Sponsored

Any way to always display what gear I’m in?

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is there no way for the car to always display what gear I’m in?

I know I can hit the manual shift button on the shifter to change gears and it will display the gear for a few moments. This isn’t what I’m talking about.

I’m looking for that gear to constantly be displayed. Why? So I can know my vehicle.

So I can get a feel for what 4th gear can do vs 5th gear etc.

So I can look down and see if I want to downshift before this hill.

So I can look and see if its safe to downshift into this turn.

EDIT: its been very disappointing and really weird not to have a gear indicator. Is there really that big a change in driving in the past 20 years that most everybody doesn’t even care to know what gear their in? Do folks not have any connection with what their engine is doing? I don’t get it. Its fine, but I don’t get it.

So i ask, has anyone if you brilliant and persistent folks heard of or found a way to get the gear indicator to always display?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was about to say that the gear display is always active for me... but I'm assuming that's a manual transmission thing and not how it works on the automatic-equipped Broncos.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had that in my Jeep, and wish all vehicles had it. These days, all auto vehicles' computers know what gear they're in so why not display it?

Although, I'll take displaying the gauges all at once in my bronco over the gear indicator in my jeep ;)

atlawson

Wildtrak
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022 Wildtrack Lux w/ Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Both my super duty and expedition allow me to display the gear number on the dash, but not my bronco. Disappointed to say the least!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And, when it comes to disappointed, don't even get me started on the features that my Mustang GT Premium had 10 years ago for half the price: customizable dahs and ambient light colors, pony projectors, and a V8.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was about to say that the gear display is always active for me... but I'm assuming that's a manual transmission thing and not how it works on the automatic-equipped Broncos.
Are you just being cheeky, in a “I know what position my shift lever is in” kinda way? Or do you actually have a digital display of your current gear?

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Are you just being cheeky, in a “I know what position my shift lever is in” kinda way? Or do you actually have a digital display of your current gear?
At the top of the tach it shows what gear you are in if you have a manual.

honorableh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Manual always has gear listed in the gauge cluster. It's helpful since the short throws between shifts make it more difficult to feel which gear you are in

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At the top of the tach it shows what gear you are in if you have a manual.
Manual always has gear listed in the gauge cluster. It's helpful since the short throws between shifts make it more difficult to feel which gear you are in
Wow, I never heard that one. Well, that checks out using Ford logic. Kinda like how the 2-door has rear seat cupholders, but the 4-door “family wagon” doesn’t. (Unless you get leather, which obviously you would want if you have kids, and not wash-out MGV…) 🤪

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Could someone install a gear indicator LED? I know they make them for sequential/race use.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gear always displays for me. First vehicle I have ever had that does that.

...really handy. I mean, my hand is on the shifter, so you think I would know where I left it.

For some reason, that's apparently only on the stick shift though. Which seems dumb, the F-150 tells you which gear you are in and those are automatics.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why does it matter in an auto? My f150 has it and it is nice but I’m not sure if I’d give a shit either way.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like to know what gear I'm in as well. My Jeep doesn't show the gear, but it does show when my torque converter is locked (aka ECO).

I'm a bit surprised with all the menus that the Bronco has, one of them doesn't show the gear.

And yes, people don't care anymore. They just want to drive and be oblivious to the status of their vehicle. This is the reason new cars have so much granny crap built into them...because drivers don't even see the big ass warning flashing in their dash.
Sponsored