Sponsored

Any way to reduce turbo lag without exceeding torque?

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yup, probably torque limited to protect that wimpy pos 10r60. The 2.7 is surprisingly peppy off the line in the F150s.

Really unbelievable and extremely disappointing that Ford cheaped out and used and undersized trans.
Sponsored

Bybotie

Badlands
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge ST, 2021 Mustang Mach1 HP, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you feel is in the tune from Ford. There is no turbo lag in a gen2 2.7L as the exhaust manifolds are part of the heads. There might be some loss "downstream" but there is no lag. I suspect Ford has the wastegates set to dump boost in low gears to make the engine more linear feeling. Otherwise, this thing would be worthless trying to rock crawl, and Trail Control would not exist.

L&Ebronco

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look at the banks pedal monster. Gives it more drive by wire feel w instant feedback. Put it in my wife’s bronco and she loves how much more peppy it feels. Hauls ass now.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was moving… I know from a dead stop to expect lag….. I noticed it most in a scenario like you want to pass a vehicle… I am not buying a bronco to drag race it! Lol… but I’d like a little more umpf when I’m trying to accelerate for a pass and such
i have a 2.7 4 door, Lux badlands, and it’s like a rocket passing, not really much lag. And I had a GT350 before this so it’s not like I’m used to going slow. I have been using 93 octane though

Sponsored

Logan@Lethal

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
An atmospheric BOV could help with that but like KnoxGnater mentioned, it sounds like it is electronically limited. Eventually when tuning becomes available, that may be the solution to clean it up a bit. Lethalperformance.com

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A Pedal Commander will help with that. I have a Gen2 Raptor and when I first got it (before we tuned it) it had that lag. The Pedal Commander helped BIG TIME. It's a nice plug and play add-on that will make your Bronco feel faster (although it's not any faster you just have more response)

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/pedal-commander-pc18-bluetooth-throttle-response-controller/
For a lack of a better way to say it, don't those boxes just take the actual throttle input and magnify it? So like 10% actual throttle input is magnified to 50% and makes it feel peppier? I do hope im wrong though.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aftermarket blow off valve and intercooler are probably your safest options.

If you're feeling particularly froggy you can do anti-lag (super creative name) which basically causes exhaust gasses to explode in the exhaust manifold when you let off the throttle, keeping the turbo spooled. Ever seen a Group B rally car acting all pissed off popping, banging and spitting flames? That's anti-lag. Tons of fun but maybe best left on racecars.

You'll inadvertently drive down the home prices when panicked neighbors think there are guns being shot xD

Besides that though, definitely as Chewbacca said, Intercooler/Blow Off Valve

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pedal Commander is junk. Just be more aggressive with your toes to get the same affect.

Tuning, 100%. Ecoboost engines have TINY turbos that spool ridiculously fast. Most of what you perceive as lag is in the stock tune. Ford has a LOT of nannies to limit launch torque. My 2.7 Fusion felt like a dog off the line with a stock tune, unable to build any boost at launch whatsoever. With a tune, I can actually brake-boost enough to make traction a concern (with awd).

BTW, an intercooler will make lag worse (unless you get a smaller one which will limit power), but only marginally since the turbos spool so fast.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Aftermarket blow off valve and intercooler are probably your safest options.
I don't think Blow off Valve reduce turbo lag...
Its really just for cosmetic, sounds and turbo surges.
Modern cars have pressure recirculation system built-in to mitigate turbo surges.
Bronco doesn't have HUGE aftermarket turbos, having a BOV is really just for sounds.

Intercooler doesn't always reduce turbo lag as well.
For example, a larger intercooler increase the distance/volume the air travels, thus more lag.

Both could achieve the opposite effects.

Downpipe modification could help reduce turbo lags though.
Sponsored