Sponsored

Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet?

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning an extensive onboard air system with tank. The only place I can figure to put the tank safely is where the stock muffler currently sits. This isnt a brodozer or mall crawler. I would like the exhaust to be as tucked away as possible. Would consider an axle dump setup as well. Any ideas for a system that is still relatively quiet and minimal drone? I want to stay married as long as I can.
Will need a mid muffler and then pipe to the back. I fit a 3 gallon in my rear. I’ll walk my lazy ass out to the garage and post some pics for ya.

I went with the awe 0FG. Had the duals on it. Sounded like I had tin cans for mufflers. Took the duals off and put the crawler shorty on. Much deeper tone but not factory quiet. She’s sound a little rowdy upward of 3k rpm. If you stay out of the pedal she’s relatively quiet. Loudest through first and second. Quiet at a cruise on the highway.

Arb dual under the hood on a lifter switch. That runs back to a 3 gallon air tank where the oem muffler was.

That feeds a Arb remote kit next to the hitch that I can run straight 150psi out of it. I have a plug in regulator/separator for controlled air for air tools.

The air tank also feeds the inflate station in the inside rear panel then runs to the 5 port manifold above it. Just set your desired psi. Plug hose in, beeps when it’s done.

I put a manual drain next to the remote kit and ran a hose off that valve under the truck to save on the ears when draining

Then rigged up my inflate/deflate hoses, they go behind the drivers seat for now.

The arb dual on the 3 gallon was enough to install my rear bumper back up lights with a 1 hp grinder. Impact had no issue breaking the lugs loose. Air hammer works, but nothing to test it one yet

I store most the air stuff in the tailgate compartment.

Now you won’t get 100% duty with the air tools but they are useable.

I will be adding a second arb dual shortly next to the air tank. 2 should run tools full time work m guessing.

More info then you asked for but maybe it will give you some creative ideas to post up for others going this route.

I went with this 3 gallon. I almost grabbed a 4 but I didn’t like the port location.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071PC5VKQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Air-Su...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? 96D5E1AF-FE60-4400-85BC-47CB11F735CF
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? D149EE82-1E70-45A2-A19E-1CDD0F03D850
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? 41D71B89-0C2A-4780-95E1-7CBE32B84D01
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? 2980CBE4-3B1B-4C59-8CCA-7CF194A15929
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? A76EBE57-577D-4F1D-B1D2-43113802778D
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? 70407FCF-C840-4A01-8432-D3C95ED8B0A3
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? EE9509A3-B798-41B1-A169-16E77E71F42B
Ford Bronco Anybody do axle back or cat back exhaust yet? 36E805D2-52C6-4446-9CF4-4477908E0B1A
Sponsored

Last edited:

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude, you are a f'n legend. This is exactly what I had in mind. I was looking at a Viair pump to mount on the rear bumper crossmember next to a 2.5 gal tank. The problem is that all the tanks I found in that size are 1/4" bungs. I was thinking 3/8" would be better. Did you wire the solenoid into an upfitter switch? Thanks for all the pics, that is a badass rig.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thermal R&D install and review for those that haven't heard their system yet.

Sponsored

FischSD

Wildtrak
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the detail. Looking to possibly install the Flowmaster FlowFX. Not sure if I'm going Cat back or Axle back, but functionally don't see much of a difference. Any thoughts?
I know it's been a year, but here I am in the same boat as you for my Wildtrak. Did you send up going with the FlowFX?

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know it's been a year, but here I am in the same boat as you for my Wildtrak. Did you send up going with the FlowFX?
Ultimately I decided to stay stock. I've tried two different mufflers and have come to realize there's not much you can do to make the 2.3L sound better (deeper, throaty, etc.). Might not be the same case with the 2.7L that comes with the Wildtrak.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have yet to find an exhaust system on anything lower than a V-8 that doesn’t sound like a wet fart. 1 and 1/2 exceptions….a Dino sounds great for a six and I heard a GT40 at my dealership that was okay but still not a nice V8. I’m very tempted but I don’t think any of them will make my ears happy.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the first performance exhaust on a V6 that didn’t make my ears bleed. I wonder how it sounds inside the vehicle. Drone from a V-6 can be unbearable.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ultimately I decided to stay stock. I've tried two different mufflers and have come to realize there's not much you can do to make the 2.3L sound better (deeper, throaty, etc.). Might not be the same case with the 2.7L that comes with the Wildtrak.
Which brands did you try? I've been looking at the Ford Performance high clearance axle-back for my BD 2.3. It is a Borla design re-labeled from what I've heard.

Sponsored

FischSD

Wildtrak
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is the first performance exhaust on a V6 that didn’t make my ears bleed. I wonder how it sounds inside the vehicle. Drone from a V-6 can be unbearable.
I agree. Sounds pretty BA. Wish it wasn't as pricy though ugh

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. Sounds pretty BA. Wish it wasn't as pricy though ugh
Yeah, and I would like to get some feedback on how it sounds inside the vehicle. I did a resonator delete on my F – 150 with the 2.7 and it gives it just a little growl without any buzz and you really don’t notice it at all inside except at low speeds. If I knew that’s what I would get in the bronco, I might consider it.

FischSD

Wildtrak
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, and I would like to get some feedback on how it sounds inside the vehicle. I did a resonator delete on my F – 150 with the 2.7 and it gives it just a little growl without any buzz and you really don’t notice it at all inside except at low speeds. If I knew that’s what I would get in the bronco, I might consider it.
I’ve heard it literally says Ford performance by Borla right on it so that’s why it’s $$$. Do I want to spend the $1200…not really hahaha. Videos of it sound epic though ugh….maybe I’ll do some overtime lol

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve heard it literally says Ford performance by Borla right on it so that’s why it’s $$$. Do I want to spend the $1200…not really hahaha. Videos of it sound epic though ugh….maybe I’ll do some overtime lol
Borla is definitely quality. I put a cat back system on my F250 almost 30 years ago and it still looks and sounds just as good today as it did back then. Of course it’s on a 460 big block and it’s hard to make those sound bad.

FischSD

Wildtrak
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Borla is definitely quality. I put a cat back system on my F250 almost 30 years ago and it still looks and sounds just as good today as it did back then. Of course it’s on a 460 big block and it’s hard to make those sound bad.
Good to know! That $1200 price tag though...OUCH. I DM'd a guy who's selling one here in SoCal and am waiting to hear back. If not, I will probably just do an axle back and save some money. I like the Flowmaster Outlaw, but worried if I have the dog in the cab he may flip his lid at the noise. The FlowFX is a little quieter and the Rough Country is one of the cheapest. So hard when you can't hear them in person UGH
Sponsored