Sponsored

Any way to reduce turbo lag without exceeding torque?

Madman

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1948 Willys CJ2A, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a 2.7l big bend at the dealership when it first landed to see if I wanted to place an order.. my biggest observation was the long turbo lag… power was fine when the lag delay had passed… any ideas on modding that without exceeding the limits?
Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aftermarket blow off valve and intercooler are probably your safest options.

If you're feeling particularly froggy you can do anti-lag (super creative name) which basically causes exhaust gasses to explode in the exhaust manifold when you let off the throttle, keeping the turbo spooled. Ever seen a Group B rally car acting all pissed off popping, banging and spitting flames? That's anti-lag. Tons of fun but maybe best left on racecars.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford is apparently electronically limiting launch torque to keep the driveline parts alive through warranty. It feels like more than turbo lag, such as fuel map, timing, etc. I’m sure we can eventually tune our way around that, but be prepared to find the next weak link In the system, I.e. trans, u joints , etc.

The 2.7 really is plenty peppy past 1500 rpm, but that initial launch is a bit disappointing, especially when you know the potential it has.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really as applicable to the 2.7L as it is to my 2.3L since it's only available with the auto, but I assume you can still manually select gears? If so, keep the engine in on the boost manually? :)

OP
OP
Madman

Madman

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is apparently electronically limiting launch torque to keep the driveline parts alive through warranty. It feels like more than turbo lag, such as fuel map, timing, etc. I’m sure we can eventually tune our way around that, but be prepared to find the next weak link In the system, I.e. trans, u joints , etc.

The 2.7 really is plenty peppy past 1500 rpm, but that initial launch is a bit disappointing, especially when you know the potential it has.
I agree… I’m not talking boosting to some ungodly amount of hp… it’s just felt like you hit the throttle and the engine starts to rev then after what seems 2-4 seconds the turbo decides to do it’s thing… it’s still powerful enough… I guess it’s just the perfectionist mechanic in me that thinks the lag is excessive…. I thought maybe that the dealership may have detuned it a bit since they aren’t selling their demo rigs… I’ll talk to my salesman about it next week and see if that’s possibly the case

Sponsored

Ricks73eb

First Edition
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 bronco, 77f100, 90 mustang, 05 f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ahhh the old find the weak link strategy.. did that with my 77eb.. turns out it's always the wallet.. 😉

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you mean turbo lag from a dead stop or during normal driving while already moving?
There will be some lag from a stop. Not much you can do about it unless you power brake to get the boost going, or add a nitrous setup. The turbo isn't spinning very fast until you get the rpms up and the exhaust gas flowing.
Nitrous can add some hp during that lag time by adding extra fuel and O2.

If you want power off the line, a supercharger will do that since it's making boost all the time. Turbos rely on rpms and exhaust flow, so the boost isn't there just off idle..... unless you power brake.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Downpipes or high flow cats will speed up them tiny turbo’s. Intercooler or bov won’t do anything for faster turbo spool. I’m sure AMS will have some upgrades for the bronco next year. I bet at least a larger intercooler and intakes like they have for the f150.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I suspect we will get good improvements out of tuning... It will take a little while for the tuners to get good though. I wouldn't rush it.

OP
OP
Madman

Madman

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you mean turbo lag from a dead stop or during normal driving while already moving?
There will be some lag from a stop. Not much you can do about it unless you power brake to get the boost going, or add a nitrous setup. The turbo isn't spinning very fast until you get the rpms up and the exhaust gas flowing.
Nitrous can add some hp during that lag time by adding extra fuel and O2.

If you want power off the line, a supercharger will do that since it's making boost all the time. Turbos rely on rpms and exhaust flow, so the boost isn't there just off idle..... unless you power brake.
It was moving… I know from a dead stop to expect lag….. I noticed it most in a scenario like you want to pass a vehicle… I am not buying a bronco to drag race it! Lol… but I’d like a little more umpf when I’m trying to accelerate for a pass and such

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drove a 2.7l big bend at the dealership when it first landed to see if I wanted to place an order.. my biggest observation was the long turbo lag… power was fine when the lag delay had passed… any ideas on modding that without exceeding the limits?
It takes time to go from little volume at idle to functional volume to build boost. This is the reason for the big/small turbo arrangement on the EB family. Short of adding an electric motor assist to pre-spool the turbo there's not much else that can be done. FWIW, having a 2.7 in the Fusion Sport for the last 4 years, roll into the throttle mildly aggressively and it builds boost faster than stomping on it.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was moving… I know from a dead stop to expect lag….. I noticed it most in a scenario like you want to pass a vehicle… I am not buying a bronco to drag race it! Lol… but I’d like a little more umpf when I’m trying to accelerate for a pass and such
There will be some lag there too. You'll have to anticipate the need, downshift to get the rpms up a little, boost will come in faster from 2500 rpm than it will at 1500 rpm. I don't know how fast the Ford system responds, ie, is it better in Sport mode than Eco?
A tune should help too. We'll have to see what they come up with.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dual turbos should be pretty non-laggy. Are you sure it isn’t the tranny working through a bunch of gears down low?

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got out of the break in period in my 2.7 Badlands. Now that I’m willing to just pin it to the floor the 2.7 seems very powerful. I don’t feel much lag while passing but I’ve driven turbo cars for years so it probably depends what you’re comparing it to.

OP
OP
Madman

Madman

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got out of the break in period in my 2.7 Badlands. Now that I’m willing to just pin it to the floor the 2.7 seems very powerful. I don’t feel much lag while passing but I’ve driven turbo cars for years so it probably depends what you’re comparing it to.
A 2016 fusion 2.0 and 2017 Raptor… I know the raptor is a different animal but compared to my single turbo fusion it was off… I’ll wait to get mine I guess and see how it goes
Sponsored