/CMR)
9420-BR – Trinity T2 Platinum PCM Swap for 18/19 Jeep® JL 3.6L (Race/CMR)

Last edited:

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford has a tune for the 2.3 for the mustang and ranger. No reason for them not to have one for the bronco.
Those don't have the 7-speed in the bronco. New transmission with a supposed torque tolerance close to where a tune gets you. Knowing people that tune generally do other mods, sounds like a recipe for lots of blown transmissions.

Mustang has a different transmission. And the ranger doesn't have an engine option with HP numbers almost identical to what the 2.3 gets with a tune. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't take it as a given.
Sponsored